Multitool.org Forum
+-

Recent Posts

I haven’t had one apart, but they would have to be glued/epoxied on.
   I would guess the stainless steel scales are glued on.  Just a guess.  How about a photo showing how the scales fit now?  If they aren't outrageously out of line, I would just leave them alone.  Could be tricky getting the scales off without damaging them.  If you bend one, it would be ruined.  There is no guarantee that you could get them to line up any better than the experts doing the restoration.
    I know the silver scales have location holes in the scales to fit over the pins just like a cellidor knife.  I seem to remember they were glued on.  Best wishes.  Gary (IMR)
 :think:

They aren't terrible, but it still bugs me... :)
I'll be back with some photos.
Thanks!
Hi

These are just regular Cellidor scales - Right?

They should be removed by sliding a sharp thin blade through the toothpick or tweezers slot, under the scales and prizing them off .
Remember the hot water trick etc

I am sure one of the documents here will run through this process

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,43303.0.html

The Director's scales are stainless steel.
The Executive is the one with cellidor scales.
Edged Tools / Re: What Traditional Knife are you toting today?
« Last post by SteveC on Today at 12:23:26 AM »
Dawg 🐕 Lamb 🐑 and Cowboy 🤠

I would guess the stainless steel scales are glued on.  Just a guess.  How about a photo showing how the scales fit now?  If they aren't outrageously out of line, I would just leave them alone.  Could be tricky getting the scales off without damaging them.  If you bend one, it would be ruined.  There is no guarantee that you could get them to line up any better than the experts doing the restoration.
    I know the silver scales have location holes in the scales to fit over the pins just like a cellidor knife.  I seem to remember they were glued on.  Best wishes.  Gary (IMR)
 :think:
The Break Room / Re: Hybrid cars- anyone have one?
« Last post by Vidar on Today at 12:21:12 AM »
That includes taking evasive action if need be. I don't trust an autonomous vehicle to do the same, especially since they're very likely stuffed to the gills with sensors and reliant on some signal from who knows where. And what assurance do I have that some miscreant with ill intent will not try to hack such a vehicle?

I hesitate to admit it, but modern cars are better than me at correcting unwanted slides and rotations at slippery conditions. Part of the reason is that my control is limited to steering and speeding/ breaking all 4 wheels at once. The car though can control every individual wheel independently as needed - and likely much faster than I ever could. It is not a fair contest.

I similarly expect self-driving cars to become better than me at evasive actions. As above it has more control of the car and self-driving cars even add the steering. And unlike me it has full attention 360 degrees around the car at all times and with practically no reaction time. Computers are also very good at predicting where (several) moving objects will be and thus aim to avoid those. The self-driving cars might not be there yet, but I do think they will be. And probably before we know it. Widespread public use on the other hand I think is another matter - I suspect these costs plenty of money today.

And what assurance do I have that some miscreant with ill intent will not try to hack such a vehicle?

I think we can all be very assured that many of the most miscreant miscreants will indeed try to hack these vehicles. Anything from fairly innocent pranks via free taxi drives to serious offences. I assume that threat is taken seriously. On the positive side they are not running Windows at least. (As a side track US submarines has Windows.. that just doesn't sound right. :D I guess just for office tasks.)

The technology with autonomous vehicles still has a very long way to go before they're ready for rollout on any sizable scale.

I think so too. But if they can realize the ambition, and not make new major problems in the process, then I think that is real progress.

The energy absorbing steering column was in widespread use before the air bag, and it made it far less likely that a front-end collision would result in a steering column impaling the driver.

These days they have airbags everywhere I look so not just the driver and not just impact from the front. There is even one under the bonnet of our car. In case of collision I suppose it will fling some pedestrian or hapless elk over the car instead of into the cabin? (I don't really want to find out!)

Hi

These are just regular Cellidor scales - Right?

They should be removed by sliding a sharp thin blade through the toothpick or tweezers slot, under the scales and prizing them off .
Remember the hot water trick etc

I am sure one of the documents here will run through this process

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,43303.0.html
Does anybody know how the Director scales are attached? Are they glued on?
I bought a fairly beat up Director (dull scissors with missing spring, bent SD tip on orange peeler, dull blades, etc.). It has been restored under warranty - they did an excellent job, all the tools are like new - just that the scales don't sit quite well over the external liners anymore. So I am thinking about reattaching them, but I don't know how to remove them in the first place. I can't find any disassembly videos or instructions online.
Any advice is highly appreciated!
Thanks.  :hatsoff:
« Last post by Gareth on May 27, 2024, 11:06:19 PM »
Dawg 🐕 Lamb 🐑 and Cowboy 🤠

they make a lovely set. :drool:
« Last post by Gareth on May 27, 2024, 11:05:49 PM »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $98.12
PayPal Fees: $5.09
Net Balance: $93.03
Below Goal: $206.97
Site Currency: USD