Multitool.org Forum
+-

Recent Posts

Edged Tools / Re: Giants of June/Big Blades Challenge - June 2024
« Last post by nate j on Today at 03:14:30 AM »
I can't participate in June, but this is a fun Challenge for Big Steel aficionados.    :cheers:

(Image removed from quote.)
You’ll be missed PN.

My Voyager and Espada will both be making appearances in this challenge.
Swiss Army Knights Forum / Re: Explorer Challenge May 2024
« Last post by nate j on Today at 03:10:10 AM »
Day 2

What can I say, except that these are pretty decent for cheaper smokes…

Cool idea to track tool usage GB.  I think my challenge totals after day 2 are
Small Blade 5x
Scissors 3x
The Mod Squad / Wenger Safari mod for whittling
« Last post by mfturner on Today at 03:03:20 AM »
I am mid way through converting an old Safari into a dedicated whittling tool, removing the non working scissors.   I’m looking for opinions on three topics.   Details and clarification further down, but first the questions:

1.  Would you choose:
A.  two layer,  2 blades, saw and awl or
B.  three layer, 2 blades, saw, openers, awl and Phillips.

2.  I will be left with a spare liner or two anyway, would you add them into the build to make the body a little more robust?  Boy, they are flimsy…

3.   I cannot think of a use for the Phillips for   whittling, has anyone converted the Phillips into a something else, a mini gouge or chisel?

Details

I have a mid 1990’s Wenger Safari whose scissors never worked and has sat in a drawer for twenty years.  Aside from the scissors, it also taught me that I don’t like the thickness of a four layer knife, and the locking lever for the main blade catches in your pocket terribly.  So I disliked it for every day, and bought a LM Micra and didn’t look back.

YouTube and forum entries like this emboldened me to try and disassemble it recently, worst case I would throw it in the trash.  It was a good practice knife for disassembly and despite my heavy handiness I think I can reuse the pins and liners for reassembly.  In my test assemblies I am converging on one of these two builds:

1.  As a three layer, blades + saw + opener build, 68 grams.  The scales would work as is with no modification.    This not only has the locking main blade, but also has the self locking bottle opener/flat head screwdriver.   So it’s like a small Vic Hiker with some locking tools.   That means I could sharpen it to use as a chisel relatively safely, that’s cool.  About 68 grams for this three layer build, that’s great.  Not sure what I’d use the Phillips or the can opener for, maybe I could sharpen the can opener to use as a spoon knife?

2.  As a  two layer, blades + saw build, swapping the awl awkwardly for the Phillips, 46 grams.  Maybe like a small Vic Walker .  The awl is really impossible to open if the nail nick faces the liner, and is super tight to open if you flip it to expose the nail nick, because the pivot hole is offset.  That in turn also makes the two blades very stiff to open, not really a bad thing.  The scales are cut awkwardly for this configuration, and I would shave a bit off of the end of the scale where it used to conform with the Phillips.

So 2 layer minimalist or 3 layer with extra tools I may not use.  Either feels great in the hand, I think those are my sweet spot.  Neither would be fast access in the pocket because of the lock lever.

Hopefully a photo of the disassembled layers will upload below.

IMG_2024-05-02-210001.jpg
* IMG_2024-05-02-210001.jpg (Filesize: 286.53 KB)
 :like: Thank you!  That adapter is a trick to find for some reason.
Swiss Army Knights Forum / Re: Don't degrease SAK with acetone,,
« Last post by Jazz on Today at 03:02:26 AM »
I never would have guessed that Cellidor could be grippier than nylon!

I don’t understand it either, but it definitely is.
« Last post by Grand_Banana on Today at 03:00:19 AM »
Day 2

Like Antti Lammi my Explorer saw more food prep today.  I was quite sick today and baked beans, buttered Hawaiian sweet rolls, and oranges seemed to taste good for dinner. 

Large blade for the bread and butter.  Can opener for the oranges and beans.  Scissors opened several popsicles today.

IMG_3886.jpg
* IMG_3886.jpg (Filesize: 116.79 KB)

Tools used:
Large blade x2
Can opener x1
Scissors x1
Leatherman Tools / Re: MAY 2024 MICRA 30 Day Challenge
« Last post by TexasAKM on Today at 02:56:43 AM »
Day 2

Enjoying a little dark chocolate.

20240502_194654.jpg
* 20240502_194654.jpg (Filesize: 249.74 KB)
Edged Tools / Re: Finger Choils
« Last post by David Bowen on Today at 02:55:53 AM »
I agree on smaller knives I can came in handy, making up for that shorter handle. But it's lost on really big knives, like the Vosteed RSKAOS for instance.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

« Last post by Grand_Banana on Today at 02:54:39 AM »
Great day 2 uses awl.  :like:

Day 02
Today I opened more mulch for the yard and rediscovered the shortcomings that usually prevent me from carrying the Explorer.
1 I needed pliers to pull the liner from a lighter to refill it and the Explorer doesn't have pliers.
2 I needed a saw to remove a small branch in the backyard and the Explorer doesn't have a saw.
Therefore, I'm going to have to follow Antti's example and figure out what pliers based tool to pair with it.

That’s awlways the trouble with using the Explorer outside. 

Day 2: Opening a package today, using the Explorer’s awl. Not nearly as effective as the awl on my 93mm alox knives, but still got the job done.

[ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]  

:iagree:  Is that a bodhi seed mala wrapped around your wrist?

It is! Here is the last whittle i did. A peter rabbit. Ive not had much time to whittle since my ten month old was born  :ahhh

That looks great!
« Last post by Alan K. on Today at 02:33:43 AM »
Any of those would be a good choice but I'm thinking maybe my SOG PowerLock because it's been neglected for a few years now.  I can't even remember ever carrying it since the SOG Power challenge in 2016. :twak:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%