Multitool.org Forum
+-

Recent Posts

Swiss Army Knights Forum / Re: Pioneer x defect or design?
« Last post by ed_is_dead on Today at 12:23:11 PM »
all my pre mid 80's 93mm Alox stuff with an awl has no issues nor have they ever. Another reason to seek out the old stuff and not get caught up in chasing the inferior ones of today with all of the silly colors. I would rather pay a little more for older 93mm Alox stuff than buy the modern era ones. Older old cross or old Soldier's for me and preferably pre mid 80's. Just my 2 cents on this. This is where it’s at right here. 60’s Soldier
Just looking at pics online and it seems the older models too have this design feature of using the scale as a stop. I can't comment on the better quality of the older models as I own none but have no reason to doubt you :tu:
« Last post by ed_is_dead on Today at 12:21:30 PM »
I haven't had any other issues with the 93mm awl but every single one of them makes that same mark on the edge of the scale. My first colored Alox was a blue Pioneer and when I noticed that mark I felt like you do. Now all my Alox SAKs are colored, except my Soldiers, and I've grown to be awlright with the tiny nick on each one. I love the pretty ones but I buy them to use them. As they age they each develop their own character, but it always starts with the awl mark.
I'm not a fanatic collector and all my Swiss knives are users so I'm not bothered by marks from use. This just irked me though and it makes a better sound when closing now :drink:
« Last post by ed_is_dead on Today at 12:17:41 PM »
I don't mean to disparage Victorinox; I love them. But every single awl (with one exception) I've had on a 93mm has had some minor issue or another. two Electricians from around 2012, Farmer X from this year, two pioneers (one of which is the 2010 Damascus), one of which was from 2010ish. The only one that I have that doesn't have issues is the Swiss Army 7. I've had to find various ways to fix them like filing some of the metal down on the scales, using a rubber mallet to bend things one way or another, etc. But yeah, I don't know what it is with the awls on the 93mm models but I've always had (relatively minor) issues with them.
My last pioneer x awl had a rough transition between tang and the curl over if you get me. Nothing a minute and a dremel couldn't sort. Again just me being picky.
Generally speaking I don't think there's a comparable multitool that comes to the market at it price point with such value and consistent quality.
Swiss Army Knights Forum / Re: How about a monster challenge?
« Last post by Barry Rowland on Today at 12:16:28 PM »
You know, I think that was the last big SAK Challenge... :facepalm:   I can't believe it's been that long.
« Last post by ed_is_dead on Today at 12:12:52 PM »
Hmmm. Never really gave it much thought.

Glad you’re happy with it now!! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes very happy with it now and you're quite right to have not given it much thought  :tu:
General Tool Discussion / Re: Kansept Main Street Giveaway
« Last post by pietervn on Today at 11:57:13 AM »
Lovely knife and great give-away

My favourite edc item is the Leatherman Charge Ti signed by Tim

Pete
Leatherman Tools / Re: MAY 2024 MICRA 30 Day Challenge
« Last post by Crunchie64 on Today at 10:37:33 AM »
:iagree:  that is why if I have something nice, I have to not companion carry similar tools.

I really like the garage Leatherman.... :drool:

The Micra has not struggled with anything I’ve needed to do so far. I just like to have wire cutters and a saw in case anything goes wrong on a dog walk.

The Garage 5 is pretty cool, but I really really really want to get my hands in one of the grey ones.
Leatherman Tools / Re: MAY 2024 MICRA 30 Day Challenge
« Last post by ReamerPunch on Today at 10:35:14 AM »
Day 6
The Break Room / Re: Who else is playing Wordle?
« Last post by Echotech on Today at 10:22:35 AM »
:ahhh commiserations AA hate breaking a good streak
Hand Tools / Re: Compact double ended bits
« Last post by Vidar on Today at 10:18:36 AM »
That seems like a nice compact one. Good find!  :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34