Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Squirt PS4 or Dime?

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Squirt PS4 or Dime?
on: September 10, 2013, 11:15:59 PM
Hello, I own the Squirt but am not sure if I should get the Dime because they're almost the same.
So I came to ask for your opinion. Which one is better?

I'm sure this has already been posted before, but I couldn't find the post.
Leatherman

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Squirt PS4 or Dime?
Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 11:33:19 PM
I vote squirt as I have one. Fine tool from a great company.

also if you get both you can compare........just sayin......welcome to the collecting vice.  >:D
:like:    :MTO:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 12:31:19 AM
From a design perspective, the Dime has the better bottle opener and knife blade, plus the package opener. The Squirt on the other hand has slightly stronger support on the backsprings for the pliers and less chance of those springs failing if the tool is over loaded. The scissor spring is weak on both (same design) and has failed for several members here on both models

From a manufacturing perspective, I have found the Dime to be more consistent in quality and I have three Dimes with no issues, and have had two Squirt P4's which both had quality problems.

Personally I prefer the Dime, others here prefer the Squirt

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 01:28:41 AM

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 02:11:32 AM
I vote squirt as I have one.

+1.

Which colour do you have? Mine is red. Matches my SAKS!!! :climber: :climber:
Leatherman

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 05:53:23 AM
I don't have a Squirt, but I do have a Dime and I'd vote Squirt.

The Dime is okay for the price I paid, but it feels cheap and nasty.
Certainly not in the same league as LM or Vic products.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 06:04:41 AM
I vote squirt as I have one.

+1.

Which colour do you have? Mine is red. Matches my SAKS!!! :climber: :climber:

I have a blue P4, a gray P4, and a red ES4.  Why these colors?  Because Amazon's pricing algorithm sometimes results in different prices for different colors of the same product.  Since I generally don't have a strong color preference, I usually get whichever color is cheapest at the time I make the purchase.

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 08:43:51 AM
I haven't had a Dime, but I've had like... 5 Squirts, lol. Anyway, my experience= one advantage and oe disadvantage: the scissors of one of them broke, but Leatherman are great, sent me a replacement, sth got wrong so I even got two replacements and kept my old one, lol. So... their warranty service is more than impeccable even with the tiny tools.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 08:50:07 AM
I mainly use my Dime but I suggest you get the LM, unless you open many bottles and parcels.
The LM just feels better built and costs more ofcourse.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 02:10:13 PM
Thanks for your opinions, everybody. I'll probably get the Dime if it's on sale anyways.
Leatherman

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 05:27:23 PM
Sorry if I'm late on this.

The Squirt is better in most ways. The scissors on my Squirt were considerably better than the scissors on my Dime. The wire cutters on my Dime sucked hard, were blunt, didn't work, and I had to fix them. The Squirt is also a little more friendly for pocket carry.

The Dime's bottle opener is way better, it has tweezers, and I prefer the Dime's blade edge grind.

Both suffer from a coating that is just as likely to scratch.

Dollar for dollar, i'd say they're about equal. The Leatherman is better, but costs more. The dime is a perfectly serviceable tool, with some issues, and costs less.

I still have my Squirt, and gave my Dime to my brother. I'd rather see it getting use than sitting in a shoebox or drawer somewhere.

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 11:11:12 PM
Sorry, but
 :worthless:
Leatherman

us Offline Delta10

Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 12:47:50 AM
Sorry, but
 :worthless:

Sorry, but I completely disagree. You can get pics within 5 seconds with zero effort with a simple google search. Unless there's a specific detail that needs a pic to explain, there's no reason a thread HAS to have pics in this day and age. Personally, I've learned several things from this thread. It's not fair to the people posting to try and help the OP to call their posts worthless.

Back to the original topic, I prefer the squirt. It feels sturdier in the hand. I actually don't like the bottle opener on the dime, it gets in the way too much, and I usually have several others on me from various other tools anyway.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 10:22:39 PM
I have both a Dime and a PS4. People may have gathered I'm not a fan of the Dime.

I prefer the blade shape on the Dime but it's not as good quality as the one on the Squirt. I half-reground the Squirt's blade so it wasn't a chisel grind and that was quite hard to do. The Dime came completely blunt out of the box so I had to sharpen it, and when I did a lot of steel came off very quickly. The bottle opener is better on the Dime.

Other than that, where they have comparable implements I find the Squirt's to be much better. I could also get at all of the Squirt's implements easily which is more than can be said of the Dime despite loosening the pivots, the liberal application of oil and much working of the joints.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 10:29:35 PM
I used to own a Squirt and I can vouch for its greatness. I've heard nothing but bad things about the Dime however.
SAW

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: September 13, 2013, 12:07:12 AM
I've heard nothing but bad things about the Dime however.

Many people have good opinions of it. Even the Berger-hating (or it seems that way) nutnfancy ;)

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: September 13, 2013, 11:06:44 PM
Yeah, Nutnfancy's review title said Gerber gets one right. :tu:
Leatherman

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #17 on: September 14, 2013, 07:36:59 PM
I completely disagree. You can get pics within 5 seconds with zero effort with a simple google search.

I consider 5 seconds of google searching to be real effort.  Its much better to have some poor sucker post pics right in the dang thread so we don't have to waste that 5 seconds google searching.  Come on - put on that thinkin' hat!  If we weren't all lazy, we wouldn't be carrying a SAK or MT in the first place, would we? 

All this typing has worn me out.  I better post a pic so I can go take a nap.

As for Dime vs. PS4 thing, in terms of function they are pretty much the same.  There are little differences, sure, but I don't think the differences are much.  I don't really care for the giant, exposed bottle opener on the Dime, but other folks like it.  The PS4 is a little more refined in its design and construction, so for me its the "better" of the two.  But I like and carry both.

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: September 14, 2013, 08:03:29 PM
I completely disagree. You can get pics within 5 seconds with zero effort with a simple google search.

I consider 5 seconds of google searching to be real effort.  Its much better to have some poor sucker post pics right in the dang thread so we don't have to waste that 5 seconds google searching.  Come on - put on that thinkin' hat!  If we weren't all lazy, we wouldn't be carrying a SAK or MT in the first place, would we? 

All this typing has worn me out.  I better post a pic so I can go take a nap.

As for Dime vs. PS4 thing, in terms of function they are pretty much the same.  There are little differences, sure, but I don't think the differences are much.  I don't really care for the giant, exposed bottle opener on the Dime, but other folks like it.  The PS4 is a little more refined in its design and construction, so for me its the "better" of the two.  But I like and carry both.

:salute:
Leatherman

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: September 15, 2013, 10:40:21 PM
A PS4's scissors will cut a cable tie, the Dime won't.

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: September 16, 2013, 02:37:42 AM
A PS4's scissors will cut a cable tie, the Dime won't.

Yeah, I worked the scissors on my PS4 really hard before.
Leatherman

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: September 21, 2013, 07:16:03 PM
I'm probably getting a Dime today if they have it in stock at TSC.
Leatherman

us Offline Rehclip

Reply #22 on: October 27, 2013, 01:19:18 AM
I actually love my Dime.....

... until it broke.

But I'm using it for off-label purposes.  I took out the scissors and put my car key in its place.  It was great for a while... but the screw that holds that part together couldn't handle to torque.  Half of the screw broke off and now its worthless.

But the bottle opener is great.  Part of the reason I chose it was because of its always exposed bottle opener.  The knife is good, the package opener is great (though don't use it much).

Soon I will see if they will allow me to use my warranty.

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: October 27, 2013, 02:46:00 AM

... until it broke.

But I'm using it for off-label purposes.  I took out the scissors and put my car key in its place.  It was great for a while... but the screw that holds that part together couldn't handle to torque.  Half of the screw broke off and now its worthless.

But the bottle opener is great.  Part of the reason I chose it was because of its always exposed bottle opener.  The knife is good, the package opener is great (though don't use it much).

Did you send it in to Gerber yet? :pok:
Leatherman

us Offline Bensasupertool

• No Life Club
  • Be like The Rifleman
Reply #24 on: October 27, 2013, 06:42:52 AM
Ive played around with the Gerber Dime a while ago at I think Dicks sporting goods. Came close to pulling the trigger on it but left it alone to buy the EAB lite utility knife.I liked the Dime in its looks,size and cool knife pattern. Plus the ability to adjust the piviot screws with a torx if need be. Maybe I'll give it a go sometime to really compare it to my PS4.

The PS4 I have hasent seen alot of carry time as of late. It does find odd jobs in the house. It has done a guitar string change with surprising results. It can happily cut .011 - .049 gauge strings. It is, with the help of the Style PS and a vice, great for the adjusting a PST's knurled screws.

The scissors are pretty close to any Victorinox I own. The PS4's can snip right through the 550 paracord I play around with. Good clean cuts are a plus. The fileing on the PS4's flat driver I think is pretty gritty for a small pocket tool. Good enough to acually deburr something.

So for now I'll say PS4. It's not busted yet or become loose in the plier piviot. Also my wife carried this LM for quite some time. No complaints from her about its usefulness,except for the weight of it on her keys. So a forced trade of the Style happened.
10505788314_dc16ea0f9e_z.jpg
* 10505788314_dc16ea0f9e_z.jpg (Filesize: 200.41 KB)
CHECK YOUR SMOKE DETECTOR BATTERIES!  Everyone Needs a Halligan Tool.

us Offline Rehclip

Reply #25 on: October 27, 2013, 06:57:19 AM

... until it broke.

Did you send it in to Gerber yet? :pok:

No, not yet.  I've been lazy.  I figure they SHOULD honor it still, because they'd have no idea I modified it.  I haven't modified any item in it, I simply replaced an item.

I keep wanting to try something like the Leatherman CS, because scissors would come in handy more than some tiny, weak pliers..... but the Leatherman CS has fewer items to switch out with keys.  If I add a car key and a house key, then theres no tools left!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD
44%