Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Trouble getting Micra back together.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
on: September 16, 2011, 08:40:31 PM
Well I was sitting around and figured while waiting for the donor I would give it a go on putting it back together to see what I was working with. I got the main scissors back on fine as well as both handles. I put all the tools in on the NON TWEEZERS side and everything went in well. I got the pin through and started to insert the screw. About half way through tightening the screw did not want to go in any further and I forced it a bit. (I know I know) I normally don't force things but figured it just needed a little convincing. Well there's no way its going in. I don't know what they are called but I switched around the two rods that ride next to each other in between the tools to give the scissors there opening action. This did not work either as the screw stopped at the same place but that could be because I ruined the threads.  :rant: :rant: :rant: Anyways any help would be appreciated and a detailed look at exactly how every tool goes in would be awesome. Good thing a donor is coming as I will definitely need some parts.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Trouble getting Micra back together.
Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 12:43:00 AM
Check to see that there is nothing in the threads. A lot of times they put lock tite in there to prevent the screws from backing out.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 02:50:28 AM
Check to see that there is nothing in the threads. A lot of times they put lock tite in there to prevent the screws from backing out.

Yea I did that and there is. I cannot get it out for the life of me either. I took the other set and just tried to screw them together gently and it was a no go as well. I took a pick set and dried digging out the thread lock but it didn't work.  >:(
I'm the milk man!

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 02:52:45 AM
Mmmmm should I tell you how to get it out? :think:  Sure I will. Try boiling it for several minutes then while still hot pick it out. 
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 02:55:22 AM
Mmmmm should I tell you how to get it out? :think:  Sure I will. Try boiling it for several minutes then while still hot pick it out.

Will do. I think I ruined the threads but its worth a try anyways.  :D
I'm the milk man!

Offline Cleanser

Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 03:25:08 AM
Those springs are pushing and the tension makes it difficult for the screws to do back in. I had this same problem too... I forget what I did exactly.. but what I did do was try different things to relieve the pressure on the springs so the screws can fit in. I opened the micra and gripped down, I closed the micra, I left it in normal open etc until something made the spring pressure relieved so the screws could fit through the spring.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 03:29:08 AM
Those springs are pushing and the tension makes it difficult for the screws to do back in. I had this same problem too... I forget what I did exactly.. but what I did do was try different things to relieve the pressure on the springs so the screws can fit in. I opened the micra and gripped down, I closed the micra, I left it in normal open etc until something made the spring pressure relieved so the screws could fit through the spring.

Yes that was a problem as well but I used a pair of locking pliers to release the pressure on the pin.

I tried to screw them together while not inserted into the handle of the Micra and it would only go about a quarter to half way through before it locked up so i'm pretty sure the threads are ruined. With that said I tried the other ones that I had not ruined and they did not do much better so the thread lock is almost surely the problem.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 03:30:49 AM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 03:31:01 AM
Try mixing and matching the screws..? Maybe the longer ones on the blade pivot end don't like working with the short ones from the scissor pivot end.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%