Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New to the forum, so Greetings Everyone! I also have an obscure sharpening Q.

Offline WoodButcher

• New User
Hello all, new to the forum but not to the knives! I've managed to collect a can of them over the years but I consider myself more of an "accumulator" than a collector as I've carried and used most of my knives at some point.

Anyway, I recently decided to get a Victorinox "Hunter" model with the small serrated "gutting blade". The knife is an older model from the looks of the handle scales and I need to sharpen that serrated little blade. What I am wondering is if anyone knows what the exact radius is for the serrations? All my rods and slip stones appear to be too large when I size them up under a magnifying glass so haven't removed any metal yet. Anyway, if I could trouble someone who might have some literature that says what radius to use or a link to a Victorinox help line I'd greatly appreciate it!

I don't want to sound too windy for a first post, but in a nutshell I'm trying to get a little more minimalistic here with all the crap I carry when deer hunting and am curious how well this one blade actually works used to use a "wyoming" knife for this cut and now use a havalon with a gut hook blade which works great but the kit is rather bulky). Anyway thanks for letting me on the forum and any assistance helping me find a properly sized sharpener would be greatly appreciated!

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Welcome to  :MTO:

I am sure I do not know the answer you seek, as I have never ever had to sharpen any Victorinox Serrated blade on any knife.

Can you share a picture of the knife and blade in question?   

I try think I have the knife you ask about, with a curve serrated blade called a gut knife on mine and same blade maybe called the seatbelt knife on another tool.

Welcome again!   (If you have not noticed, we like pictures!!!😉
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

de Offline Luke Walker

Welcome WoodButcher!

My tip for sharpening serrations is to mark the edge with a sharpie (or any other permanent marker). Then use a conical sharpening tool and work step by step until you remove the marking you just made. That way you know how far you can go with your conical file.

Basically like that:

Have you checked out Felix Immler's video about sharpening serrated blades? He uses the Victorinox sharpener.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $149.46
PayPal Fees: $8.74
Net Balance: $140.72
Below Goal: $159.28
Site Currency: USD
47%