Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Modded Leatherman put to good use

00 Offline kwakster

• No Life Club
Modded Leatherman put to good use
on: April 02, 2009, 01:30:05 PM
As you all probably know i modded a few Leathermans in my time  :multi:, and one of these, a modified Charge, ended up in the hands of a 22 year corporal on his third tour in Afghanistan.
A few weeks ago he and his buddies were driving around in an armoured car when suddenly a roadside bomb went off next to their vehicle, which was overturned by the explosion.
Everyone was dazed and still strapped by their seatbelts, but the corporal put his Charge to good use and managed to cut all his comrades free with the serrated 154CM blade on his Charge.
Sadly it was too late for one of his buddies, as he did not survive the bomb blast.
The corporal was hurt too, he permanently lost his hearing on the right side, and as a result from this, part of his balance too.

Now the sad thing is that when he returned home, the military police thought it necessary to confiscate his fixed blade, a Gerber LMF, but they did not take his Leatherman.
Can you imagine, a 22 year old veteran with 3 tours of duty under his belt who got wounded in action got relieved of his knife by these smurfs ?
On top of this, it's not even sure he can keep his military job because of his hearing loss, but the jury is still out on that one.

One of these weeks the corporal is coming to visit me to talk about a new fixed blade which he now needs, and he will probably bring a bundle of cash as i have some expensive ones for sale.
What he doesn't know is that i think he already paid heavily for that knife, whatever it will be.

I think i can come up with a free sample from my vast collection, :D

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Modded Leatherman put to good use
Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 01:39:03 PM
Good for you- let me know if there's anything we can do here on the site to help out.

If the hearing loss costs him his job, wouldn't he be entitled to a pension following a medical discharge?  Seems to me that a young man hurt while serving his country should be entitled to something.  Oh, and the right to send the idiot that took his knife out on his next patrol...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 01:41:41 PM
Just :salute: and kudos for you kwakster.

As for that guy: "Don't ask what you can do for your country; ask what your country can do for you"... The answer is almost always disappointing... :(

00 Offline kwakster

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 01:54:20 PM
@ Def; yes, it's true that if he lost his job he would be entitled to some sort of funds, but he doesn't want that.
Just before he went on his third tour he asked his girlfriend to marry him which she accepted, so now he only wants to be a good husband as well as a provider, so who can blame him in his young age ?
I asked him about this and he definately wants to keep his job.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 02:28:22 PM
Why did they take his fixed blade?  ???

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 02:39:47 PM
Don't tell me they can't give this guy a job...what more can they ask of him.  First I would like to thank him for his service, second I would like to thank Kwakster for his generosity.  To all (whatever country you live in)-I had heard someone on the radio suggesting that whenever you see a soldier in uniform you offer to buy them a coffee (or other beverage).  I love that idea, its simple, cheap, and shows that you respect the job that person is doing.  I had my first opportunity last week, they declined but thanked me for the offer.

00 Offline kwakster

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 02:40:48 PM
@jzmtl;

Because they said it was an illegal knife, and there was nothing he could do.
Basically he was at the mercy of a couple of bureaucrats.

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 05:05:25 PM
You mean #(*@&# bureaucrats...  :rant: :viking:

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 06:57:54 PM
Good one you mate :salute:

There's not enough support for the boys and girls in uniform!
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 09:26:40 PM
You are a gentleman :salute:
Prone to daydreaming.

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 02, 2009, 09:44:13 PM
Very cool my hat is off to you. I can't understand that a young man can fight for his country but can't be trusted with a knife? I live on a very limited income but on a few occasions i found myself buying soldiers their drinks and snacks and thinking them for their service while at the quickie mart.
Mike
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: April 02, 2009, 10:26:51 PM
Good show Kwakster :tu:

I hope he gets to keep his job :-[ To sacrifice yourself for your country and then have them do something stupid like that just makes me so mad >:(

My thoughts go out to him :salute:

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 10:43:17 PM
My grandfather was in the army, my dad was in the marines with my uncle, and my father-in-law and all 7 of his brothers are marines who no longer serve.  So, when I see any member of the armed forces I say thank you and if I'm in the airport I offer to buy them a drink of whatever they want.  They usually decline as the USO is in the airport, but I always shake their hand and say thanks.

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #13 on: April 03, 2009, 02:33:31 AM
A soldier fighting for something above themselves no matter from what country is A+ in my book and so are the civilians that supports them  :salute:
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: April 03, 2009, 02:39:05 AM
Good show kwakster, and salutations to all our people in uniform, whoever and wherever they happen to be. :salute:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: April 03, 2009, 06:05:07 AM
I salute you and the corporal,my Dad was a veteran of WWII,my older brother is retired Army,I'm retired USAF,and next brother retired Navy,and all of us Veterans of Foreign Wars,and my nephew just got a Purple Heart last year in Iraq,and ended up 100% disabled. :salute: :salute:

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #16 on: April 06, 2009, 05:27:54 AM
Kwakster you have a good heart. I really hate it when petty bureaucrats prey upon soldiers.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD