Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Any love for the Mini Maglight?

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Any love for the Mini Maglight?
Reply #30 on: April 01, 2009, 07:33:57 PM
I still fancy upgrading one of my Solitaire's, but it probably just isn't worth it :-\
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: April 01, 2009, 07:39:54 PM
I still fancy upgrading one of my Solitaire's, but it probably just isn't worth it :-\

Tektite makes an LED upgrade but with shipping it like 6-7 times the cost of a Solitaire.
(

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #32 on: April 01, 2009, 07:42:15 PM

Tektite makes an LED upgrade but with shipping it like 6-7 times the cost of a Solitaire.
Exactly :-\

Which is a shame really as, as although I love my LD10 and Infinety, the Solitare was such a perfect size :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #33 on: April 01, 2009, 08:06:17 PM
I have one but have never carried it.  Way too many superior options available for decent money IMO.

I have a AA Mini-maglite with a TerraLux upgrade and it's a great bit of kit (140 lumens  :o).  As has been said here I wouldn't bother buying both a mag and then a upgrade, but if you've got the mag to start with the upgrade makes a lot of sense. 

All that said the one I carried for years was the AAA Mini-maglite.  I found it in the back of a drawer not that long ago and can't believe I survived on this thin little torch.  But survive I did, and I remember being impressed with just how bright it was when I first got it.  That's one I'll be keeping just the way it is.

Most of those TerraLux dropins for the 2AA MM are not a good deal for their cost nowdays, except for the Terralux MicroStar TLE-10:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/terralux_tle-10.htm

Fits both the 2AA and 2AAA MM and puts out around 10 lumens for over 10 hours and 5 hours respectively.

Since it comes with replacement reflectors to fit both lights, it does provide better throw than the NiteIze 3LED dropin.

With the included adapter it'll also drop in to 2C and 2D lights that use PR bulbs, and provide very, very long runtime.  Makes a great power outage light.

I've seen the Terralux MicroStar TLE-10 on sale for less than $10 somewhere (that I can't recall just now) whereas it used to be around $20 back when I got mine.

Used it to update an old MM 2AAA and was very happy with the result.  Great little pocket light that was EDCed for about a year until it was stolen.

N

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #34 on: April 01, 2009, 08:14:06 PM
Well it's funny you should say that as this thread prompted me to dig out my AAA.  So what did I find?  The bulb was blown and no spares.  ::)   There seems to be a TLE-20 these days with a better quoted output and equivalent run times, any reason I shouldn't go for that?  Or would you still recommend the TLE-10?  I'm not really into torches so any input greatly received.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #35 on: April 01, 2009, 08:42:32 PM
Well it's funny you should say that as this thread prompted me to dig out my AAA.  So what did I find?  The bulb was blown and no spares.  ::)   There seems to be a TLE-20 these days with a better quoted output and equivalent run times, any reason I shouldn't go for that?  Or would you still recommend the TLE-10?  I'm not really into torches so any input greatly received.

The TLE-10 for $10 or less is good bang for your buck if you want to upgrade a 2AAA MM.  (Also worth its price to upgrade any old PR base 2C or 2D lights as it will provide very long runtime for power outages.)

At $20 the TLE-10 just isn't worth the cost because:

-For $18 the Streamlight Stylus Pro 2AAA will put out 25 lumens for around 10 hours with a much nicer beam than a 2AAA MM with TLE-10.

-For $21 the new MiniMag 2AA RebelLED is a modern mulitlevel design that (running in Low mode) will crush the 2AA MM with TLE-10 in output, throw, and runtime.

I'm not familiar with the TLE-20.  If you point me to it I'll try to give you an opinion.

N

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #36 on: April 01, 2009, 09:27:33 PM
Well here is the info from Terralux themselves:

http://www.terraluxcorp.com/products/TLE-20page.php?PHPSESSID=c27ffe9a14a99bf0bfafbc7eed590997

and a little more from a UK seller:

http://www.thetorchsite.co.uk/TerraLUX_TLE-20.html

Price is about equivalent to $15.

I have to keep in mind that I don't remotely need a 2AAA torch so even spending $15 is a bit much.  This is more an exercise in resurrecting an old friend.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 09:29:35 PM by Gareth UK »

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #37 on: April 01, 2009, 09:43:43 PM
Well here is the info from Terralux themselves:

http://www.terraluxcorp.com/products/TLE-20page.php?PHPSESSID=c27ffe9a14a99bf0bfafbc7eed590997

and a little more from a UK seller:

http://www.thetorchsite.co.uk/TerraLUX_TLE-20.html

Price is about equivalent to $15.

I have to keep in mind that I don't remotely need a 2AAA torch so even spending $15 is a bit much.  This is more an exercise in resurrecting an old friend.

Hmmmm....  Looks to be an upgrade of the TLE-10 probably with a more efficent emitter.  Wasn't aware TerraLux had updated the TLE-10.

I'd say it's worth its price.

If you already have a 2AAA MiniMag just sitting in a drawer, and you are fond of the 2AAA form factor, then why not get some use out of it?

Should make for a nice little pocket light.  Also it'd be usable as a lightweight, rugged, waterproof, dependable, long runtime backup light.  Never hurts to have a spare in the old rucksack.

Let us know what you think of the upgrade.  I might try one of these myself...

N

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #38 on: April 01, 2009, 11:01:18 PM
Well I've ordered one up so I'll let you know what I think. Thanks for the input.  :salute:

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #39 on: April 02, 2009, 12:03:45 AM
I upgraded my 2 AA with a niteize drop in. It was only a few quid and I was probably never gonna use the torch without doing it to be honest. I have owned it for years and I suspect I am sentimental about Maglites... they were the first ones to get it right. Good quality, waterproof torches which last for years - seemed a shame not to use it anymore  :)

Mine's on my bedside with a glowtube attached to it so it's easy to grab in the dark.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: April 02, 2009, 03:06:22 AM
While not a barn burner by any means this is what the Terra-Lux drop in did  to my AA minmag

Incan minimag

Terra-Lux drop in
"

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #41 on: April 02, 2009, 03:13:09 AM
As far as minimag is concerned, I think the only upgrade that's worth the effort is this (that's about 210 lumens).  :D

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: April 02, 2009, 03:15:30 AM
 :pok: Benner already mentioned it.

"I still want to do this http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/auroralite_hotwire.htm
(

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #43 on: April 02, 2009, 03:17:01 AM
Guess I should read better.  :-[

I think the kits are no longer in production thou.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: April 02, 2009, 04:27:30 AM
I have no use whatsoever for Incan Mini Mags , bulb life is atrocious , bulb changes in darkened conditions are problematical . Back in the bad old Mini Mag days I always carried two . Mini Mag LED's are pretty nice , but there are better options out there .

Chris

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD