Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Is the Inova X1 any good?

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Is the Inova X1 any good?
on: April 01, 2009, 07:14:25 PM
I found one for around $10 is that a good price and is the light any good?
(

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Re: Is the Inova X1 any good?
Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 08:20:18 PM
I found one for around $10 is that a good price and is the light any good?

I had one that was kept as a backup light in my walking rucksack for a couple of years.  Eventually I gave it away.

Not a bad light, although there have been some reports of intermittent switch problems and even a few reports of the lens actually falling out of the light!  (Reports over on CPF.)

I'd skip the X1 and get the similar Gerber Infinity Ultra instead.

The 1AA Gerber IU is rock solid reliable and is much better bang for your buck IMHO.

N

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 08:44:07 PM
I used to be very fond of the X1.. But, it's light output sucks, the light would flicker, and the switch wouldn't work for momentary operation.. A much better and smaller light is the Streamlight Microstream!
B

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 08:52:20 PM
I used to be very fond of the X1.. But, it's light output sucks, the light would flicker, and the switch wouldn't work for momentary operation.. A much better and smaller light is the Streamlight Microstream!

I have several MicroStreams.  Love the MicroStream and one is clipped into my shirt pocket every day.

However, MicroStream is nowhere near as tough, nor does it have the long runtime of the Gerber IU.

Gerber IU is a low level, long runtime, tasklight that is great for backup because it can be counted on to always work even in the worst of conditions.

N

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 08:54:44 PM
Is the microstream assembled in the USA?
(

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 09:14:29 PM
Is the microstream assembled in the USA?

Not sure where it's assembled.  Seem to have misplaced the package insert that came with mine.

Uses a LED from SSC which is Korean, although the Koreans import the chip from the US, IIRC.

MicroStream is a wonderful little EDC light.  Superb smooth beam with a suprisingly nice throw.  Great switch with very nice momentary function.  Good pocket clip.

However, MicroStream is not waterproof even for shallow immersion.  Rated only to IPX-4 which is just slightly splashproof.

People have reported water inside the lens of their MicroStreams after taking them inside the shower.

N

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 02:51:19 AM
Ringzero, can you explain the IPX and what it means like i.e IPX-8.. Thanks
B

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 04:00:29 AM

Sorry, but I can't off the top of my head.

I've seen it somewhere and it's probably available on the interwebs if you do a search.

It's a system that classifies products from essentially no ability to resist water penetration, to varying degrees of splash resistance, to brief shallow immersion, to long term shallow immersion, to dive lights rated to various depths.

N

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 04:40:27 PM

IPX0 - Ordinary use; no water resistance tested
IPX1 - Protected against vertically falling water drops
IPX2 - Protected against vertically falling water drops when enclosure tilted up to 15 degrees
IPX3 - Protected against spraying water
IPX4 - Protected against splashing water
IPX5 - Protected against water jets
IPX6 - Protected against powerful water jets
IPX7 - Protected against temporary immersion in water
IPX8 - Suitable for continuous immersion

N

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 05:06:33 PM
I hate the X1.  All of trhe ones I have bought go into a strobe mode because it drains the battery too fast.  I put in a brand new duracell used it for 20 mins then it goes into the low power strobe.  I love the X5.  It has a floody beam and it feels very nice in the hand.

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #10 on: April 02, 2009, 08:15:11 PM
I hate the X1.  All of trhe ones I have bought go into a strobe mode because it drains the battery too fast.  I put in a brand new duracell used it for 20 mins then it goes into the low power strobe.  I love the X5.  It has a floody beam and it feels very nice in the hand.

My X1 worked fine although it wasn't used much.  It rode in a pocket of my rucksack as a backup to my main lights and so it was almost never used.

After reading so many bad reports on the X1 over on CPF, I gave mine away as a gift.

My impression is that when Inova updated the X1 from the original model (which had a reputation for reliability) they began full scale production before working out the bugs.

An occasional flakey switch is forgiveable, and flickering can happen in any brand of LED light.  But producing a model prone to having the lens fall out isn't forgiveable.  There were also reports of X1s failing completely after a 3 foot drop onto a hard surface.

I do agree that the X5 is a fine light with a great reputation for reliability.

N

Offline SoDak

Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 02:57:17 AM
I have a the old X1 with the focussing lens. It was a decent light in its time considering it got decent throw for a weak led. I like mine although when I carried it an used it daily, it would flicker after a while. All you had to do was clean the contacts to get it working again. It's currently my edc but doesn't see as much use since I'm in college now and not on the ranch. I didn't care much for the model that came after it since it had poor throw compared to the old one. I know most folks didn't like the narrow beam of the first model, but for use outdoors I came to appreciate the extra distance the lens gave to the beam over the later model. I haven't looked into flashlights lately, but I'm sure there is something out there that would do a better job in the same size light.

de Offline Energie

Reply #12 on: April 05, 2009, 03:08:03 PM
I have a mod. X1:
Output: 1 cd
Runtime: 15 min with the standard emitter
Beam: all flood

With glow stick, turbo head and red emitter

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #13 on: April 05, 2009, 03:35:30 PM
:D :D :D :D Genius :D :D :rofl:
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%