Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Dog Tricks

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Dog Tricks
on: April 08, 2009, 08:08:50 AM
A friend just got a puppy (Rottweiler/Pit bull mix), and some of the care and training will fall on me as usual. Haven't owned a dog in years and nether has he (not a first dog for ether of us). Wanted to know if some of you dog owner got any tips and tricks to share, anything from general training to more advanced stuff.

We got the little guy to respond to his name, and slowly training him to ask to take him outside if he needs to go.   :cheers:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Dog Tricks
Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 04:57:39 PM
Get yourself a laser pointer- dogs love to chase the spot.  You can use it to train them to go in the direction or to a specific place with it quite easily, plus you can run the heck out of them without getting out of the chair!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 04:59:52 PM
Oh, and as my wife didn't realize when picking out our latest addition, Daisy (rotti/shepherd mix, 11 months old, well over 100 pounds and can put her paws on my shoulders when I'm standing) make sure you establish yourself as the dominant animal when they are small, because it will be very hard in a few months when they become a significant size.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 05:21:49 PM
Oh, and as my wife didn't realize when picking out our latest addition, Daisy (rotti/shepherd mix, 11 months old, well over 100 pounds and can put her paws on my shoulders when I'm standing) make sure you establish yourself as the dominant animal when they are small, because it will be very hard in a few months when they become a significant size.

Def

+1.  When they get big, it's much harder to set dominance.

I'd add,
1.  Have very clear ideas what is good behavior, what is bad behavior and what is marginal behavior ("sometimes" ok behavior, but only if you allow it).  It is tempting to let puppies "get away with it" because it's cute, but really, they're trying to establish what their limits are.  The smarter the breed, the more they will parse out what they can get away with.

2. Get them out first thing in the morning and last thing at night to aid house breaking.  Never punish them for "accidents" unless you catch them in the act.  Even 5 seconds later is too late.  Clean up the mess and get the dog outside to see if they still need to go.  No punishment, no praise for accidents--totally neutral.  Praise them when they potty outside.

3.  Crate train them.  Make it positive, but don't cave in if they start whimpering.  Don't make it a prison.  They should eat there and rest there.  For training purposes, have them in the crate at random times for random periods of time.  Smart dogs will begin resenting their crate if it used only for storage when you leave or at bedtime.  Crates also help in housetraining.   Most dogs won't poop/pee where the sleep/eat if there's any way not to.

4.  Positive re-enforcement for good behaviour works MUCH better than  punishment for bad.  If you can muster it, bad behaviour should be ignored and redirected to good behaviour.  Ex:  If the dog is chewing on your shoe, get an acceptable toy and exchange it for the shoe with positive support for chewing on the toy.  Ignore the shoe. Play with the dog and the toy for a bit.  The dog is much happier chewing on a toy that brings on play.  Try to keep temptation out of their way.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%