Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swisstool Spirit initial impressions

Kurzon · 55 · 10127

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Re: Swisstool Spirit initial impressions
Reply #30 on: March 06, 2007, 05:46:24 AM
I finally took the big plunge.  I ordered a Spirit today.  It will arrive on Wednesday.  I'll be posting what I think as soon as I can open the package and play with it for a few minutes. :) 

Welcome Jaroslav!  You are from Slovakia.  Cool.  My great great grandmother immigrated to this country from Prague sometime around 1900.

sk Offline Jaroslav

Reply #31 on: March 06, 2007, 11:09:19 PM
Jaroslav,

I'm sorry that life is uneasy there.  That's why I asked.  You're a world away from us, & yet you're only a few keystrokes on the keyboard.

We are very fortunate that multitools are readily available for us & are relatively inexpensive to what you pay for them.  My Spirit only cost $31 on sale & came with a free Victorinox Rally knife.  That's not fair, & I know I am spoiled that I can purchase these so easily.  I wish there was a way we could help you with that.

I look forward to getting to know you here on the forum.

Tom

Hello Tom

Things here are not as bad...well prices are so hm..different because we have higher taxes and taxes on taxes ..:((   There is also many positive things, excelent quality beer, word class ice hockey and last but not least really nice girls. :)))

Def thank for suggestion I will try to contact some shops to see if they are able to send stuff abroad. Please recomend some of them. (You may send it on mail).

Now back to track..

I am using my Vic Spirit for minor repartation around house, but from day one my little son started to be very interested with new shiny dad toy and demanded very loudly to touch it (good sign , hopefully will like the same things as dad). I hava also noticed that Vic is very useful for reparation of his toys (tightening loose screws, making holes for new fixation of broken parts, and cutting non reparable parts...:)) Not to speak about family picnics in local recreation area it can cut soft fruits , without squizing juice from them but also is suitable for fun with part of wood (making whistle for little one).

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #32 on: March 06, 2007, 11:17:59 PM
Jaroslav- this site is supported by a couple of dealers who are both great to deal with. 

www.edcdepot.com

www.felinevet.sosakonline.com

And, don't forget, EDCDepot offers Multitool.org members a 5% discount.

Marc will be by shortly with details.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Ging

• Skint Brit!!
Reply #33 on: March 07, 2007, 01:18:49 AM
Hi Jaroslav!!  From a fellow European!! 

I how you feal about not getting all the good deals.  It was cheeper for me to get a Swiss tool from Felinevet that had to be shipped to him from Europe and then back to me here in the UK  :o

I visited Slovakia last summer, I visted Bratislava and stayed around Poprad as well, where are you from?

E

Offline Sharpdogs

Reply #34 on: March 07, 2007, 03:09:56 AM
Jaroslav:

I will be happy to help you out.  All forum members can receive a 5% discount simply by using the coupon code MULTI when placing their order.  We offer a few different options for shipping overseas.  Please email me at marc@edcdepot.com for a shipping quote.  Welcome to forums!
w

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #35 on: March 07, 2007, 09:53:54 PM
Well, I recieved my spirit today just a few minutes ago.  I believe that it is the most fine multitool that I have ever held in my hands.  It is crafted with such precision that I believe that they cannot be produced on this planet.  Aliens must have created this and shipped it here.  It is great and I am very pleased with my tool.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #36 on: March 08, 2007, 03:34:27 AM
.....It is crafted with such precision that I believe that they cannot be produced on this planet........

Yep, that pretty well describes a Spirit alright.......
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #37 on: March 08, 2007, 05:23:27 PM
I cant believe it.  No rattle, and the blades have a distinctive click click almost like a fine SA colt revolver.  This is the greatest multi ever produced.  I have just finalized plans with my contractor.  The shrine for this tool should be completed within the next year.  It has marble tiles and everything. :) (Angelic music playing in the background)

sk Offline Jaroslav

Reply #38 on: March 09, 2007, 12:17:33 AM
Hi Jaroslav!!  From a fellow European!! 

I how you feal about not getting all the good deals.  It was cheeper for me to get a Swiss tool from Felinevet that had to be shipped to him from Europe and then back to me here in the UK  :o

I visited Slovakia last summer, I visted Bratislava and stayed around Poprad as well, where are you from?

I hope you liked Bratislava and High Tatras mountains....I am located in Bratislava

sk Offline Jaroslav

Reply #39 on: March 09, 2007, 12:22:24 AM
Jaroslav- this site is supported by a couple of dealers who are both great to deal with. 

www.edcdepot.com

www.felinevet.sosakonline.com

And, don't forget, EDCDepot offers Multitool.org members a 5% discount.

Marc will be by shortly with details.

Def

Def,

thank you for getting me in contact with Marc. We are negotiating purchase of new multitools, from Leatherman......ops  this will be subject to different forum :)

J.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #40 on: March 09, 2007, 02:10:20 AM
No problem Jaroslav!  That's what Multitool.org is all about- taking your hard earned money! :P

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Zio Arcano

Reply #41 on: April 10, 2007, 05:53:27 PM
I really don't see the need for a point on a multitool blade.  The clip point actually weakens the tip [...] The sheep's foot keeps the blade full sized and strong all the way to the end [...]
Personally I think it's a better feature than a pointed blade, especially on a tool since you really shouldn't be stabbing at much of anything with a tool.  Heck, most folks never stab anyone with a tactical or fighting knife, so why do it with a tool?

I agree.

Hello to the forum, I'm new here.  :)

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #42 on: April 10, 2007, 06:15:27 PM
First off, welcome to the forum Zio Arcano!

I don't necessarily agree about multitool blades.  There are times when I've needed a point to cut things where there isn't a lot of clearance, so I can't saw back and forth to cut it.  I can poke/push cut some things and I find the Spirit blade doesn't work well for that.  It's been suggested to use the awl blade for poke cutting, but the awl isn't near as long at the knife is on the Spirit.  For some of my cutting tasks I've tried using the awl, and it's just awkward for me. 
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #43 on: April 10, 2007, 06:18:32 PM
Welcome Zio Arcano , Do you have any multitools ? Which ones do you like ? Any questions just ask ,were a friendly bunch  :)

Dunc

Offline Zio Arcano

Reply #44 on: April 10, 2007, 08:31:11 PM
First off, welcome to the forum Zio Arcano!

Thanks!

I don't necessarily agree about multitool blades.  There are times when I've needed a point to cut things where there isn't a lot of clearance, so I can't saw back and forth to cut it.  I can poke/push cut some things and I find the Spirit blade doesn't work well for that.  It's been suggested to use the awl blade for poke cutting, but the awl isn't near as long at the knife is on the Spirit.  For some of my cutting tasks I've tried using the awl, and it's just awkward for me. 

The awl is in fact a bit short for some tasks, I agree, but it works fine for me. What made me love the Spirit blade is the fact that I can use it, abuse it and push/pull/saw with it without worrying about stabbing myself (or somebody else) because of lack of caution. It's a big plus, especially for those who keep a Spirit in their car: being able to cut seatbelts, in case of accidents, and not risking to hurt somebody who's already in trouble.

Of course, it's a matter of personal taste.  :)

Welcome Zio Arcano , Do you have any multitools ? Which ones do you like ? Any questions just ask ,were a friendly bunch  :)

Dunc

Hi and thanks! I have some Swiss Army Knives (a Classic, a Tourist, a Climber, a Handyman and a Bundeswehr OHT) and I've been playing with a friend's Spirit for some time, which is what made want to buy one as soon as possible (most likely a Spirit Plus with leather pouch). I can't wait to get it.

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Reply #45 on: April 10, 2007, 08:45:43 PM
 :D Last Thursday I ordered a Spirit with s/h it cost me $47.95 that was the cheapest I found it. 
I keep checking the UPS web site, it's scheluded to be here tomorrow.
I am 43 and I feel like a kid before Christmas. I have been a big Vic fan for 20+ years and I have owned a Swiss Tool for at least 10 (I think that is possible) I have brought home several different multi tools to compare them to the ST but all have failed (even though some did have some great features). I decided that the only way I would ever trade the ST in was for a Spirit. 
 Some 24 hours from now we may know. :grin:

Offline Zio Arcano

Reply #46 on: April 10, 2007, 11:03:17 PM
I am 43 and I feel like a kid before Christmas.

It's called "Victorinox Syndrome" and the most common symptom is an imperative desire to break things to have a good excuse to fix them later with a SAK or a multitool. I suffer from it too and I'm quite sure there's many like us on this forum. Dr. Angus Macgyver studied this disease thoroughly in the mid 80's but got infected too. :grin:

P.S. Of course, I'll post my impressions as soon as I get my Spirit.

Offline Trocergian

Reply #47 on: April 10, 2007, 11:37:13 PM
Let me step up to the podium...

I was never a tool or knife carrying kind of guy. However a few weeks ago I was on holiday and working around the yard and constantly going back and forth to grab some kind of tool to do something. I had this really nasty Brinkman multi-tool in my tool box that I honestly don't even know where it came from, so I grabbed it.

Darn if didn't end up using it throughout the day - even though cursing the way the tools came out in clumps and the pliers wouldn't stay open.  That night I started checking out multi-tool options. I ended up going with the Spirit and haven't regretted it yet. I received it about two weeks ago and I've used it every stinkin' day - and not just on "made up" repairs (I'm sure you know what I'm referring to).

I thought I might go all of yesterday without using it but then after dinner my wife asked if I could go out and move around one of the horse stall partitions to make it larger for one of her mares about to foal - BINGO! the Spirit was front and center in helping me get that chore done.

The only useless part of the tool for me is the case. The tool itself is slim enough that I just carry it in my pocket.

I think I'm in love.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #48 on: April 10, 2007, 11:38:53 PM
Welcome to the forum, and glad to hear the thoughts on the Spirit!

Just out of curiousity, what made you choose the Spirit over any/all others, and what other models were you considering?

Def

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #49 on: April 11, 2007, 08:29:51 AM
I have been a big Vic fan for 20+ years and I have owned a Swiss Tool for at least 10 (I think that is possible)

How is the Swisstool holding up after ten years ? I'm sure alot of members would be interested . Has it had much hard use and any chance of a photo or two of it ? Hope you enjoy the spirit  :)

Dunc

Offline Trocergian

Reply #50 on: April 11, 2007, 03:23:49 PM
Just out of curiousity, what made you choose the Spirit over any/all others, and what other models were you considering?

The first real review I read was on the Spirit. So that became my default to compare other tools to. The more I read the more the Spirit seemed to be the best fit for me. All the stuff I read about it was pretty much positive with the main caveat being the blade style. As I stated, I'm not coming from the position of being a knife carrier so I have no predisposition towards something I'm used to, as such the blade style was a non-issue for me.

The Spirit seemed to have the basic tools I was looking for, slightly smaller than some of the others, and not one bad word about the quality of the unit. The one other "complaint" seemed to be the lack of ability to open the blade one handed. Again, for me a non-issue. So the Spirit seemed like the perfect blend of form and function for me.

So far, I have zero complaints about it and if I had to write to Victorinox to suggest some design change I'd be hard pressed to come up with something at this point. I'm guessing with more time and use I'll have some kind of wish list but so far those that came before me seemed to have done the job.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #51 on: April 11, 2007, 04:50:04 PM
Good to hear it- I can say that you will be hard pressed to find any manufacturer that can beat Victorinox quality as far as manufacture goes, so that's one thing that you won't have to worry about!  If it fails, it certainly isn't the tool's fault!  Of course if it does, send it right back to Victorinox and they'll fix or replace it with no questions asked, even if it's fifty years after you bought it.

They are just that good!  In fact, here's a pic of one of my more prized possessions, a Victorinox Soldier model, the one they actually issue to the troops, and one that has seen over 60 years of use.  This one was made in 1944, and while it may have been better looked after than many, it's still pitted and scratched enough to prove that it's been used.

What more could you want from a tool?

Def
Old Soldier.JPG
* Old Soldier.JPG (Filesize: 41.69 KB)

Offline Garnett

Reply #52 on: April 13, 2007, 06:23:11 PM
As this thread is called "initial impressions" and as I just got one from my girlfriend I thought I should add my opinions...

I suppose my first impression was when my girlfriend called to say a package had arrived and I said to her to open it.

It was the Spirit she bought me for my birthday.

Her initial impression was "It's satisfyingly heavy".

Last summer I lost a Leatherman Charge XTi which I bought mainly because I thought Leathermans were the best, and the Charge looked like the top of the range.

I was anxious asking for the Victorinox Spirit as it's a fair bit cheaper than the price I paid for the Charge. Also I was pretty smitten by its one-handed opening blade. I didn't want to feel like I'd down-graded.

I had really done my research here, and elsewhere on the 'net and the Spirit seemed to get the best reviews. One of the main reasons I was keen to get one was the "stainlessness" of the tool – if I had one major complaint about my Charge it would be its ability to rust – at times disconcertingly so…

Anyway. The Spirit!

My first impression on getting my hands on it was the same as my girlfriend. The Spirit is a very satisfying weight which is belied by the highly polished finish and attention to detail in the build of the thing. The tool looks almost delicate but a few minutes play and it's obvious it's not.

An early contrast then with my long lost Charge was inevitable. The Charge looked like it would weigh more than it did.

I love the range of tools on the Spirit. Each one seems very well considered.

The serrated sheepsfoot blade is a bit of an enigma, but I love it. The precision with which the thing has been made is almost eerie.

The only other thing I would say I miss from the Charge is the titanium handles - not so much because they was titanium, but more because of the finish. The knurling gave a really solid grip whereas the Spirit is a bit slippery.

Which would I rather have? To be honest I think they both do the job, and do it very well.

As a larger comment I guess this is the case with most multitools - apart from a few lemons, the majority will do the jobs you ask.

I think the Leatherman looked more competent with its dull gunmetal finish, so if image is important then you should probably go for that. Otherwise the build quality and simple genius of engineering in the Spirit pips it in my opinion.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #53 on: April 13, 2007, 06:43:06 PM
I agree , I think if you want to look the part and have form over function then the Charge is the way to go . Now I dont want to upset any charge fans and as you know I do like the Charge but which one do you think a Mall Ninja would pick ?

I have to say I wish they would bring back the original Supertool , maybe offer it as a retro classic or something  :)

Dunc

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #54 on: April 13, 2007, 07:18:55 PM
When it comes to tools, function needs to follow form I think.  It's nice to have a good looking tool, but that really should be secondary IMHO.  It's a tool, not a fashion show...

Now, if you can make a good looking tool that works then so much the better, and I think that's where Leatherman is going with it.  An admirable goal I think, and the one handed opening features are great (unless you are a lefty!) but the space taken up by the frame could be better used.  I think if the OH models had all the tools open on the outside similar to the Spirit, you'd probably get at least one more tool on each side, which to me is much more important.

But then those are just my thoughts.  The Charge models have thus far eluded me, so maybe I can't really appreciate them until I have one.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%