Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Atwood Reviews?

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Atwood Reviews?
on: April 14, 2009, 02:19:19 PM
Who here would like to see Atwood reviews on the site? Just trying to see how much of a calling there is for such a thing  ;)

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Re: Atwood Reviews?
Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 02:24:49 PM
I would.   :tu:

I have a couple, so it would be cool to read about some different types.
I'm back!!

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 10:38:03 PM
Me too. Owning one of his tools is on my list of stuff to do before i kick.
:like:    :MTO:

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 11:18:59 PM
I'd like to see some. They are multitools after all, and very popular with the rich ;)

I used to come here a lot.

us Offline Pacu

Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 11:30:58 PM
I'd like to see some. They are multitools after all, and very popular with the rich ;)

and the aspiring rich :D

Offline appletree_man

Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 11:37:12 PM
Can I say bah humbug  :D  I just don't see the appeal of them.
But tools is tools, bring it on.
T

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 12:06:13 AM

I must admit, I wasn't excited by them at first, but my G4 Prybaby is now my most used tool, bar none. I consider it now to be an investment, and if I ever did part with it, I culd at least double my money, so it's a no brainer really.
I used to come here a lot.

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 12:09:02 AM

+1
(

us Offline Pacu

Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 12:11:01 AM
I go on Ebay every now and then to monitor prices on stuff......Atwood is always up there in price...especially the rare pieces.

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 12:24:11 AM
I think it's a great idea. It would be nice to see something said beyond "That is cool" when talking about Atwood tools. I have a SuperBug on the way and I'd be happy to review it.  :tu:
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 12:30:28 AM

They have an amazing amount of function on them and are great for us UK guys as most of them don't have a blade.  They compliment MT's well IMO.
I'm back!!

ca Online Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 01:01:12 AM
Since they are multitools, they should be reviewed here.  Unfortunately I haven't got any, or I would have reviewed them.  Some members who have got them keep promising reviews, but so far nothing has showed up yet!   :pok:

Like them or not, they are multitools and we aren't complete without them.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 01:08:54 AM
Since they are multitools, they should be reviewed here.  Unfortunately I haven't got any, or I would have reviewed them.  Some members who have got them keep promising reviews, but so far nothing has showed up yet!   :pok:

Like them or not, they are multitools and we aren't complete without them.

Def

I never reviewed any because there was a ton of Atwood bashing when I first got here. It seems to have calmed down, so I need to get cracking on some reviews.  :tu:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 01:23:10 AM
I don't think anyone here is really put off by the tools- the big issue I think most of us have is price.  I have tried to get my hands on a few Atwoods over the years, but balked at similar pricing to Charge TTi's, for a tool that's a fraction of the size/usefulness.  For the record, I don't have a TTi either!  :P

With the relatively huge popularity of the Artifact and Shard from Gerber (whether you consider them Atwood knockoffs or not) it's easy to see the appeal of Atwood tools.  I understand that a handcrafted tool also carries a higher price, and I am ok with that, but that's pretty well why all my knife collection has been production models too.  None of this is meant as Atwood bashing, any more than discussing slippery screwdrivers is Vic bashing, rust spots is Leatherman bashing, or plier heads sticking out of the handles is Gerber bashing.  They are simple facts.

If Peter would consider authorizing a company to crank out a production series of the Prybaby, I would have numerous- or at the very least, I'd consider dropping upwards of $50 on one.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: April 16, 2009, 07:54:59 AM
I don't think anyone here is really put off by the tools- the big issue I think most of us have is price.  I have tried to get my hands on a few Atwoods over the years, but balked at similar pricing to Charge TTi's, for a tool that's a fraction of the size/usefulness.  For the record, I don't have a TTi either!  :P

With the relatively huge popularity of the Artifact and Shard from Gerber (whether you consider them Atwood knockoffs or not) it's easy to see the appeal of Atwood tools.  I understand that a handcrafted tool also carries a higher price, and I am ok with that, but that's pretty well why all my knife collection has been production models too.  None of this is meant as Atwood bashing, any more than discussing slippery screwdrivers is Vic bashing, rust spots is Leatherman bashing, or plier heads sticking out of the handles is Gerber bashing.  They are simple facts.

If Peter would consider authorizing a company to crank out a production series of the Prybaby, I would have numerous- or at the very least, I'd consider dropping upwards of $50 on one.

Def

I couldn't agree more.  :tu:  The prices kill me!!  ::)  Here is what I paid only a couple of short years ago for my Atwood tools:

1. Standard Prybaby $35
2. Really nice titanium Prybaby $50-$60
3. Damascus Keyton $85
4. Damasteel Prybaby $125 (it would probably go for $1000 on eBay!)
5. Booger $70
6. Skeeter $80
7. Damascus mini Prybaby $85

Try and find any of the above items for those prices. People are paying insane amounts of money for Atwood tools and I just don't get it. I love them, but I'm not paying 10 times what they're worth to get one. Some of the newer tools are getting better in price. I just bought a SuperBug direct from Peter for $50. I know that $50 is a ton of money for a small keychain tool, but I think sometimes we forget what goes into making a custom tool. The makers time, materials, wear and tear, etc...  When I bought a custom Prybaby for $35 back in the day I thought it was a great deal considering all the work that goes into making one, but to that same Prybaby sell for $100-$200 makes me sick! Peter really has tried to thwart off the eBay scalpers but there is only so much he can do.

I don't think we'll ever see a mass produced Prybaby from Peter, but I think it's a great idea! If he could sell one in the $20 range I think he would make a boat load of cash! It really boils down to what is a good value for you. I get tons of joy out of my Atwood tools and I actually use everything I buy. That's why I've sold off most of my collection. If I don't use it, I sell or trade it. Of course I've given away a few as well.  ;)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: April 17, 2009, 10:07:31 PM
I'd happily have a collection of them at those prices too!

Def

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: April 17, 2009, 10:56:47 PM
I'd happily have a collection of them at those prices too!

Def

Yeah GG those prices are way better than what I have seen :tu: I would have probably picked up a Prybaby by now for $35 for sure :o Can't believe the markup after they leave his hands :ahhh

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: April 17, 2009, 11:11:01 PM
That's why artists are starving, and gallery owners are richer than God...

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%