Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Made in USA flashdrive for $12?

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Made in USA flashdrive for $12?
on: April 18, 2009, 02:09:07 AM
I was in Krogers today so I had a look at the batteries(looking for Ns and AAAAs) and noticed a Duracell flashdrive for $12 and on the back of the package it said made in USA. How is this possible, could it be a typo?
(

Offline rockyman500

Re: Made in USA flashdrive for $12?
Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 02:10:25 AM
I was in Krogers today so I had a look at the batteries(looking for Ns and AAAAs) and noticed a Duracell flashdrive for $12 and on the back of the package it said made in USA. How is this possible, could it be a typo?

it basically means "assembled in the u.s.a."
[

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 02:12:27 AM

it basically means "assembled in the u.s.a."

It listed a California address for where it was manufactured and CA has the strictest rules for "Made in USA".
(

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 02:14:57 AM
Hey ALP, you need to chill out with the "everything that's not made in the USA is inferior" statements.. At the least 90% of your posts have something to do with outsourcing!  :D I get what you mean, but it's not necessary in every thread! You have loads of things in your house that are made in China; look at your computer and even TV components!  :)
B

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 02:16:04 AM
I'm pretty certain it means assembled in the US.  I read somewhere (and I don't know how true it is) that microchips can not be manufactured in the US because the process is environmentally unfriendly.  Even the SwissMemory drives, "made" by SwissBit are Samsung:

I would imagine if you got one of these Duracell ones and opened it up the chips would be marked Korea or China.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 02:19:02 AM
Hey ALP, you need to chill out with the "everything that's not made in the USA is inferior" statements.. At the least 90% of your posts have something to do with outsourcing!  :D I get what you mean, but it's not necessary in every thread! You have loads of things in your house that are made in China; look at your computer and even TV components!  :)

While not every thing in China is bad(Fenix flashlights are very high quality)I don't like chinese stuff because its bad for the US economy. Also I buy stuff thats made in Canada, Mexico, Europe, etc. Also both TVs I own are made in North America(US old black and white and Mexico for my Sony color TV)
(

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 02:25:50 AM
You don't think Mexico's just as bad as China?? By the way, I think most TV components are imported from other countries.. Does Sony sound Mexican to you?  :D :D ;)
B

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 02:29:00 AM
Mexico is good for the US economy- who do you think is doing all the work in the US?  :P

Seriously guys, lets try to keep this civil....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 02:47:20 AM

While not every thing in China is bad(Fenix flashlights are very high quality)I don't like chinese stuff because its bad for the US economy. Also I buy stuff thats made in Canada, Mexico, Europe, etc. Also both TVs I own are made in North America(US old black and white and Mexico for my Sony color TV)

I know I ask you this every time, but until I "get it" I'm going to remain curious.

I completely, 100% understand that you want to support US business and the US economy, but surely the effect on both of those things is the same whether you buy something made in Mexico, Europe or China isn't it?  :think:

I used to come here a lot.

Offline rockyman500

Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 03:23:21 AM
walmart is evil...they drive business away from the U.S.
[

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #10 on: April 18, 2009, 04:24:57 AM
I don't think there is a flash drive that's made in u.s., not when you count the inside.

That's um, pretty random.  :D

Offline rockyman500

Reply #11 on: April 18, 2009, 04:30:02 AM
I don't think there is a flash drive that's made in u.s., not when you count the inside.

That's um, pretty random.  :D

It kinda has to do with the thread...but barely...
[

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #12 on: April 18, 2009, 04:36:36 AM
I take it you saw the movie about Wal-Mart? I believe it's titled Wal-Mart The High Cost of Low Price or something like that!
B

Offline rockyman500

Reply #13 on: April 18, 2009, 04:48:27 AM
I take it you saw the movie about Wal-Mart? I believe it's titled Wal-Mart The High Cost of Low Price or something like that!

I haven't seen it...but maybe I should...you can find all sorts of bad stuff about them
[

us Offline Pacu

Reply #14 on: April 18, 2009, 05:48:50 AM
we will all be chinese in the future

ever see Serenity?
:like:    :MTO:

Offline rockyman500

Reply #15 on: April 18, 2009, 05:58:55 AM

ever see Serenity?

nope...tell us about it...
[

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: April 18, 2009, 06:09:05 AM

ever see Serenity?

Do you mean Chinese as in a citizen of the PRC?
(

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: April 18, 2009, 06:24:20 AM

I know I ask you this every time, but until I "get it" I'm going to remain curious.

I completely, 100% understand that you want to support US business and the US economy, but surely the effect on both of those things is the same whether you buy something made in Mexico, Europe or China isn't it?  :think:

I could care less about US businesses I want to support US workers. Also if it makes anyone feel better I would buy stuff from China if they weren't so capitalistic.
(

Offline rockyman500

Reply #18 on: April 18, 2009, 06:35:34 AM
Hey ALP, you need to chill out with the "everything that's not made in the USA is inferior" statements.. At the least 90% of your posts have something to do with outsourcing!  :D I get what you mean, but it's not necessary in every thread! You have loads of things in your house that are made in China; look at your computer and even TV components!  :)

I understand what you're saying, but he didn't bash china in that one...
[

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #19 on: April 18, 2009, 07:08:14 AM

I could care less about US businesses I want to support US workers. Also if it makes anyone feel better I would buy stuff from China if they weren't so capitalistic.

ALP I swear you are the first person I've ever know who dislike China for being capitalistic, everyone else on the internet is commie this commie that.  :D

Offline rockyman500

Reply #20 on: April 18, 2009, 07:28:49 AM

ALP I swear you are the first person I've ever know who dislike China for being capitalistic, everyone else on the internet is commie this commie that.  :D

capitalist china?  :think:
[

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: April 18, 2009, 07:36:48 AM
Hey ALP does the flashdrive look like the one here between the Wave and SF Pen? I got it on clearance at KERR drug for a good price. I didn't look of the package to see where it was made.
"

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #22 on: April 18, 2009, 07:45:25 AM
That look exactly the same as my dane elec brand usb drive, don't remember where it's made thou.

http://www.dane-elec.com/
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 07:49:33 AM by jzmtl »

Offline silentio

Reply #23 on: April 18, 2009, 11:43:34 AM
Oh wow, I have the flash drive from a few years back. It was a door gift at an event I went to. It's definitely made in China, at least the one I have is.

ever see Serenity?

About this part, I have a headstart on you guys :D

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
Reply #24 on: April 18, 2009, 11:58:20 AM
I too like to buy USA goods when ever I can, I ALWAYS buy AND eat my Chinese and Mexican food in the US of A !!
Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #25 on: April 18, 2009, 12:31:50 PM
Anyone taking bets on the fact that the plastic enclosure is made in china (since it's obviously generic...) and is dirt cheap because they make batches of millions...

When I worked as an electronics purchaser we used to have small batches of our circuitboards made locally (well the same province in Canada...) and we got a new source in china that would make better quality versions for less money... provided that we ordered much larger batches... so, we used the local place for small run stuff, and the chinese for the mass production stuff... which at the time meant we were ordering about 12 months supply of boards! Definitely an investment, but saved us piles of money in the end.

I'm sure as mentioned a lot of stuff is assembled in the USA rather than actually 100% fabricated there. It's just not practical.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: April 18, 2009, 03:20:17 PM
Hey ALP does the flashdrive look like the one here between the Wave and SF Pen? I got it on clearance at KERR drug for a good price. I didn't look of the package to see where it was made.
(Image removed from quote.)

Yes thats it.
(

Offline thebigmike

• New User
Reply #27 on: June 04, 2009, 08:24:32 PM
I personally spoke to "Jeff" at Super Talent a few minutes ago, and he assured me that everything from the internal chip to the case on Super Talent's Pico line (http://www.supertalent.com/products/stt_usb_detail.php?type=Pico) was designed and manufactured in the USA. The Pico's have great reviews on newegg, and the other tech blogs I checked.

I contacted half a dozen other companies who advertised their flash drives as "Made in USA" and they all admitted that theirs were assembled here, but the internal chips were manufactured overseas.

I'll be going with a Pico in the next few days, and ordering directly from the company by phone so I can tell them exactly why I am buying from them.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: June 05, 2009, 11:29:15 PM
I have a Pico C and I like it- nice little drive.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%