Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Do you buy knock-offs?

us Offline turbov21

Do you buy knock-offs?
on: April 21, 2009, 02:49:06 AM
At my local Wal-Mart...someday, I need to go somewhere besides there...there are a couple of off-brand/knock-off MT's.  One's a Stanely that comes with an box cutter.  The other is a way off-brand multitool that's in the camping section, next to the lanterns and messkits.  Are these worth getting for any reason, other than the novelty?  Is the novelty worth it to some?

I've been inclined to leave them and save my pennies for a real multitool, but I wasn't sure if there was some reason to pick them up.

Offline rockyman500

Re: Do you buy knock-offs?
Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 02:52:23 AM
At my local Wal-Mart...someday, I need to go somewhere besides there...there are a couple of off-brand/knock-off MT's.  One's a Stanely that comes with an box cutter.  The other is a way off-brand multitool that's in the camping section, next to the lanterns and messkits.  Are these worth getting for any reason, other than the novelty?  Is the novelty worth it to some?

I've been inclined to leave them and save my pennies for a real multitool, but I wasn't sure if there was some reason to pick them up.

just keep saving and don't lose faith in MTs for cheap "$10 special" chinese junk
[

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 02:53:06 AM
i found them funny and only go to check them to see what new real MT had they copy now :D
A

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 03:00:27 AM
I don't buy knock off's.
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 03:01:54 AM
I no longer buy knockoffs.
(

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 03:32:28 AM
No knock-offs for me either  :cheers:

us Offline turbov21

Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 03:40:26 AM
Thanks, all!  If there's no good reason, then I'm going to pass them by.  I appreciate it!  :tu:

Offline rockyman500

Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 03:46:36 AM
[

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 03:47:14 AM
I did a quick eBay search and found a lot of Toolzall and even more Craftsman re branded Bear tools in the 30 dollar range (new) worth picking up over a knock off.  :tu: :cheers:

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 03:55:29 AM
Wal-Mart huh?  Instead of a knockoff MT...check out the flashlight section and grab something "cheap" there.  They might not be Surefires, but from what I've heard, some of those cheap LED lights are pretty good.

Or head over to the tool section and pick up a ratcheting screwdriver...those always come in handy.  Or a can of Fix-A-Flat in the auto section...THAT is something you'll smack yourself for not having one day...
[

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 03:59:12 AM
None here , not worth it in any way shape or form !

Come to think of it I avoid wally world as much as poss !

Chris

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 04:01:15 AM
Like them or hate them, knock offs and cheapos are a part of the world of multitools.  I have reviewed several such discount brands, and while some of them are utter poo, others have features that I would really like to see on well made tools.  For example, this Sheffield tool:

This tool has a great folding carabiner, and is a full sized tool, something that no other manufacturers have really looked into, and have only recently become available on minimalist tools lately.

The Lowes Kobalt tool comes highly recommended by Hawkchucker, and after seeing it last September, I have to agree that it is a pretty nice  tool, and well worth the $10 or $15 it goes for.

Coast also makes a number of tools that are cheaper than dirt, but are decent enough- the Fishing Buddy for example cost me more in shipping from the member who bought it, than the actual tool cost!

It's actually a pretty neat little tool- maybe it's fit and finish isn't on par with Victorinox or Leatherman, but for an occasional use, keep in the tackle box or glove compartment tool it's pretty nice.  And, if it falls overboard when you are wrasslin' the big one so it won't be the one that got away, it's no big deal as it's all of $5.

I also have another cheapie that I haven't talked about in some time- it's called Mountain Gear or some such nonsense- it's a cheap Chinese tool and would be easy to write off as it's not that great, but it does have some interesting features that are similar to the top shelf tools we are used to, and others that are better than some of the top shelf tools.  It has one implement that looks like an un-textured saw, but it actually a wrench and has several different sized hexagonal cutouts in it, which I think is genius and I have used it for tough computer case screws and disassembling SOG tools.  Speaking of SOG, it is bolted together similar to the SOG models, except that they used recessed phillips head screws, so it's harder for them to come loose, as they don't catch on things.  And, it has outside opening implements like the SwissTool, and is non-locking for the UK folk... and as if that wasn't enough, the handles have a rubber cover that makes it very comfortable to hold and use.  

I'll try to find it and snap some pics of it- it's a cheap piece of junk overall, but it has some really good ideas I'd like to see some quality manufacturers knock off!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 04:03:57 AM
Isn't the Mountain Gear a knock-off of the Utica Multimaster? If that's the one I'm thinking of,it's not too bad everything considered.
I

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 04:10:23 AM
The real MT manufacturers are scared knocking off knock offs  :ahhh :P :cheers:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009, 04:11:53 AM
Nope, it's a butterfly opening tool.  I just found an old thread with it and apparently it's the Master Grip, not the Mountain Gear.  Shows how much I pay attention to it!  Here's some pics from that old thread:

You can see the wrench bit in this pic:

And, for a Chinese import discount tool, the phillips isn't bad either!

I'll try to get some better pics when/if I find it and/or remember!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: April 21, 2009, 04:12:37 AM

I think Gerber gets its inspiration from knockoffs(If we made crappier tools more people would buy them...)  :ahhh
(

Offline rockyman500

Reply #16 on: April 21, 2009, 04:39:04 AM

I think Gerber gets its inspiration from knockoffs(If we made crappier tools more people would buy them...)  :ahhh

I can attest to that  :D
[

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #17 on: April 21, 2009, 04:50:14 AM

I think Gerber gets its inspiration from knockoffs(If we made crappier tools more people would buy them...)  :ahhh

I think your dead wrong with that one.. The Chinese made Gerber's for the most part are of low quality but their designs are nothing like knockoffs. They have retractable pliers and such which are proprietary to Gerber!  :)
B

Offline rockyman500

Reply #18 on: April 21, 2009, 04:52:04 AM

I think Gerber gets its inspiration from knockoffs(If we made crappier tools more people would buy them...)  :ahhh

I think your dead wrong with that one.. The Chinese made Gerber's for the most part are of low quality but their designs are nothing like knockoffs. They have retractable pliers and such which are proprietary to Gerber!  :)

well, most knock-offs don't have a bad design...its just the fit/finish and strength of knockoffs just don't last
[

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: April 21, 2009, 04:52:11 AM

I was thinking suspension...
(

Offline rockyman500

Reply #20 on: April 21, 2009, 04:52:47 AM

I was thinking suspension...

and the series of it and radius
[

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #21 on: April 21, 2009, 04:53:48 AM
I don't think I've ever seen the suspension bridge type handles on any knockoffs before!  :D

B

Offline rockyman500

Reply #22 on: April 21, 2009, 04:54:30 AM
I don't think I've ever seen the suspension bridge type handles on any knockoffs before!  :D

I have seen wholes in handles before if that counts...
[

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: April 21, 2009, 04:56:10 AM
I don't think I've ever seen the suspension bridge type handles on any knockoffs before!  :D

Its the same as in the pliers fold into the handles.
(

us Offline turbov21

Reply #24 on: April 21, 2009, 06:49:58 AM
Nope, it's a butterfly opening tool.  I just found an old thread with it and apparently it's the Master Grip, not the Mountain Gear.  Shows how much I pay attention to it!

Nice looking tool there.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #25 on: April 21, 2009, 10:59:22 PM
...there are a couple of off-brand/knock-off MT's.  One's a Stanely that comes with an box cutter. 

Do you mean Stanely, or Stanley?
I used to come here a lot.

us Offline turbov21

Reply #26 on: April 21, 2009, 11:21:42 PM
Do you mean Stanely, or Stanley?

You know, I'm not sure. :think: It was in the tool section.  I remember thinking, "Well, at least the name is familiar," and I recall black-and-yellow coloring.  However, I'm not sure of the actual spelling.  I'll check next time I see it.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #27 on: April 21, 2009, 11:26:13 PM
My thinking was that if it was a Stanley - then it's not what I would call a knock off. Stanley have been making tools, for much longer than johnny-come-latelys like Leatherman!

I consider "knock-off" to mean an illegal copy of someone else's design, rather than just a cheaper alternative.
I used to come here a lot.

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: April 22, 2009, 12:00:21 AM
I consider "knock-off" to mean an illegal copy of someone else's design, rather than just a cheaper alternative.

I agree. A cheap wal-mart or dollarstore multi-tool isn't a knock-off unless it's blatantly ripping off the design or name of another tool/brand.  Sure, they're poorer in quality but they're not really knocking off another company's name or design... unless it's something like "Leathermen", "SOGG Powerstock" or something silly like that.
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

us Offline turbov21

Reply #29 on: April 22, 2009, 12:10:03 AM

Good point.  "Knock-off" was the best word I could think of, but I agree with you, specifically because even as a tool neophyte I recognized the Stanley brand.  Is there a better word that means "Not Leatherman, VIC, SOG, Gerber, or Bear?"

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%