Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The LM Charge TTi; quite possibly the "best" tool ever!

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Hey guys, I have been carrying a TTi while not at work for quite some time now! I have come to the conclusion that it is quite possibly the "best" tool ever produced, IMO. It has a lot to offer and 8.2 ounces is a reasonable carry weight for what you get. The biggest advantages for me are the S30V PE blade, serrated blade with cutting hook, scissors, diamond file, scissors, and the bit drivers. . First of all, I like the premium blade steel because of it's edge holding capabilities. LM's 420HC steel is adequate but the S30V takes it to another level! Next, the cutting hook- this is quite possibly the coolest part about the Charge (TTi, XTi, ALX) serrated blade. I use the cutting hook daily for opening mail, bubble mailers, boxes, twine, paracord, and a plethora of other things. I usually just barely open the serrated blade to expose the cutting hook and use it that way. It's the best thing to do around non knife people.. The new style LM scissors are a huge improvement over the original PST II/Classic Wave scissors. According to Doug Ritter, LM says the new design stays sharper longer. I can't confirm that, but the scissors cut paracord and other fibrous material cleanly; whereas the PST II/Classic Wave scissors had difficulty. The LM diamond file is quite possibly the best filing surface on any MT. I use it for filing down fingernails, honing work (on knives, axes, and other cutting implements), sharp metal things (so to speak) sticking out (i.e a screw or nail), and even hook sharpening. I wish the file had the "groove" like the PST II does. It makes sharpening hooks, darts, blowgun darts, and other pointy things easier. I really don't understand why LM doesn't have diamond files on all their tools.  ??? Lastly, the LM bit drivers; I LOVE the versatility! Sure, you don't get the best reach- but one could buy a LM bit extender and use extra long hex bits (which could fit in the excellent sheath). LM's proprietary bits are heat treated to a certain Rockwell hardness (I can't remember right now, it may be 58 but I can't be sure). As a matter of fact, I used a 4mm hex to put together a lawn furniture set at a relatives house yesterday! I carry one customized bit card in the back of the LM sheath (among bits, it has a modded awl and chisel). So yeah, the LM bit driver offers unsurpassed versatility. Oh, and another advantage is that if one were to strip the screwdriver or something it can be replaced. Unlike a SwisssTool whereas the tool would have to be sent for warranty. Well, that's it- rant over. I really enjoyed writing this- and I am going to write up some reviews once I have enough time ( no pics though  :( ).. Please, tell me what you think; and feel free to disagree with my points I'd love to have a nice discussion!  :)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 04:24:40 AM by Leatherman123 »
B

Offline rockyman500

Re: The LM Charge TTi; quite possibly the "best" tool ever!
Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 04:41:53 AM
I really think you're giving up on your SURGE  :twak:
[

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 04:45:10 AM
Nope, the SURGE is a better duty belt tool.. The Charge TTi is a "better" tool all around but the SURGE suits my needs better while working.
B

Offline Tinnie

• No Life Club
  • I hate Velcro!
Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 09:07:23 AM
Nope, the SURGE is a better duty belt tool.. The Charge TTi is a "better" tool all around but the SURGE suits my needs better while working.

Might as well add The SURGE! & Charge King in your sig line since you own a million Charge :P

Good overview of why you like the Charge TTi! +1 on the versatility of the bits :D
[

Offline ratslash7

Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 07:01:15 PM
.. The new style LM scissors are a huge improvement over the original PST II/Classic Wave scissors. According to Doug Ritter, LM says the new design stays sharper longer. I can't confirm that, but the scissors cut paracord and other fibrous material cleanly; whereas the PST II/Classic Wave scissors had difficulty.

I don't have a TTI but I'm pretty sure I want one. Others on this forum have said that the Original Wave scissors are better than the ones on the TTI. I suppose we have to define "better".

I'd like to see a head-to-head contest between the two from someone who has both.

Dave
A

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 07:26:22 PM
I absolutely love the look of the tti and almost bought one but unfortunately up here they really raised the price this last shipment so had to settle for the alx.  Maybe one of these days I will see one for a descent price.  Beauty is subjective and in the eyes of the beholder but I feel the Skeletool CX and the TTi are to me the best looking multi's on the face of the earth.

Offline ratslash7

Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 04:25:06 PM
Well, I just found out that my wife who is possibly the greatest human ever, bought me a TTI for my birthday. Not just a TTI, but a set with bit-kit, bit extender, diamond sharpener, pocket clip and lanyard ring. It will arrive early next week. I'm thoroughly jazzed.

I expect it to become the "best multi-tool ever" in my eyes and I believe I'll never carry anything else and so I'll have to sell off all my other multis which will just be collecting dust....

Except for the Crunch cuz sometimes it's the only thing that'll work...

And the Surge for larger jobs...

And the original Wave which will become collectible...

My Original Supertool  for the same reason...

And the Skeletool for when I'm going minimal...

And...Ah, screw it I'm keeping 'em all.

Thanks LM123 for the review which got me thinking and then talking to the wife. God I love her.

Dave
A

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 02:07:05 AM
Its a possibility  :tu:
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

Offline toolpig

Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 04:13:35 AM
The charge TTI cost me a TON of money! Because i liked it so much I started buying every LM tool I could get my hands on. I even bought another one to keep in the drawer just to look at and open up in its perfect state!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 02:46:32 AM
The charge TTI cost me a TON of money! Because i liked it so much I started buying every LM tool I could get my hands on. I even bought another one to keep in the drawer just to look at and open up in its perfect state!

Sense  :multi:

It's all the others that are mad Toolpig, we know what's up ;)
I used to come here a lot.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 01:21:30 PM
I did have a Charge once , well I had three because I had to send two back because of faults ( one had huge amounts of play in the pliers and the other had something wrong with the two little springs in the handle and it just flopped about ) . I found it a very comfortable tool when using the pliers and I liked the one hand opening on the blades but you really got to know what your doing to sharpen 154cm or S30v and the angle on the Serrated blade was way off anything the Sharpmaker could do . I used the tiny little driver once to tighten up the screw on my glasses but found it a little too small .
   I didn't like the way the Ti scales moved about when you pushed them from side to side  and also I bent the little metal post inside the handle when closing the pliers one day   :(
     It does look the part though  :multi: but that doesn't count for much .I much prefer the Supertool ( or 200 ) . I've never owned a new style Wave but I would be very interest in trying one .
    At the time I payed £114  :o for my Charge  and what really annoyed me is that I had to go through 3 to get one that was OK  >:(
  For me I think they are over rated . I'm hopping the Wave is a more sensible option . I really want to try one .

Nikko how do you get on sharpening the gut hook ? or don't you need too .

Dunc
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 01:23:08 PM by dunc5 »

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 10:41:40 PM
I haven't needed to sharpen the gut hook on my EDC TTi, yet. When I do, I planned on PM'ing Bob because he said it was quite easy. It's a shame that all Charge's you got all had faults. You know, I really wouldn't call the Charge series over rated. They are excellent tools with great ergonomics, premium PE blade steel, and a ton of other extras.  LM and Vic both have the occasional QC error, but all my Charge's are good and it's over 20 ATM! Hell, I got 8 on this forum!  :D :D BTW, the New Wave is an excellent MT, the Charge Ti/AL IMO is a lot better of an option, though.  :)

Oh, as a matter of fact, I just got another ST200 in the mail today and it's going to be a user!  :)
B

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 09:48:37 PM
One other thing is the one handed blade opening , kind of doesn't work so well when your left handed  :(

Dunc

Offline DannyZRC

Reply #13 on: May 01, 2009, 11:11:22 PM
I'm left handed, and I can open the blades one handed just fine on my brother's new wave...

with my right hand  ::)

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: May 02, 2009, 12:38:36 AM
One other thing is the one handed blade opening , kind of doesn't work so well when your left handed  :(

Dunc

Use your right hand then ya divvy.

My violin teacher used to whack the lefties with a bow and remind them that you need both hands to play a violin. He'd probably be locked up these days for child abuse  :-\

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #15 on: May 02, 2009, 02:07:26 PM

Dunc

Use your right hand then ya divvy.

My violin teacher used to whack the lefties with a bow and remind them that you need both hands to play a violin. He'd probably be locked up these days for child abuse  :-\

So Dave got any spare Waves I could trade ?  ;)

Dunc

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: May 02, 2009, 09:12:29 PM
Sadly, no Dunc. I have no spare LM tools to trade at all at the moment.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #17 on: May 02, 2009, 10:09:17 PM
Sadly, no Dunc. I have no spare LM tools to trade at all at the moment.

No worries mate . I think I will try and get hold of one during the year but no hurry .

Dunc

Offline cyberkid

Reply #18 on: May 07, 2009, 07:57:12 PM
Hey guys, I have been carrying a TTi while not at work for quite some time now! I have come to the conclusion that it is quite possibly the "best" tool ever produced, IMO.....
+1
The TTi, my first non-knockoff multi...
Abslutely love it... for mostly the same reasons LM123 stated.
The only thing I don't like is the eyeglass mini screwdriver... too short a tip to fit all eye wear screw sizes.
TTi + Crunch + e4 + the LM bit extender + bit kit = my normal EDC (a tad too much?)

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #19 on: May 07, 2009, 08:00:22 PM
Hey guys, I have been carrying a TTi while not at work for quite some time now! I have come to the conclusion that it is quite possibly the "best" tool ever produced, IMO.....
+1
The only thing I don't like is the eyeglass mini screwdriver... too short a tip to fit all eye wear screw sizes.
TTi + Crunch + e4 + the LM bit extender + bit kit = my normal EDC (a tad too much?)

not when you see what i edc at work: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,10834.msg202299.html#msg202299  :D
A

Offline cyberkid

Reply #20 on: May 07, 2009, 08:01:52 PM
+1

not when you see what i edc at work: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,10834.msg202299.html#msg202299  :D
Lol... gotta show this to the wife... she think's I'm overdoing it

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: May 07, 2009, 08:02:43 PM
happy to help :salute: :D
A

Offline lee

Reply #22 on: May 18, 2009, 10:23:30 PM
Yeppe, I have also a Charge TTi,a new, and i find it the best multi-tool i have ever.
I have also the LM wave, limited edition 25 years. Very nice for look the tool.... With the name ingraved : leatherman Tim, 25 years established 1983. It is fine polished...waaw.

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: May 18, 2009, 10:28:32 PM
hi lee, welcome to the forum, i gotta get me a ti one of these days :(
A

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: May 18, 2009, 10:38:26 PM
Welcome Lee - I can see you are a man of taste ;)

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #25 on: May 18, 2009, 10:43:03 PM
Indeed he is!  :tu: He knows what a quality tool is!  :D :D :D
B

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #26 on: May 19, 2009, 12:36:21 AM
+1
I agree with you with the eyeglasses mini screwdriver, it won't properly fit the screw on my eyeglasses it can turn it but it couldn't tighten it properly. Wish they would copy the size of the mini screw of the Victorinox mini screw you put on the corkscrew.
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #27 on: May 19, 2009, 04:43:41 AM
I have a Ti, so no guthook sadly, but otherwise it is definitely the best made tool I own. It's the one I keep handy on the living room table as I know it can probably deal with most stuff that comes up round here.

They are a tad big for my girl hands and also a pain being yet another lefty in a rightist world, but they are very bloody good indeed  :tu:
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

Offline lee

Reply #28 on: May 19, 2009, 05:18:23 PM
So yes, I have a lot of multi-tools.
A very good tool is also KERSHAW,from USA.
I think I must take photo's from all my tools and put them all on this forum..
I will see when I can make that...so ...be than

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: May 19, 2009, 09:36:45 PM
So yes, I have a lot of multi-tools.
A very good tool is also KERSHAW,from USA.
I think I must take photo's from all my tools and put them all on this forum..
I will see when I can make that...so ...be than

Looking forward to that. Welcome to the forum :)
Prone to daydreaming.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD