Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Need a Hobby...

Offline Thargor

Need a Hobby...
on: April 01, 2007, 09:39:57 PM
I finished my degree exams a couple of months ahead of all my friends the other day and I have a long Summer of boring underpaid work experience in a hospital laboratory ahead of me so Im just wondering what all of you tool-nuts do in your spare time, obviously Im asking on this forum because I want it to be DIY/building things related, Im the kind of guy who buys tools because I love them but then leaves them sitting there for want of something to do outside of fixing my flatmates doors or putting up shelves for my mother. Im thinking about furniture making, that kind of thing, any suggestions for a totally inexperienced novice? Books, websites, other forums etc? Or just post your hobbies so I get some ideas.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 09:42:52 PM by Thargor »

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Re: Need a Hobby...
Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 10:00:46 PM
I prefer hunting terrorists in my spare time... squirrels, rabbits, turkey, deer, elk, bear... they're all terrorists in my book!  If I can't go hunting, I like to target shoot with my bow in the backyard, or take some guns down to the gun range and blast off a few rounds.

I also like camping/backpacking/hiking.  There are trails pretty much everywhere and it's nice to just get out in the woods alone sometimes. 
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 10:01:26 PM
Ever thought about learning first aid ? not actually tool related but they can be used in first aid ( scissors for cutting bandages etc. , knife blade for cutting clothing seat belts harnesses ect .) Plus its a worthwhile thing to do and you could end up saving a life .St. Johns sells the Swisstool in its catalogue .

Dunc

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 10:02:34 PM
Of course I forgot the obvious , become a Pirate  ;)

Dunc

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 10:11:40 PM
There are some great threads about whittling and carving in SOSAK right now.  These guys have alot more skill than I do, but I'm betting I have alot more fingers than they do! :P

I like camping, canoeing, hiking (when I can) but most of those I really only like to do in the summer cause I hate the snow!  I also like to tinker with old cars, even though I don't have one at the moment.  I am "between Jeeps" as they say.

Esteban is a big climbing enthusiast and I am certain he'll suggest doing that tomorrow when he gets in.

Where do you live?  Are you in town, near the woods, on the coast?  I imagine things like boating (or piracy!) would be difficult suggestions if you live in an inland city with no means of transportation...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Thargor

Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 11:16:54 PM
Im in College in Galway city on the west coast of Ireland but Ill be out in a totally rural area for the next 6 months, actually archery is a pretty good idea, Ive always thought about it and there was a great episode of Ray Mears Bushcraft I downloaded a while ago about making bows, might look into that again actually even though the weapons laws in Ireland are ridicoulous (no crossbows, no BBs, no air rifles). I suppose its just a case of settling down into a career and the one location before you can get into these things fully :-[

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 11:19:06 PM
That's a cool idea about making bows.  I keep wanting to do that, but I'm afraid that the first time I pull the string back it'll snap and impale me.  That'd be a crappy way to die...

You'll have to let us know if you take it up.  Hopefully you don't kill yourself. :P
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Offline Thargor

Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 11:31:55 PM
I think Ill probably buy a decent bow first and see how I like it first before I attempt building one but Im definitely going to to try it out, its the sort of thing Ive thought of doing every now and then for years but then forgotten about, thanks for the suggestion 665ae...

Offline Thargor

Reply #8 on: April 01, 2007, 11:36:40 PM
Ever thought about learning first aid ? not actually tool related but they can be used in first aid ( scissors for cutting bandages etc. , knife blade for cutting clothing seat belts harnesses ect .) Plus its a worthwhile thing to do and you could end up saving a life .St. Johns sells the Swisstool in its catalogue .

Dunc
Ive completed a full first aid course with the FCA which is the Irish Army Reserve and I did like it a lot, I still do it some weekends every 2 or 3 months or so if they're looking for someone to bring a medkit out to the ranges for them, its a way more relaxed membership over here than the National Guard in the US or the TA in England obviously.

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #9 on: April 01, 2007, 11:38:23 PM
You're welcome :)

I don't know if these guys do international shipping, but this was one of the ones I was looking at.  I thought it'd be really good as a starter "homemade" bow.  http://www.bowstick.com/storefront/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_35&products_id=566

Offline Thargor

Reply #10 on: April 01, 2007, 11:41:39 PM
No way dude, im a gadget freak, I want one of the ones with all the adjustable bits and those pulley wheels (what do those do anyway? Boost the power I assume?). Is there a name for that kind by the way? I need to do some research.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 11:43:30 PM by Thargor »

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #11 on: April 01, 2007, 11:55:05 PM
They're called compound bows... I think.  I don't know much about them, since I just got started with one myself.  Here's a pic of mine.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #12 on: April 02, 2007, 01:24:35 AM
Compound bows are technological advancements using pulley systems and high tech materials that make shooting easier to master, allow you to shoot farther, and with better accuracy.  The pulleys allow for a higher draw weight with less pressure on your fingers, and they allow a "letoff" where the pressure of the bow drops to only a couple pounds to allow you to aim more comfortably.

They are fantastic gadgets and the add on factor means you will keep spending money on it for years to come.

Real men shoot recurve!

:P

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #13 on: April 02, 2007, 01:41:49 AM
Real men shoot recurve!

They probably do... but I can't get the vision of the bow breaking and half the stave embedding itself in my chest.  Or worse yet, smaking my head and knocking me cold.  Although, it wouldn't be the first time I woke up in the backyard with no idea how I got there  ;)

Offline Thargor

Reply #14 on: April 02, 2007, 02:56:42 AM
Holy s**t thats a nice bit of gear you've got there, that bow is wicked looking and the case is perfect, how much did all that cost you?

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #15 on: April 02, 2007, 03:42:39 AM
Around $400 total for everything. 

Offline Peter Lezard

• Hobbit archer
Reply #16 on: April 02, 2007, 04:11:10 AM
No!!!!!!!!!! Get a real bow and get a longbow or a recurve. There are many, many more things to go wrong with a wheels bow. I've thought about making my own bow, but as of yet only some arrows... :) Here is my bow, a Matin Savanna, along with my sword.....You never know when the orcs may be afoot... :P
sosakk.JPG
* sosakk.JPG (Filesize: 52.94 KB)
F

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: April 02, 2007, 12:04:36 PM
learnt archery when I was in secondary school, had a history teacher there who hated those new types of bows, he liked his medieval stuff, so we leartn how to shoot old long bows. So much fun, and good exercise for your arms too, especially with some of the stronger ones.

These news ones arent real bows  :P when a proper long bow you can easily sling it on your back and be on your way, what are you going to do with one of these new ones? And what if it breaks or something goes wrong  :P ? The beauty of the bow is if you know how to make one then its something that can be done quite easily with materials at hand.

Offline Thargor

Reply #18 on: April 02, 2007, 04:45:08 PM
Hmmm, I suppose it might be better to start off with the original design and move on to the more complex models later if I start collecting them, probably a cheaper way of trying it out aswell, I found an Archery society in my college aswell, theres a meeting next thursday night so im going to go along and talk to them, thanks for the pics and advice everybody.

Offline plowboy

Reply #19 on: April 09, 2007, 06:47:33 PM
Compound bows are technological advancements using pulley systems and high tech materials that make shooting easier to master, allow you to shoot farther, and with better accuracy.  The pulleys allow for a higher draw weight with less pressure on your fingers, and they allow a "letoff" where the pressure of the bow drops to only a couple pounds to allow you to aim more comfortably.

They are fantastic gadgets and the add on factor means you will keep spending money on it for years to come.

Real men shoot recurve!

:P

Def

Amen!  Recurves (or longbows) are the real thing.  Although, after my shoulder surgery I did have to go to one of those darn compounds....but I'm planning on going back to a traditional bow one of these days.
 :)

Offline plowboy

Reply #20 on: April 09, 2007, 06:50:16 PM
There are some great threads about whittling and carving in SOSAK right now.  These guys have alot more skill than I do, but I'm betting I have alot more fingers than they do! :P

Def

I have somehow missed the threads on whittling....got to go over there now and take a look.

:)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD