Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What angles do you have your multitool blades set at?

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Hey guys, I was wondering, what angles do you have your multitool angle at? I use a Lansky system, and I like a 25 degree angle on each side on all my multitools.. I was looking at my Vic Mini Champ today, and I sharpened the "emergency blade" with a 17 degree angle on each side!  :)

So, what's your idea MT angle?

B

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: What angles do you have your multitool blades set at?
Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 05:04:45 AM
Well when I use the Sharpmaker I backbevel first to 30 degrees (15 degrees on each side) then I go back and put a 40 degrees edge (20 on each side) that seems to work very well for me :tu: When I do free hand sharpen I guess I put around a 30 degree edge on it ;)

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 10:41:54 AM
40 is what I use.

gb Online Magic Bus

• No Life Club
  • Ruler of the E01 society!!
Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 06:21:57 AM
Sharpmaker at 40 gets things very sharp indeed, although I'm not sure if this isn't a bit too wide for some of the LM blade grinds.
Gabba gabba hey!!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 06:34:07 AM
Sharpmaker at 40 gets things very sharp indeed, although I'm not sure if this isn't a bit too wide for some of the LM blade grinds.

Question how would 1 go about checking a blade angle :think: When you get down that small it would be difficult is there a tool to check this or is the eye all there is? :tu:

I really don't think I have had a problem with the 40 degree angle on my SM though with my LM :think:

But it could be that I first back beveled most of my users and then put the 40 degrees on it :cheers:

I am rather new to sharpening so feel free to give any and all tips for sharpening :D

gb Online Magic Bus

• No Life Club
  • Ruler of the E01 society!!
Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 06:53:42 AM
I'm still learning too Poncho, but it seems to me that the 40 degree setting puts a micro bevel on some of my LM blades rather than sharpening the whole of the edge. But then I don't think it matters because the factory edge grind on my TTi blade is pretty uneven anyway  :D
Gabba gabba hey!!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 07:24:30 AM
I'm still learning too Poncho, but it seems to me that the 40 degree setting puts a micro bevel on some of my LM blades rather than sharpening the whole of the edge. But then I don't think it matters because the factory edge grind on my TTi blade is pretty uneven anyway  :D

Owe okay I know what ya mean now :tu: That's why I went to the 30 degree angle first and then put the 40 degree angle second :cheers:

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
  • Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 08:46:47 PM
My personal opinion is, for most things 40 degrees (20 per side) is fine. Depending on the steel 30 degrees (15 per side) may be a little too thin, but will make a really nice slicer. Now, if you go the 30 degree than 40 degree thing, that's fine too. The idea is to get enough material behind the edge so it doesn't roll over while cutting stuff.

Another personal opinion is this. Try not to get too overly obsessed about edge angles, it will drive you crazy trying to find the "perfect" angles. Micro bevels, micro serrations, convex edges ..... all very nice. But it really comes down to what you have the ability to (relatively) easily maintain.

Me, I'm guessing my angles are about 40-42 degrees (20-21 per side). I just get knives sharp and go about my business. My definition of sharp being ... no burrs, and "grabbing" my thumb nail when gently touched at an angle. YMMV :)

Mike
Common sense ..... so rare, it's virtually a super power.

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 09:16:39 PM
On the Leatherman site it says their blades are sharpened at 32 degrees.

http://www.leatherman.com/knives/faq.aspx#3
Prone to daydreaming.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 09:34:23 PM
LOL

Expanse series knives, Steens, Ukiah, Klamath, and Nehalem have a flat grind.
We use a flat grind on the harder steel so we don’t go through as many CNC machine wheels hollow grinding. This is a cost measure.

I like how they are dead honest on the reason instead putting some performance spin on it. Although I do prefer flat over hollow.

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 10:13:44 PM
Honesty like that is impressive :tu:. Hopefully it does them some good - I'm much happier buying from a company that tells the truth.
Prone to daydreaming.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD