Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Tool Aesthetics

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Tool Aesthetics
on: September 21, 2006, 09:38:34 PM
It occurred to me today that tools not only are more functionally advanced than they were ten or twenty years ago, but they also look cooler.  Leatherman for example has abandoned the simple, smooth lines of a tool for sleeker, more ergonomic tools with fancier logos.  Of course, Leatherman isn't the only one doing this.  One only has to look at the newer Gerber models, and the style difference between the SwissTool and the Spirit to see that this really is a serious concern to manufacturers.

Naturally, us being more interested in tools for their functionality ( :P ) and nothing else, of course, the look of a tool doesn't mean anything to us.  After all, we are using tools, not looking at them, right?  And it's because of the different features that we have numerous tools, right?  Not because some look cooler than others...

I don't like to think that the look of tools makes a difference either, but I can't see these companies putting that much effort into a specific look for nothing, so I guess that there might be something to this...

Anyone else have any thoughts on the matter?
Def
AESTHETICS.JPG
* AESTHETICS.JPG (Filesize: 73.11 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Re: Tool Aesthetics
Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 10:49:31 PM
I like the older, classic styling.  It is slim, simple, and has nothing to snag on holsters or pockets when putting the tool away.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 03:15:30 AM
I dunno- the new LM style (pictured above) seems a little "busy" and it gets worse with the Charge where there are fancier cutouts etc.  The Juice and Squirt series seem to have gone the other way- very simplistic looks but then super bright colors.

I doubt they would have gone to such efforts if it didn't have some kind of effect- I am sure it was easier to just make a box that splits in half at a plier joint.  Add to that the extra "mechanical" look of the PowerLock, CrossCut and CrossGrip series and it seems like an unavoidable trend.  You could try to point to the functionality of the gears on the smaller SOG models, but do you really need compound leverage in a keychain tool?  The pliers really dig into your hand like the original LM models when you try so that's out, and one would hope that you aren't trying to force the CrossCut's scissors through anything so strong that you'd need compound leverage on.  Functionality?  i doubt it.  Uniformity?  Likely.  Cool aesthetics?  Definately.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 03:26:34 AM
I like simple aesthetics--form follows function for me.

Aesthetically, the Victorinox tools (esp. the Spirit) are perfect IMO.
- Terry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD