Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Strutting With My Swisschamp

us Offline Buzzbait

Strutting With My Swisschamp
on: April 29, 2009, 06:35:56 PM
So I finally made a belt pouch for new Swisschamp, and have been carrying it for the last couple days. I have to admit that I felt a bit naked at first, not having my Spirit at my side, but I did get used to the Swisschamp VERY QUICKLY. I really like it a lot. Having a more nail friendly file is great, and that magnifier is too handy for words. I don't understand how I ever got by without the magnifier. I've also made use of the ruler a few times already, as well as the toothpick after a particularly stringy steak last night.

The change in carry is the product of a month long experiment, keeping a diary of each time I used my Spirit, and each time I needed a tool but didn't have one. It turned out that I only used the pliers twice in the last month, and I was at home both times, where I have a real pair of pliers in the garage. On the other hand, I needed a magnifier many times, as well as a ruler, toothpick, pen, and eyeglass screwdriver. This analysis hastened the making of the pouch, and the Swisschamp trial has begun.

All in all, I'm quite impressed by the Swisschamp. The size and weight don't really feel much different than my Spirit. The only thing that's been bothering me is the knowledge that I don't have one of the old Swisschamps with the glass magnifier.  :drool: So I checked my Paypal account today, and found that I still had $50.00 left over, waiting to be spent on something worthy. So I tracked down an old glass magnifier Swisschamp on Ebay today, did a "Buy it Now", and should have a glass version in the new few days. And if you remember my previous Swisschamp post, I'll also be happy to have an awl that is actually pointy on the end. I'm pretty stoked.
--
'Buzz

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Strutting With My Swisschamp
Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 06:47:07 PM
Yup, there is a reason that SAKs are still in the game after 125 years.  Like you I so very rarely need pliers that almost every time a SAK will cover it.  That's the reason that I only carry a plier based tool when I'm more likely to need one than on an average day.  However you might want to think about something smaller that could be paired up with the Spirit.  A Sportsman perhaps, that would then give you the nail-file, T&T and the corkscrew to hold the mini driver.  Just a thought.  :)

On the magnifier front I'll be interested to know what you think about the old and the new.  Personally I prefer the new style (unlike most, I know).  The main reason being the fact that it has a bigger diameter and so a better field of vision.  Let us know what you think.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 07:59:25 PM
A really great tool :salute:.

I agree with you about the magnifier - I never realised how useful they are until I got my swisschamp.
Prone to daydreaming.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 10:21:19 PM
Yeah it's hard to know how you coped before you edc a Swisschamp :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 10:37:42 PM
I never pocket carry mine as the extra bulk is a bit much for me. Mine lives next to the bed and is used nearly every day I think, mostly for the scissors, file and pliers I think. It's a great tool  :tu:
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 10:39:01 PM
Should I ask what you use pliers for in the bedroom :o :D

Offline skydan

Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 11:54:56 PM
I have been similarly surprised at how useful the magnifier is since getting an Explorer (old style glass type) a while back. I've been peering at all kinds of thing. Looking at tiny insects close up is fun. It lives in the kitchen with a Swisstool for company.

mx Offline Sidhartha

• Hecho en México
Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 11:59:15 PM
the pliers are just awsome my favorite tool, the magnifier is also very usefull i like to see all kind of things whit that.   >:D
custom swiss army knives

Offline Ben X

Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 09:33:08 AM
Not me, I use the reamer in the bedroom a lot. Sometimes the corkscrew  >:D

No, seriously, for hanging pics, the reamer is good for getting a hole started in drywall, or marking once you measure.
"

Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 06:57:21 PM
 :D :D

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 10:30:45 PM
i couldn't live without my Swisschamp it has been used for everything inc d.i.y ,first aid ,package opening and even on one occasion cutting a small boys lace from an escalator which he had it trapped in .No I did not have a smug look on my face when his dad was standing watching like a spare wheel while I rescued his boy .The best thing about it is the fact that it's completely sheeple friendly nobody bats an eye when you take it out in public (the knife you rotten lot )

Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 10:36:08 PM
That's one of the underlying beauties about the Swisschamp, it is by far the most sheeple friendly knife out there, even compared to other saks :tu:

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 10:46:14 PM
That's one of the underlying beauties about the Swisschamp, it is by far the most sheeple friendly knife out there, even compared to other saks :tu:
i think it has to do with the all over size of the tool it is big but not too big and has a lot tools on it so it is obviously not for slashing stabbing and dismembering your neighbours and there is always the boy scout associations of the Swiss Army knife

Reply #13 on: April 30, 2009, 10:48:56 PM
Yep, and like you say, it's the gadget factor rather that the knife that people associate with the SC :)

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: May 01, 2009, 12:15:03 AM
In my previous life I carried a Cybertool Lite, another big girth SAK.  Never a negative reaction even in schools (fixing their computers), some thought it was really cool with all the widgets on it others just laughed and thought it was a bit too geeky  ::) :D

That is going back seven, eight years but even in these less rational times I like to think the big fat SAKs would still get a similar reaction.

Neil

I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #15 on: May 01, 2009, 04:19:44 AM
The friendliness definitely has to do with the size. When the SAK knife blades are outnumbered 30:1 by odd gadgety tools, the tool as a whole does not seem very threatening. Thus, as the layers of the SAK increases, the friendly factor increases proportionately. This is Swiss-Math.
--
'Buzz

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #16 on: May 01, 2009, 04:21:44 AM

At least it isn't for lady friends in need of a tiny magnifier.  :pok:
--
'Buzz

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #17 on: May 02, 2009, 03:53:12 AM
On the magnifier front I'll be interested to know what you think about the old and the new.  Personally I prefer the new style (unlike most, I know).  The main reason being the fact that it has a bigger diameter and so a better field of vision.  Let us know what you think.

The older style Swisschamp arrived today.

From a purely utilitarian standpoint, the newer version Swisschamp seems to be a real winner. The larger diameter viewing area of the plastic magnifier makes a big difference. The plastic lens also seems to have far less peripheral distortion. The magnification of the newer version does a good enough job. I also like how the opposing Philips screwdriver on the newer style Swisschamp locks into the open position more securely.

The big question is a matter of long term durability. While glass can be shattered by impacts, I'm much more worried about how quickly the newer plastic magnifier will become scratched. The older style glass magnifier looks like it could last for a long, long time. The glass magnifier has a higher level of magnification, which I would have loved when I was in the printing business. You can really pick up the details in printed matter with the glass lens, that you cannot see with the newer style plastic lens. My guess is that the glass lens would be far better at lighting fires in a survival pinch than the plastic lens. I also dig the longer Philips driver on the older version.

So which is better for me? I'm not quite sure. For every day use, the newer version is probably superior. But for outdoor use, I'd probably choose the durability and more focused lens of the older model. My guess is that the older model will get more pocket time, as I'm already thinking about changing my EDC from the newer style Swisschamp to possibly the Cybertool Lite. The Cybertool Lite has that great plastic magnifier, and it also has the Cybertool bit driver that I love so much. I've used the awesome Cybertool 34 at work for years now (I'm a computer technician), and since I'm now hooked on the Vic magnifier, the Cybertool Lite looks a perfect match for me. Why is it that every Victorinox acquisition seems to lead to yet another Vic acquisition? This must be some sort of dastardly Victorinox marketing ploy.

One more thing. The older style Swisschamp came with this awesome little booklet with pictures of all the tool uses. It's a fantastic booklet. My newer style Swisschamp did not have this booklet, which is a real bummer.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 03:56:47 AM by Buzzbait »
--
'Buzz

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #18 on: May 02, 2009, 04:52:10 AM
Wow. I just noticed the difference between the files on these two models. The file on the newer model is an absolute beast in comparison to the older model file. The newer one is thicker, less flexible, and far coarser than the old one. The newer file reminds me much of the Swisstool Spirit file. The older file is probably better for finger nails, but for actually fabricating things, the new file seems much improved. Did I hear somewhere that the newer files are no longer case hardened?
--
'Buzz

gp Offline Nightshade

Reply #19 on: May 02, 2009, 06:07:10 AM
Buzz, I really like the SwissChamp and the plier-less Champion models. I prefer the older model with the longer phillips and glass magnifier. Although the new model with the larger plastic magnifier "should" be better at fire starting due to its larger focal length. A fun article: http://www.scribd.com/doc/4628797/Solar-Fire-Making   

The various versions of the SwissChamp are so very well documented here: http://www.sakcollector.com/Victorinox_Evolution_of_the_Swiss_Champ.pdf
A Leatherman Mini-tool or Sideclip paired with a SwissChamp can handle a whole lotta of lifes little emergencies.
 :climber: :salute:

"

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: May 02, 2009, 09:05:03 AM
I'm glad you like the new knife.  I mostly agree with you about the magnifiers, the plastic seems to be a bit more utilitarian the the old, but the old may be more durable.  I don't carry my Swisschamp all the time but I have yet to see any scratches on it, perhaps the fact we both carry them in a pouch will add to the protection and lessen the chance of some grit getting to the lens.  I remember reading the same thing about the new file not being case hardened but I have no real evidence on it.  IIRC it was over on SOSAK and I just don't have the will to try and do a search over there right now.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #21 on: May 02, 2009, 12:47:49 PM
Personally, I prefer both the older styled magnifyer and the older styled file as I always twin a SAK with a MT and the files on MT's are generally quite aggressive.
I'm back!!

Reply #22 on: May 02, 2009, 01:37:20 PM
I prefere the new style, as like as has been pointed out, it it a lot more usable :)

The old one was better at burning people though >:D

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #23 on: May 03, 2009, 01:42:18 AM
Although the new model with the larger plastic magnifier "should" be better at fire starting due to its larger focal length.

I tried to burn wood with the magnifiers of both Swisschamps today. I couldn't get either to make so much as a tiny burn spot on a piece of balsa wood.  :(
--
'Buzz

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #24 on: May 03, 2009, 01:45:19 AM

At least it isn't for lady friends in need of a tiny magnifier.  :pok:

Hmm, I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you  :D
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

gp Offline Nightshade

Reply #25 on: May 03, 2009, 02:50:09 AM
Although the new model with the larger plastic magnifier "should" be better at fire starting due to its larger focal length.

I tried to burn wood with the magnifiers of both Swisschamps today. I couldn't get either to make so much as a tiny burn spot on a piece of balsa wood.  :(

Oh good, it's not just me then. :D :D  I never have had the patience :P or conditions to get the glass magnifier to work either. I carry a BSA firesteel in my wallet with a Fresnel lens. http://www.bestglide.com/fresnel_lens_firestarter.html  My son loved torturing fire ant colonies with the latter.
"

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #26 on: May 03, 2009, 03:26:56 AM
It may not be a very good fire starter, but it is an excellent magnifier.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 04:13:34 AM by Buzzbait »
--
'Buzz

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #27 on: May 03, 2009, 04:13:14 AM
I remember reading the same thing about the new file not being case hardened but I have no real evidence on it.  IIRC it was over on SOSAK and I just don't have the will to try and do a search over there right now.

Here is some evidence, from SAKCollector.com. Read the 2005 entry.

http://www.sakcollector.com/Victorinox_SAK_History_Urs_Wyss_-_Updated_12_FEB_08.pdf
--
'Buzz

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: May 03, 2009, 01:50:53 PM
It may not be a very good fire starter, but it is an excellent magnifier.

Nice assisted macros  :tu:

Neil
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: May 03, 2009, 03:52:38 PM
Buzz , I had similar thoughts , but find it hard to do wothout pliers . I dont think the Spirit will get displaced for play . Work is a different proposition altogether , my compact tool pouch already contains cutters , needlenosed pliers and a small pair of slipjoints . All the aforementioned are either Klien or Snap On , at that point you can well ask what the Spirit actually brings to the party .

Chris

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD