Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What is the deal with Wenger?

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
What is the deal with Wenger?
on: May 05, 2009, 01:13:47 AM
I just picked up a Wenger Journeyman and I have a few thoughts on my purchase. First off I was really happy with the price of the knife ($16 US) at Big 5. The tool selection is really nice and I especially love the fully serrated blade and  adjustable pliers. The pliers alone sold me on this tool.  :tu: What I didn't expect was for the overall quality of the tool to be as bad as it was. It looks like they've gone to a sticker logo ( ::)) and there was some pretty serious play on some of the tools. Is this the last step before the knives are made in China? Anyone else notice the Wenger quality lately?

I'm still happy with my purchase for the $$$, but it just worries me to see the quality of the knife be so much less then I'm used to seeing from Wenger. I used the knife all day yesterday and it did everything I asked of it, so maybe I'm being too critical of a $16 knife.  :think:

What are your thoughts....

Here is the Journeyman:

http://www.wengerna.com/serrated-journeyman-16402
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Re: What is the deal with Wenger?
Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 01:15:39 AM
The cross is no longer aluminium?
(

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 01:16:10 AM
The Wengers I saw didn't exactly blow me away either TBH.
I'm back!!

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 01:16:52 AM

Not on the model I bought.  Maybe it's a budget line or something?  :think:

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 01:20:07 AM

Not on the model I bought.  Maybe it's a budget line or something?  :think:

I know the evo ones have a cross like on the esquire. I hope they aren't doing that on the regular scales(thats one one the big reasons I like Wenger).
(

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 01:21:28 AM
Why don't you send an email to their support? Perhaps what you got was a QC slippage and they can fix it under warranty... :-\

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 03:00:04 AM
That's a shame to hear.  In fact it's the first time I've heard of a modern Wenger being of notably poor quality.  While the backsprings may be a little softer than on a Vic, giving them a different feel, I still wouldn't expect there to be any amount of play in the tools.  As Noth says it may just be one that slipped through the net. 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 03:31:18 AM
I'll be buying a Wenger in a few weeks I hope the quality is good.
(

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 04:47:29 AM
I'm sorry to hear that you got clunker,and it looks like such a handy SAK too.Is there any possibility that you might've been sold some old pre-Elsener stock that was laying around in an warehouse?
I

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 05:10:03 AM
I have 3 separate Wengers I use regularly.  They are all of high quality.  I really like them for compact pocket carry plus they have very nice tool selection. 

Sounds like a clunker to me.  I'd send it for repair. 

Personally, I'm a big fan of the 85 mm Wenger tools.

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 06:15:54 AM
I just went out and bought another one from a different store and the quality is the same. A nice user, but not the quality that I'm used to. :(

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 07:28:32 AM
I don't think the quality is bad on modern Wenger's, quite the opposite in fact :) But I do think Victorinox has the edge :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 05, 2009, 07:46:44 AM
I don't have any  83 mm wengers but my ranger and keychain models aren't any worse than vic.

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Reply #13 on: May 05, 2009, 10:24:56 PM
I have only a few Wengers and the quality is good but I don't beleive they are up to Vic standards.

When I want to see how far Wenger has gone in their quality I go dig out the old SwissBuck
(IMHO there was some POOR quality going on at that time).

I have an Evo Grip 18 that I think is great, a Nail Clipper that is awesome and a Ranger 61 w/clip that is pretty cool but not an OHT. ;)

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 08:21:19 AM
I have only a few Wengers and the quality is good but I don't beleive they are up to Vic standards.

When I want to see how far Wenger has gone in their quality I go dig out the old SwissBuck
(IMHO there was some POOR quality going on at that time).

I have an Evo Grip 18 that I think is great, a Nail Clipper that is awesome and a Ranger 61 w/clip that is pretty cool but not an OHT. ;)

I have a Evo Grip 18 as well and that is much better quality wise. I'm still trying to figure out why my Journeyman was so poorly done.  :think: 

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #15 on: May 09, 2009, 12:38:36 AM
I just got an Evogrip 18 too and overall it's a good tool. Vic definitely has the edge over it but I'm happy with it as a user - good tool line up on it.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

Offline Nutznboltz

Reply #16 on: May 09, 2009, 06:10:52 AM
GG,  I sympathize.  I also have the journeyman and noticed the quality wasn't up to SAK standards.  The awl on my has quite a bit of play and its has nothing to do with the spring tension, its actually loose and wiggles like a loose tooth.
The emblem is an aluminum sticker on mine. I too got this because of the cool serrated blade and pliers however, I've found the Vic pliers are better grippers.

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: May 09, 2009, 06:14:25 AM
GG,  I sympathize.  I also have the journeyman and noticed the quality wasn't up to SAK standards.  The awl on my has quite a bit of play and its has nothing to do with the spring tension, its actually loose and wiggles like a loose tooth.
The emblem is an aluminum sticker on mine. I too got this because of the cool serrated blade and pliers however, I've found the Vic pliers are better grippers.

Aluminum sticker!  ::)  I'm going 100% Vic from now on.  :tu:  Its kind of like saying I love Chevy, but hate GMC!  :rofl: :rofl:

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: May 09, 2009, 06:28:22 AM
I'm going 100% Vic from now on.

You mean you weren't before?

You think you know someone.

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: May 09, 2009, 09:34:41 AM
I think these SKSa are very old stock back from when Wenger was struggling. I got an old Handyman once and the quality was drastically different to my new Wengers.

I have no idea whats going on with the stickers though....  :think:
[

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: May 09, 2009, 10:31:49 AM
I think these SAKs are very old stock back from when Wenger was struggling. I got an old Handyman once and the quality was drastically different to my new Wengers.

I have no idea whats going on with the stickers though....  :think:

Good thought actually, the issues certainly sound like the complaints made about the older Wenger SAKs.  Very much like my old one as well.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: May 09, 2009, 10:29:29 PM

Aluminum sticker WTF.
(

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: May 10, 2009, 01:53:23 AM

Aluminum sticker WTF.

Yep, really poor quality there.  ::)

Offline Ben X

Reply #23 on: May 11, 2009, 02:55:05 PM
Well, I got the SI with the broken tip back from Wenger today. I will say they at least returned the $3 money order so I am less unhappy with them.
"

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: May 22, 2009, 09:33:18 PM
Got a Wenger today and the quality is fine.
(

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #25 on: May 24, 2009, 03:50:38 AM
So far, I cannot complain about any of my Wengers, including the Clippers and Rangers :think: :tu:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

us Offline bren10man

Reply #26 on: May 24, 2009, 04:24:05 AM
A year ago, I bought a Wenger Deluxe Cigar Cutter.  Stainless steel coffin scales with lizard leather inserts in the scales.  Quality was excellent.  Then again, it came in a deluxe gift box and the price was nearly $120....Wenger beats Victorinox in the cigar cutter tool category.  I gave it away last July to a friend of mine I was visiting in the states.  It lacked a key ring....not good.

My wife has an EVO 16 and I got her a Clipper AT (air travel certified...has screwdriver instead of blade).  They are OK, but lots of play in the EVO 16.

I do have a Wenger SI....but won't use it.  

Then again, I have over 30 Victorinoxes.....quality for Vic is much better than Wenger.  

One thing though: the pouches/sheaths made for Victorinox seem to be cheesy.....except for the SOS kit, the ballistic pouch sold with many Victorinoxes (i.e. Swiss Champ and SwissTool).  In that case, I use a pouch sold by Brigade Quartermaster...can be carried 3 different ways.  And comes in: Black, Woodland Camo, ACU-Digital camo.  

Now, NOT knife related but Victorinox and Wenger related: hands down, Vic makes BETTER luggage and backpacks than does Wenger.  I have a Wenger laptop computer backpack.  Thing started ripping and coming apart 1 month after I bought it 3 years ago.  I spent $825 on 3 pieces of Victorinox NXT 4.0 luggage (large suitcase, medium suitcase, and roll-on carry-on bag; the 2 suitcases have garment bags built in and detachable from the lid of the suitcase).  OMG!!!  The quality is outstanding!!!!
MOLON LABE!

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #27 on: May 24, 2009, 05:31:38 AM

Now, NOT knife related but Victorinox and Wenger related: hands down, Vic makes BETTER luggage and backpacks than does Wenger.  I have a Wenger laptop computer backpack.  Thing started ripping and coming apart 1 month after I bought it 3 years ago.  I spent $825 on 3 pieces of Victorinox NXT 4.0 luggage (large suitcase, medium suitcase, and roll-on carry-on bag; the 2 suitcases have garment bags built in and detachable from the lid of the suitcase).  OMG!!!  The quality is outstanding!!!!

Consider vic's bags are easily 3x the price wenger, they better be.

us Offline Stormdrane

• No Life Club
  • Be Prepared
Reply #28 on: May 24, 2009, 11:22:20 AM
The Wenger EvoGrip 18 that I have is a well built, good quality SAK, and I especially like the grippy scales.  The only issue that I can think of is that the serrated scissors cut cord/string ok, but not as cleanly as my Victorinox and Leatherman tool's scissors.

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #29 on: May 24, 2009, 06:58:34 PM
A dreamcatcher lanyard? That's about the coolest thing I've seen in a long time. :tu:
I

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD