Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What light did you carry today?

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: What light did you carry today?
Reply #2610 on: November 04, 2022, 10:05:42 PM
It's a compromise, by moving away from standard batteries it enables different designs and form factors. This isn't to everyone's tastes, but does serve a purpose.

Yeah, I understand that.  The options are interesting and useful and breaking away from the normal designs are possibly the only real way to achieve them.

I'm just getting old and cranky about the disposable society we live in.  :D  I'm old school I guess and still carrying around P60 hosts because I like modularity, dependability and the ability to actually fix them, upgrade them and keep them going.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 10:10:47 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2611 on: November 04, 2022, 10:12:30 PM
Just found this video
https://youtu.be/DzNK_WQX-Iw
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #2612 on: November 04, 2022, 11:22:11 PM
Anyone know if that Li-Ion pack is a standard item?

How gadet-y does a flashlight need to be?
- Terry

us Offline powernoodle

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #2614 on: November 05, 2022, 12:01:28 AM
Yeah, I understand that.  The options are interesting and useful and breaking away from the normal designs are possibly the only real way to achieve them.

I'm just getting old and cranky about the disposable society we live in.  :D  I'm old school I guess and still carrying around P60 hosts because I like modularity, dependability and the ability to actually fix them, upgrade them and keep them going.

I can understand that, I don't like disposable things that aren't recyclable/compostable, like wooden cutlery, paper plates etc.

However, I also don't think stuff like this is 'disposable,' I have the original Olight i1R on my keys, I prefer the size to the later iterations. That has a built-in battery that obviously will degrade until it's non-viable. However, I got and have been using that since January 2019, almost 4 years later it's still running just fine. At this rate, I expect I'll easily clear 5 years with it, at which point if it were to become non-viable I wouldn't call that 'disposible.' I guess the difference in my mind is whether something is being 'discarded' because something new is wanted (iPhone culture is a good example of this), because it isn't performing at 100%, or because it's just simply not viable.

If you used something until it didn't work anymore, and I mean used not abused, then it wasn't 'disposible' in my view.
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2615 on: November 05, 2022, 12:22:14 AM
Anyone know if that Li-Ion pack is a standard item?

How gadet-y does a flashlight need to be?

I dont know if its regular item stocked  :dunno:

On/off would suffice.  I was pretty well set with my Zebralight SC52 L2 till I picked up an Olight S1R when they came out.  I've always been intrigued by the Tiki and such so when Rovyvon came out with the Auroa with RED Aux LEDs I snapped it up.  Its been on my keychain since and has really proved itself.  Its more of a back up light. 

I also have an early TOOL AA.  Great light.  I like both it and the ZL for their ability to use whatever cell I have handy, Eneloops are my go to but I also have 14500s for extra punch.  The Olight sits at my bedside these days.  Now to complicate my answer even further, I really love gadget-y so Anduril was on my radar for a long time.  I was generously gifted a D4V2 that I LOOOOOOOOOVE.  Talk about fun.  Necessary? I'd say so since al my light bases are totally covered and whats wrong with a little fun?

I've got a handful of AAA lights as well and one in particular I have 2Xs, Fenix LD02.  Brilliant light. 

Again I can't argue with your logic with proprietary cells in particular the one we are discussing  :salute:

I'll say that since my "bases" are well covered it is super fun to have a play with new gadgets.  YMMV as well as others milage.  On/Off is all that is needed but I do enjoy the fun.  Did I tell you about my D4V2 with aux LEDs? 

I cannot begin to be thankful enough to Sos  :hatsoff:.  On Halloween I used lightening mode in my window and it was such a blast.  My dear Sir, you'll get no push back from me when your right you're right.  My other lights do what they need and some go a bit further with options.  That's all fine and dandy.  My Aurora with flashing red LED recently was used as I changed a flat on the side of the road.  Whether it helped or my cars flashers helped or the fact I was well off the road or where I positioned myself or that I can change a tire in no time flat it was another level in my mind of safety. 

I do love my Eneloops and I do love a light that can take multiple cell chemistries.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #2616 on: November 05, 2022, 04:16:08 AM
If you used something until it didn't work anymore, and I mean used not abused, then it wasn't 'disposible' in my view.

That's just semantics to me.  I use a Sharpie marker (not abused) until it doesn't work anymore.  It's a disposable item.  You use it until you have no other choice than to dispose of it.

I have LED flashlights that are nearly 20 years old and I still use.  I can still buy cells for them and they still perform the task they were designed for perfectly fine.  Nothing has made them truly obsolete, so I don't have to dispose of them.  I can buy replacement parts for them. In many cases, I can buy parts to upgrade them to current technology, with more efficient drivers and emitters.

When you get to the point where your battery has degraded until the runtime is no longer useful for the tasks you ask of it and you can't buy a replacement cell to run your otherwise perfectly good flashlight on...well, I guess another way to put it is "engineered obsolescence".  Tools should not be designed that way, in my opinion.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 04:54:12 AM by NutSAK »
- Terry

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2617 on: November 05, 2022, 03:20:14 PM
 :salute:

It is nice there is a battery replacement option for the one in the video I linked.  I agree it will be a shame when the battery degrades and there is no other option to keep it going. We'll see just how long the A5 I have will last.  In the mean time its a really good light.

I'm a bigger fan of AA/AAA lights and more so ones that can take their lithium equivalents.  I did dip my toe into the 18650 pond and wow.  There's a lot of fun to be had.  Not sure I'll fully submerge since its more practical to say in the shallow end for my purposes. 

Time change tomorrow so I'll typically carry my keychain light, AAA light, and light saber.     

Esse Quam Videri

• No Life Club
Reply #2618 on: November 05, 2022, 09:55:39 PM
That's just semantics to me.  I use a Sharpie marker (not abused) until it doesn't work anymore.  It's a disposable item.  You use it until you have no other choice than to dispose of it.

I have LED flashlights that are nearly 20 years old and I still use.  I can still buy cells for them and they still perform the task they were designed for perfectly fine.  Nothing has made them truly obsolete, so I don't have to dispose of them.  I can buy replacement parts for them. In many cases, I can buy parts to upgrade them to current technology, with more efficient drivers and emitters.

When you get to the point where your battery has degraded until the runtime is no longer useful for the tasks you ask of it and you can't buy a replacement cell to run your otherwise perfectly good flashlight on...well, I guess another way to put it is "engineered obsolescence".  Tools should not be designed that way, in my opinion.

Clearly we disagree, and I'm going to highlight that by pointing out what you just mentioned is essentially Trigger's broom, or for international members, the ship of Theseus.

If you replace the emitter and the driver in a flashlight, then all that remains is the hollow tube. That is not a testament to 'repairability,' that's you building a new flashlight in the corpse of the old one. It's a testament to your desire to recycle and your love for a certain form factor, but if your argument goes down this route, you may as start talking about disassembling lights and replacing cells that were never intended for that, who cares about the intended design when you're just going to use the shell how you see fit, right?
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2619 on: November 05, 2022, 10:46:31 PM
The nights are fair drawing in (as they say around here) so it's time to get a bit more punch and runtime in the pocket.  This Eagtac D25A Clicky has never let me down. 

* 20220311_113650.jpg (Filesize: 290.17 KB)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #2620 on: November 05, 2022, 11:40:13 PM
The nights are fair drawing in (as they say around here) so it's time to get a bit more punch and runtime in the pocket.  This Eagtac D25A Clicky has never let me down.
Nice little combo all around :tu:

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #2621 on: November 06, 2022, 12:58:58 AM
 :iagree:
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #2622 on: November 06, 2022, 01:29:36 AM
Clearly we disagree, and I'm going to highlight that by pointing out what you just mentioned is essentially Trigger's broom, or for international members, the ship of Theseus.

If you replace the emitter and the driver in a flashlight, then all that remains is the hollow tube. That is not a testament to 'repairability,' that's you building a new flashlight in the corpse of the old one. It's a testament to your desire to recycle and your love for a certain form factor, but if your argument goes down this route, you may as start talking about disassembling lights and replacing cells that were never intended for that, who cares about the intended design when you're just going to use the shell how you see fit, right?

You may want to re-read what I said. I didn't refer to updating the driver or emitter as repair-ability, I referred to it as upgrading.

Quote from: NutSAK
In many cases, I can buy parts to upgrade them to current technology, with more efficient drivers and emitters.

Please don't put words in my mouth.  Repairing would be disassembling or replacing a switch, a lens, or off-the shelf orings.  I was pointing out that, along with repairing, upgrading is another thing you can't do with that Rovyvon.

Your diatribe after misinterpreting my comments does make me curious however; do you consider replacing an engine in an automobile repairing it, or building a whole new automobile in the corpse of the old one?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2022, 01:40:14 AM by NutSAK »
- Terry

• No Life Club
Reply #2623 on: November 06, 2022, 01:39:45 AM
You may want to re-read what I said. I didn't refer to updating the driver or emitter as repair-ability, I referred to it as upgrading.

Please don't put words in my mouth.  Repairing would be replacing a switch, a lens, or replacing off-the shelf orings.

"I have LED flashlights that are nearly 20 years old and I still use.  I can still buy cells for them and they still perform the task they were designed for perfectly fine.  Nothing has made them truly obsolete, so I don't have to dispose of them.  I can buy replacement parts for them. In many cases, I can buy parts to upgrade them to current technology, with more efficient drivers and emitters."

The first statement in bold and the last statement in bold are what I took issue with. You focused on the word repairability, I'm focused on it not being the same light for 20 years.

Note: saying that you do still have some that are 20 years old and still use stock doesn't invalidate this.

Like how you could use the same PC case, but replace every internal component. It wouldn't be the same PC, it would be a different PC in the same case.

But whatever, you prefer a certain approach, I prefer a mix. c'est la vie.

• No Life Club
Reply #2624 on: November 06, 2022, 01:40:02 AM

Nice!

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #2625 on: November 06, 2022, 01:43:42 AM

"I have LED flashlights that are nearly 20 years old and I still use.  I can still buy cells for them and they still perform the task they were designed for perfectly fine.  Nothing has made them truly obsolete, so I don't have to dispose of them.  I can buy replacement parts for them. In many cases, I can buy parts to upgrade them to current technology, with more efficient drivers and emitters."

The first statement in bold and the last statement in bold are what I took issue with. You focused on the word repairability, I'm focused on it not being the same light for 20 years.

Note: saying that you do still have some that are 20 years old and still use stock doesn't invalidate this.

Like how you could use the same PC case, but replace every internal component. It wouldn't be the same PC, it would be a different PC in the same case.

But whatever, you prefer a certain approach, I prefer a mix. c'est la vie.

I'm merely pointing out things that I can do with my flashlights that you will not be able to do with a Rovyvon for 20 years.   Use them, replace the cells, repair them, and upgrade them. 

How you thought all of my comments were about repair is beyond me.  I also never said that those 20 year-old lights I still use had been upgraded.  I only said that in many cases that is an option. 

Either way, I will end the discussion to avoid further misinterpretation of my statements that may lead to argument.
- Terry

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #2626 on: November 10, 2022, 01:57:24 AM
I’m pretty much rolling with the PD40R V2 daily, and probably will continue to do so until something comparably sized comes out that soundly beats it in brightness, run time, or both.

Yes, it’s a bit on the large and heavy side for an EDC light.  But it’s stunningly bright on the high end, while on the lower end it can easily go all night long, or last a full week of camping if used somewhat judiciously.

* IMG_0631.jpg (Filesize: 113.72 KB)

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #2627 on: February 01, 2023, 08:28:02 PM
Wurkkos TS10, because it runs on Anduril 2

* Valet&TS10.jpg (Filesize: 135.47 KB)

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #2628 on: February 01, 2023, 09:00:38 PM
This one  ;)

* Rescue Tool 010223a.jpg (Filesize: 332.14 KB)
They don't like it up 'em!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2629 on: February 08, 2023, 10:04:27 PM
I keep lights with my leather slips.  Fenix E05ss and Manker are great lights. 

* IMG_7447.jpg (Filesize: 162.37 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #2630 on: April 05, 2023, 09:18:51 PM
Been rocking this fenix ld01 as my edc for 9 years.

* IMG_1580.jpg (Filesize: 116.87 KB)
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2631 on: April 05, 2023, 09:39:00 PM
Been rocking this fenix ld01 as my edc for 9 years.

I've got it's older brother, the L0D.  Still a usable little light, even 15 years (!) later. 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #2632 on: April 06, 2023, 02:41:20 AM
I've got it's older brother, the L0D.  Still a usable little light, even 15 years (!) later.

Yeah, I really liked that family of lights.  Rock solid and useful modes and output levels.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2633 on: April 12, 2023, 04:43:16 PM
 :salute: Solid lights
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #2634 on: April 16, 2023, 03:14:15 PM
I dont know if its regular item stocked  :dunno:

On/off would suffice.  I was pretty well set with my Zebralight SC52 L2 till I picked up an Olight S1R when they came out.  I've always been intrigued by the Tiki and such so when Rovyvon came out with the Auroa with RED Aux LEDs I snapped it up.  Its been on my keychain since and has really proved itself.  Its more of a back up light. 

I also have an early TOOL AA.  Great light.  I like both it and the ZL for their ability to use whatever cell I have handy, Eneloops are my go to but I also have 14500s for extra punch.  The Olight sits at my bedside these days.  Now to complicate my answer even further, I really love gadget-y so Anduril was on my radar for a long time.  I was generously gifted a D4V2 that I LOOOOOOOOOVE.  Talk about fun.  Necessary? I'd say so since al my light bases are totally covered and whats wrong with a little fun?

I've got a handful of AAA lights as well and one in particular I have 2Xs, Fenix LD02.  Brilliant light. 

Again I can't argue with your logic with proprietary cells in particular the one we are discussing  :salute:

I'll say that since my "bases" are well covered it is super fun to have a play with new gadgets.  YMMV as well as others milage.  On/Off is all that is needed but I do enjoy the fun.  Did I tell you about my D4V2 with aux LEDs? 

I cannot begin to be thankful enough to Sos  :hatsoff:.  On Halloween I used lightening mode in my window and it was such a blast.  My dear Sir, you'll get no push back from me when your right you're right.  My other lights do what they need and some go a bit further with options.  That's all fine and dandy.  My Aurora with flashing red LED recently was used as I changed a flat on the side of the road.  Whether it helped or my cars flashers helped or the fact I was well off the road or where I positioned myself or that I can change a tire in no time flat it was another level in my mind of safety. 

I do love my Eneloops and I do love a light that can take multiple cell chemistries.

Been away from this part of MTO too long.

I also have a TOOL AAA and love it so much. Sits in my Skinth until I need it. More of a back up role which is a shame as it’s modified and very bright.

Still dark in the morning while I do my pre trip so this old soldier has been putting in some work. Sunwayman V11R. Best variable light in the game imo. Just works.

Running a 14500 with the extender since there was an extra one laying around. Give the light a little extra brightness and can use Eneloops or regular AAs in a pinch. Actually like it being a little longer so there is more to grip when using the brightness wheel.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2635 on: April 16, 2023, 03:58:44 PM
Nice light.  Variable light is a very nice feature.  I appreciate being able to adjust output that best suits what I need.  Any light that accepts various cells is a bonus tho I am still loving my 18650 D4V2.  Anduril is so much fun.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #2636 on: April 18, 2023, 02:17:57 AM
Nice light.  Variable light is a very nice feature.  I appreciate being able to adjust output that best suits what I need.  Any light that accepts various cells is a bonus tho I am still loving my 18650 D4V2.  Anduril is so much fun.   

Best thing about variable lights is being to have the light come on almost exactly as bright as you need.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2637 on: June 02, 2023, 04:27:06 PM
Fenix E05 SS.  Theres not much to this light but man it does exactly what its supposed to.  I like the weight on it too.  Its soaks up every bit of the battery as well. 

* IMG_8617.jpg (Filesize: 69.22 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

no Offline nakken

• No Life Club
Reply #2638 on: July 07, 2023, 09:09:01 PM

us Offline Archibald Tuttle

Reply #2639 on: August 12, 2023, 06:34:26 PM
Same since 2012, Jetbeam TCR1 . On some other forums (a few now defunct) it was suggested I wouldn't survive and thrive without a certain brand, or certain interface, or certain battery , or certain emitter du jour, or certain driver.  Yet, it's survived sweat and sand and dirt and drops and washing machines and even a occasional star gazing party.   :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%