Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

1998 Sideclip and 2008 Sideclip pictures

Offline silentio

1998 Sideclip and 2008 Sideclip pictures
on: May 16, 2009, 11:53:13 AM
So I got my Sideclip from the latest group buy (Thanks, DaveK), and after carrying it for a few days, I realised that there may never be another version that looks the same. Came to that conclusion because it occured to me, the Skeletool IS the new Sideclip. This observation has probably been made by many of you (notably J-sews in a nice pictorial), but posting it again gives me an excuse to post pictures :P.

So the reasoning is obvious. You get almost the exact same tools in a package that's almost the same size. Their weights, according to LM, are both 142g.

Basking in the late afternoon sun

What you do get with the Sideclip is the old-school Leatherman style. I really like the matte finish on mine :)

Unfortunately, this Sideclip won't be helping in that papercraft project in the background

Offline silentio

Re: 1998 Sideclip and 2008 Sideclip pictures
Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 11:58:09 AM
The Skeletool has the advantage of a larger, one-hand locking knife. The bits make it a little more flexible too, though some will prefer the Sideclip's longer screwdrivers. These points make it a worthy replacement to the Sideclip.

Aside from its "retro" design, the Sideclip does have its functional advantages. The can opener for one, though it's something I will never use. But this particular one, I do use, and unfortunately, it's not something that can be easily implemented on the Skeletool--the ruler

If you are wondering, I'm a metric guy myself

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 01:08:23 PM
Interesting posts :tu:

Prone to daydreaming.

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 06:35:07 PM
i feel the same way too, the kick is supose to be the sideclip replacement, but the skeletool fits that spot better IMO
A

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 04:59:12 AM
i feel the same way too, the kick is supose to be the sideclip replacement, but the skeletool fits that spot better IMO

That's what I think as well :)

Great pics silentio :tu:

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 05:55:08 AM

That's what I think as well :)

Great pics silentio :tu:
I never really thought of it that way,but since you've mentioned it,and I've thought it over,I agree.
I

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 01:07:01 PM
I dont know about the kick falling short. 1 the tool is cheaper than any sidekick ever was. I can get one out the door at wallyworld for 29 bucks. 2 I find the kick has less flex than the sidekick. 3 I find it dont rust as easy, and did I mention that there are tons of kicks at wallyworld cheap? I have to got 5 of them floating around the house and cars.
S

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD