Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which FOLDING KNIFE did you carry today?

Sean · 13368 · 702317

00 Offline SgtTowser

Re: Which FOLDING KNIFE did you carry today?
Reply #12960 on: March 20, 2021, 03:57:39 AM
As Jimmy Buffett would say:  "The weather is here!"  Went-out for a perimeter recon today:

(Image removed from quote.)

ETripper, hello again. Your Off the Grid knives impressed me, and we are both left handers, so I took a look at their site and found a 3 incher in D2 that looked very right and versatile. Flush screws for the clip, but it’s slim enough I might carry without the clip some. It’s called BADGER BLACKOUT EDC. Have you had one, or have you any thoughts on it’s pluses and minuses. Also, where are they made? China, or Taiwan? Thanks in advance.

us Offline eTripper

• No Life Club
  • "My real name is Cosmo Pombal"
Reply #12961 on: March 20, 2021, 05:00:19 AM
I've heard that Off Grid blades are made in both China, and Taiwan [We Knives, and Bestech].  I have no direct-experience with the Badger Blackout.  However, you can rest-assured the company makes quality products.  They have an ironclad warranty, and the reviews are mostly 5-star.  For $67 USD, it's hard to go wrong.  I own two of their folders, and I am planning on buying a third.  The owner sources the best-materials he can find, and does the design-work.     

"Those who do evil to others:  the killers, the rapists, psychos, sadists.  Will come to know me well.  Frank Castle is dead!  Call me . . . The Punisher."

"Out of the night comes a man who saves lives at the risk of his own:
Once a circus performer, an aerialist who refused the net...
Once a cat burglar, a master among jewel thieves...
And now, a professional bodyguard - primitive, savage, in love with danger."  - T.H.E CAT

us Offline eTripper

• No Life Club
Reply #12962 on: March 20, 2021, 05:02:55 AM
The Cold Steel Spartan made-the-cut, for today's lift:

"Those who do evil to others:  the killers, the rapists, psychos, sadists.  Will come to know me well.  Frank Castle is dead!  Call me . . . The Punisher."

And now, a professional bodyguard - primitive, savage, in love with danger."  - T.H.E CAT

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #12963 on: March 21, 2021, 05:01:25 AM
I've heard that Off Grid blades are made in both China, and Taiwan [We Knives, and Bestech].  I have no direct-experience with the Badger Blackout.  However, you can rest-assured the company makes quality products.  They have an ironclad warranty, and the reviews are mostly 5-star.  For $67 USD, it's hard to go wrong.  I own two of their folders, and I am planning on buying a third.  The owner sources the best-materials he can find, and does the design-work.     

Thanks so much for weighing in. They seem like quite a good outfit, but it always helps to hear from a customer. $67 seems a right price and I like the stoutness of it, though it’s a little rounder in the handle than I’m used to. But a rugged little knife.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 05:14:07 AM by SgtTowser »

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #12964 on: March 21, 2021, 05:09:22 AM
The Cold Steel Spartan made-the-cut, for today's lift:

I admire the simple clean-ness of that lanyard knot on your Spartan very much. I only know a snake knot. That seems a spiral coil of some kind. Might you tell me the knot name and refer me to a link that shows how to tie it?  Thanks in advance and I will try to be less of a pest moving forward.

us Offline eTripper

• No Life Club
Reply #12965 on: March 21, 2021, 08:19:05 AM
It's no bother, I'm happy; to help anyone on the forum.  I use the Chinese 'snake knot' for most of my lanyards, because its the easiest to use, and untie.  This one is the most-simple variant.  I am posting a link to a tutorial for this knot.  You'll be a master within a half-hour.  Paracord Planet is where I buy most of my stock.  Used "Typhoon" on my Spartan. https://www.paracordplanet.com/   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrzE-QnzuOM

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12966 on: March 21, 2021, 12:52:35 PM
 :like: :hatsoff: :tu:

au Offline Valkie

Reply #12967 on: March 21, 2021, 11:26:02 PM
With the ongoing and prolific rains we are having on the east coast of Australia at the moment.

And with the flooding in the areas around me.

Does anyone know of a SAK with a paddle or better still a boat attachment?
tools is what defines us as humans

us Offline eTripper

• No Life Club
Reply #12968 on: March 22, 2021, 12:21:51 AM
Went with a 'big-un' today.  Another Cold Steel, the 4 Max.  Perfect-day for taking snaps:

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
  • Hardwood sawyer, and follower of Jesus Christ
Reply #12969 on: March 22, 2021, 04:33:14 AM
With the ongoing and prolific rains we are having on the east coast of Australia at the moment.

They do make canoe knives.....
This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

au Online Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #12970 on: March 22, 2021, 04:41:55 AM

Pretty bad isn’t it Valkie, I’m in Sydney but away from the worst of it. I spend a lot of time around the Hawkesbury and really feel for my friends there. Hope you’re not affected

Best (worst?) I can come up with is this

au Offline sak60

• No Life Club
Reply #12971 on: March 22, 2021, 08:46:06 AM

Hope you can stay as unaffected as possible.
I’m in Bris. Wet but nothing like down south. ATB.
Andrew

us Offline eTripper

• No Life Club
Reply #12972 on: March 24, 2021, 12:07:01 AM

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12973 on: March 24, 2021, 08:49:30 PM

:hatsoff:

us Offline eTripper

• No Life Club
Reply #12974 on: March 25, 2021, 12:24:17 AM

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #12975 on: March 25, 2021, 01:07:50 AM
Hey guys, just wanted to give you a heads up, I am having a an Auctioneer eBay event where I'm specially involving our MTO members, and there are some folding knives available on my eBay store. Help spread the word....

:hatsoff:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,87008.0.html
This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #12976 on: March 25, 2021, 07:58:15 AM
It's no bother, I'm happy; to help anyone on the forum.  I use the Chinese 'snake knot' for most of my lanyards, because its the easiest to use, and untie.  This one is the most-simple variant.  I am posting a link to a tutorial for this knot.  You'll be a master within a half-hour.  Paracord Planet is where I buy most of my stock.  Used "Typhoon" on my Spartan. https://www.paracordplanet.com/   
Many thanks, e tripper! I will be on it tomorrow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrzE-QnzuOM

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #12977 on: March 25, 2021, 10:19:04 AM
CRKT Ruger Hollow-Point +P backed by my trusty PacSafe waist pack that is my default tool box, if my Vic Cybertool L and and Wenger S557 cannot resolve an issue. I can even survive from my waist pack for two days, if I have to.

About the RUGER: it’s an Onion design that me and no one else in the world loves. Despite having been released as a $29.95 Walmart special, while smaller versions of it were weirdly priced ten, or $20 more, the “BIG P” may have been Onion’s first ball bearing flipper. People, even fans of Onion, treated it like the Pontiac Aztec of flippers. I absolutely love the thing. It deploys perfectly everytime.  They hated his design vocabulary alluding to a traditional appearing to have been smashed flat  by being run over by a steam roller. But to me it’s everything audacious and uniquely American about American design in a post modern vernacular. Flat out find it idiosyncratically beautiful the way I find Michael Graves appliance designs also. Plus I speak a tiny bit of Marine, having been raised by one, and Marines have long alternated between a lean, strictly business asthetic in their basic weapons and work clothes on duty, to an over the top audacity and excess in their leisure time and when they broke rank for some R&R thirsting for some individualized relief from the drilling into teamwork for killing enemy and taking real estate . Everytime I pick it up I can feel a little of my father off duty prowling Honolulu bars at night back before it was clear the tide of WWII would turn in favor of freedom, voting, and
some off duty excess. No one wore a flower shirt quite the swagger he did. If he didn’t get the blade out in time, he would have used it as a roll of quarters to throw the last punch. I only wish the Ruger logo in relief on one  scale was a profile of Diamond Head and on plain scale there was a relief of Suribatchi. If you see this, Ken, I love the potpourri of surfacing! So: No one but you and me, Ken, love the Big P? Well as my father used to say: F$&@!’em all, the long and the short and the tall, and see you on the other side pal.

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #12978 on: March 25, 2021, 07:28:59 PM
P.S.: That is my ETripper-mentored green Snake knot lanyard. Old dogs can learn new tricks!  Thanks for the  knot tying link, E trip! Photo composition is an homage!

us Offline eTripper

• No Life Club
Reply #12979 on: March 25, 2021, 08:04:54 PM
Beautiful, Sarge!  :tu:  Now your rockin'.  Looks great, from an old Vietnam squid.  Nice choice for the paracord, matches the retro-look of the blade.  Went with one of the 'big-uns' for my usual-carry.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 08:10:02 PM by eTripper »

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #12980 on: March 25, 2021, 08:43:08 PM
👍

Vietnam...I talk to teenagers about being the son of a WWII vet and they look at me like I am a son of a Civil War veteran. 😂

Do teenagers know about Vietnam today, or is Vietnam all paved over with Mideast war memory?

Whatever you did over there, thank you, you weren’t paid enough, and I hope you came back whole, or with enough pieces left to enjoy the rest of the ride.

Your knife collection is truly impressive.

:salute:

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #12981 on: March 26, 2021, 07:21:31 AM
This, which came in the mail today.

:mail:  :woohoo:

Has a little blade damage, but it's a nifty and a fairly rare piece evidently. Only one other on eBay that I can see. I test drove it today, and threw it on the Bay tonight. See the auction thread.  :D

br Offline Hevy (CT-782)

• No Life Club
Reply #12982 on: March 26, 2021, 01:50:49 PM
The Kershaw Shuffle is my day to day knife. I really like this one.
But this week I'm carrying also this small Y-Start. Enjoying It a lot!

Enviado de meu moto g(6) usando o Tapatalk

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #12983 on: March 26, 2021, 01:59:10 PM
The Kershaw Shuffle is my day to day knife. I really like this one.
But this week I'm carrying also this small Y-Start. Enjoying It a lot!

First time I've heard of Y-Start. Interesting.

br Offline Hevy (CT-782)

• No Life Club
Reply #12984 on: March 26, 2021, 02:56:42 PM
It's a nice small flipper. It even have ball bearings. Fits nice on watch pocket.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #12985 on: March 26, 2021, 08:51:39 PM

CRKT Ruger Hollow-Point +P backed by my trusty PacSafe waist pack that is my default tool box, if my Vic Cybertool L and and Wenger S557 cannot resolve an issue. I can even survive from my waist pack for two days, if I have to.

About the RUGER: it’s an Onion design that me and no one else in the world loves. Despite having been released as a $29.95 Walmart special, while smaller versions of it were weirdly priced ten, or $20 more, the “BIG P” may have been Onion’s first ball bearing flipper. People, even fans of Onion, treated it like the Pontiac Aztec of flippers. I absolutely love the thing. It deploys perfectly everytime.  They hated his design vocabulary alluding to a traditional appearing to have been smashed flat  by being run over by a steam roller. But to me it’s everything audacious and uniquely American about American design in a post modern vernacular. Flat out find it idiosyncratically beautiful the way I find Michael Graves appliance designs also. Plus I speak a tiny bit of Marine, having been raised by one, and Marines have long alternated between a lean, strictly business asthetic in their basic weapons and work clothes on duty, to an over the top audacity and excess in their leisure time and when they broke rank for some R&R thirsting for some individualized relief from the drilling into teamwork for killing enemy and taking real estate . Everytime I pick it up I can feel a little of my father off duty prowling Honolulu bars at night back before it was clear the tide of WWII would turn in favor of freedom, voting, and
some off duty excess. No one wore a flower shirt quite the swagger he did. If he didn’t get the blade out in time, he would have used it as a roll of quarters to throw the last punch. I only wish the Ruger logo in relief on one  scale was a profile of Diamond Head and on plain scale there was a relief of Suribatchi. If you see this, Ken, I love the potpourri of surfacing! So: No one but you and me, Ken, love the Big P? Well as my father used to say: F$&@!’em all, the long and the short and the tall, and see you on the other side pal.
[/quote]

I admit, I like it. Ruger on their gear website, has the entire CRKT lineup which they still have marked down considerably. The Hollow Point is on my shortlist, but the two fixed blades and the large hunting folder are the ones I really want.

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #12986 on: March 26, 2021, 09:02:03 PM
Thanks, I will take a look.

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #12987 on: March 26, 2021, 09:06:34 PM
First time I've heard of Y-Start. Interesting.

Y-Start  new to me also. Seems based on a high end folder from Italian tactical knife maker Extrema Ratio and another from Serge Pachenko. I have admired the look, but probably not for lefties.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 09:14:02 PM by SgtTowser »

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #12988 on: March 26, 2021, 10:58:34 PM
That littleY-Start is apparently for sale at DHgate.com for $16.71.

I have no experience with that site, however.

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #12989 on: March 27, 2021, 03:51:31 AM
I carried 5 or so SAK's, which is moderate for me, and the Winframe tool and a little no name folder, and my 7 oz. Husky, which I have for sale, but I wouldn't mind keeping.
IMG_20210326_223440930.jpg
* IMG_20210326_223440930.jpg (Filesize: 481.26 KB)
IMG_20210326_223654699.jpg
* IMG_20210326_223654699.jpg (Filesize: 478.82 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%