Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swisstools/multitools data and info

AxelF · 11 · 2585

Offline AxelF

Swisstools/multitools data and info
on: May 18, 2009, 03:07:32 PM
Hi everyone.I need some info on the saks.

1.Where can i find some detailed technical data about the swisstools and any other multitool,like the maximum pressure the pliers can withstand,what kind of steel are they using,blade lenght,etc. (BESIDES the sakselector link)

2.How can i be sure that any sak i'm going to buy,is the real deal,not a knock-off ?

At the bottom of my swisschamp blade is engraved:"VICTORINOX/SWISSMADE/STAINLESS" on one side and "OFFICER SUISSE" on the other.
  I saw in a bunch of photos tha some saks have an emblem engraved at the bottom.

3.Can you provide some online-shops links where i can find the whole range of saks,multitools,and not just Victorinox,maybe some leatherman as well ?

4.Someone please explain the whole range of swisstools,the rs,cs,x,spirit x,etc... I found a bit of information here,some there and it's confusing.

Thanks.

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Re: Swisstools/multitools data and info
Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 03:44:36 PM
Hello,

I would suggest doing some searched on this forum for some of the info apart from that https://wiki.multitool.org/tiki-index.php is a good place to look :)

Techinical data is a bit scare on multitools as companies are not in the practice of releasing the info and not many people are willing to buy a bunch of tools and then torture test them to failure to get data :-\ Blade lengths and steel composition should be findable with a bit of judicious searching :)

https://wiki.multitool.org/tiki-index.php?page=SwissTool has info on the variations of the Swisstool.

Shops:
http://www.eleatherman.com/
http://www.felinevet.sosakonline.com/
http://www.edcdepot.com/

Also check out the reviews on the main site www.multitool.org for more info on specific multitools.

Someone should be along to help you with your SAK queries shortly :)

Hope some of this helps
Roadie
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 03:52:00 PM
Don't worry about the blade stamps, they were changes a few years back.  The newer ones (like you have) don't have the Swiss Crossbow on them anymore (everyone thought it was an umbrella).

This page shows all the blade markings that have been used.  http://www.e-webtechnologies.com/sak/Victorinox_Stampings___Trademarks_-_Update_12FEB08.pdf

Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 04:13:50 PM
Hi everyone.I need some info on the saks.

1.Where can i find some detailed technical data about the swisstools and any other multitool,like the maximum pressure the pliers can withstand,what kind of steel are they using,blade lenght,etc. (BESIDES the sakselector link)

2.How can i be sure that any sak i'm going to buy,is the real deal,not a knock-off ?

At the bottom of my swisschamp blade is engraved:"VICTORINOX/SWISSMADE/STAINLESS" on one side and "OFFICER SUISSE" on the other.
  I saw in a bunch of photos tha some saks have an emblem engraved at the bottom.

3.Can you provide some online-shops links where i can find the whole range of saks,multitools,and not just Victorinox,maybe some leatherman as well ?

4.Someone please explain the whole range of swisstools,the rs,cs,x,spirit x,etc... I found a bit of information here,some there and it's confusing.

Thanks.

Any of the banner advertisers here can be trusted with any purchases you may want to make, and they will generally have competitive if not the best pricing around.

As for the difference in SwissTools and Spirits, there are three models of each.  The Spirit comes in standard, S and X varieties, and the SwissTool is available in standard, RS and X varieties. 

The Spirits all have the same tools, with a couple of exceptions that differentiate the models.

The Standard has a sheepsfoot, 80% serrated blade and scissors.
The S has a sheepsfoot 80% serrated blade and a more standard SAK style drop point, plain edged blade instead of the scissors.
The X has a SAK style drop point blade and scissors.

This is the Standard, S and X models.

All of the other implements are the same.

The SwissTool is somewhat larger and heavier than the Spirit.

Like the Spirit, the three models feature most of the same tools with only a couple of variations to differentiate them.

The Standard SwissTool has a plain blade and a serrated blade, both SAK style drop points.
The X model has scissors and a plain blade.
The RS model has scissors, a plain blade and replaces the metal saw/file with a serrated rescue blade.

You will also occasionally see reference to the SwissTool CS Plus, but this is just a SwissTool RS with some extra stuff in the sheath.  The tool itself is no different.

As for what kind of pressure the head can take, I'd say more than your hands can put on it. 

The best places to look for SAK info are:

www.SOSAKOnline.com
www.Multitool.org
www.SAKWiki.com
The Multitool Encyclopedia

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline AxelF

Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 04:50:19 PM
Thanks a lot Grant and the others.

Is the black coating on the spirit,scratch resistant?

Offline Abstraction

Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 05:08:35 PM
It's pretty scratch resistant, i've had mine in my bag for over a year and it gets used a hell of a lot, it gets dull looking feint scratches on it all the time but they rub straight off with a cloth, apart from that the only places the black has worn away are the knife blades from sharpening and the screwdriver head.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 08:18:23 PM
So Axel have you decided on which model yet ? Which ever one you choose it will give you years of service .

Dunc

Offline AxelF

Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 08:39:03 PM
So Axel have you decided on which model yet ? Which ever one you choose it will give you years of service .

Oh ,if only it was that easy. :) I think i'll go with the spirit S,two blade are better than one,and i'll get a super tinker or rambler or executive for the scissors.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 09:04:56 PM

Oh ,if only it was that easy. :) I think i'll go with the spirit S,two blade are better than one,and i'll get a super tinker or rambler or executive for the scissors.

Sounds a sensible choice  :salute: Are you going for Black oxide or silver

Dunc

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 09:55:59 PM
I don't think you will be sorry with a Spirit . An S would be a very good choice . Swisstools are also nice , but are more for bag carry than belt mounted EDC . Pairing a Spirit with a suitable SAK is a much followed pattern around here . Who you would choose to buy from depends a lot on your geographical location . Felinevet is a great guy to deal with , and has some very good buys . Check out the various stickied threads at the top of the page , lots of good info . Dont be put of by snide remarks about the "butterknife" blade on the Spirit , it's actually extremely usefull in a working enviroment .

Above  all else , enjoy your Spirit .

Chris

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 07:45:31 AM
I don't think you will be sorry with a Spirit . An S would be a very good choice . Swisstools are also nice , but are more for bag carry than belt mounted EDC . Pairing a Spirit with a suitable SAK is a much followed pattern around here . Who you would choose to buy from depends a lot on your geographical location . Felinevet is a great guy to deal with , and has some very good buys . Check out the various stickied threads at the top of the page , lots of good info . Dont be put of by snide remarks about the "butterknife" blade on the Spirit , it's actually extremely usefull in a working enviroment .

Above  all else , enjoy your Spirit .

Chris

You've summed that up well my friend  :salute:

Dunc

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85