Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

LM Juice S2... red or dead?!

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
LM Juice S2... red or dead?!
on: May 20, 2009, 02:16:37 PM
I just received a lovely RED Juice S2... yes RED!
I'm not really an orange kinda girl so when I saw the S2 was available in red I got a little bit overexcited :D
Some good buddies of mine in the US sent it over as a gift so it's even more special to me, however the little shiny is not a perfect entity... and here goes my first review for MTO.

Let's talk packaging Leatherman, what's up with that?! Do we really need a ginormous blister pack in these ecologically sound times? I think not personally, and even given the size of the great big tin in the package, it was still utterly OTT. The tin however, is probably going to be useful so I forgive them this faux pas.

So, after hacking my way through the plastic to get to the tool my first impression was that it was a nice size and weight. It's 3.25"/8cm and 4.4oz/125g so much smaller and lighter than all the big plier based tools. Shown here compared to the chunky 6 layer SAK Craftsman, you can see it's a fair bit smaller. It is comfy in the hand and the anodised Alu is nice feeling and looking. Weight wise, it would probably compare to around a 4 layer SAK so depending on what your tool needs are, it may not have the most tools for it's size. It certainly doesn't have the most bang for your buck tool selection wise.

If however, your needs are a fairly decent plier then you would probably take the S2 over the cute but smaller SAK style pliers. The plier head has the needlenose/regular combo, with wire and hard-wire cutters. They feel sturdy and the grip is good except if you have wet hands - you will probably find your hand sliding down towards to head. Apart from that, they are quite comfortable for a small tool. Out of the box, the plier joint is quite stiff which is probably a good thing as it will loosen up with time I suspect. I wouldn't trust them for any serious heavy duty work.

Now to the screwdrivers: The phillips is pretty decent; nicely squared off at the end and clicks open with a very strong reassuring snap. Here it is next to a SAK phillips, slightly smaller but a chunky little tool. The slim nature of the tool body means you get a decent reach with it too.

The flatheads are of a similar quality - perhaps 3 is one too many but they are of a good size range and so will probably come in handy. I measured them at around 6mm, 3.5mm and 1.5mm, all with nicely squared heads. They are really difficult to get out though, breaking nails along the way! I hope this will loosen up eventually.

The scissors are not the best feature of this tool, in fact, they let it down IMO. The spring lever bit only opens to a small aperture so if you want a decent open cutting width you have to do it manually. The rivet has far too much play in it which may just be my model but makes them feel a bit flimsy. The cutting edges are actually good when you overcome these shortcomings but the pale in comparison to Charge or SAK scissors. You also have to open the bottle/can opener first to get at them which is a bit of a faff. They don't snap open or close very nicely either, needing to be pushed firmly all the way back in which is a let down.

As for the aforementioned opener, it seems capable of the jobs it's designed for. It doesn't have any sharp edges on it which might not make it the best can opener out there - an easy mod to sharpen the thing if necessary (or simply for devilment).

Finally we have the main blade. It's an odd looking clip point with a rounded back to match the outer profile of the tool but came out of the box pretty sharp. It's quoted as being 420HC steel so not the best out there but certainly not the worst. I have yet to see what kind of edge it holds after a bit of EDC abuse >:D
The cutting edge is about 58mm so well under legal carry length for us poor souls in the UK and it snaps open pretty nicely without any obvious play.

Just a mention on the closed up package now; it doesn't sit evenly as one side is thicker then the other. The scissors and opener side require more space then the blade side so the profile is not flush. This is a small but irritating niggle as this is how it will ride in my pocket. Why didn't they throw a saw or serrated blade on the other side to balance it out? I honestly can't see a reason why not. You may just about be able to see what I mean below:

The S2 also has one of those much debated lanyard rings tucked away next to the phillips - I actually like this feature as I often hang tools in my pocket but I know it's a contentious subject!

So that's the S2 from my viewpoint. Overall, it breaks down like this:

PROS:
Small handy EDC package
Good bit tools
Useful compact pliers
Mine is RED! (which matches my hair :D)

CONS:
Lousy scissor set up
Stiff nailbreaking bits
Uneven width on handles
Spendy

Would I recommend it? Yes if the tool compliment is exactly what you need. If you can live without the scissors then I think the old KF4 model would be a far superior purchase - sadly discontinued much to the lament of LM fans everywhere. Overall, I give the S2 a 7 out of 10.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 02:24:20 PM by nuphoria »
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Re: LM Juice S2... red or dead?!
Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 02:41:42 PM
Excellent review!

Good photos too.

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 03:39:01 PM
It does look good in red :D

Nice review, you should do some more  :tu:
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 04:16:58 PM
Love that Red!  I have the Storm Grey and love the compactness and weight of it.  I was just commenting via another thread on mine the one end of it looks really sloppy the way it's been riveted together because of all the tools and metal they've crammed into it.  How's does yours look nice and straight?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 04:53:30 PM
Great read Nu. :tu:  Having seen and played with various Juice models I think I agree with everything you've said.  I'd be more tempted to get one if it wasn't for the fact they cost so much and I have no money.  ::) :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 05:19:05 PM
Love that Red!  I have the Storm Grey and love the compactness and weight of it.  I was just commenting via another thread on mine the one end of it looks really sloppy the way it's been riveted together because of all the tools and metal they've crammed into it.  How's does yours look nice and straight?

Not sure what you mean by straight but my rivets seem to look OK. Perhaps it's a QC issue, which may also account for my sloppy scissors!

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 06:00:01 PM
Great review! :tu: :tu: :tu:
Makes waiting for my Juice even more painfull  :(
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 06:56:03 PM
Great review lassie, you've certainly got a talent for it :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 07:32:49 PM
Great review and pics, i love my orange s2 but i guess mine suffers the same problems that yours specialy the scissors department, i dont know if it is a QC issue cuz the scissors of my pro opens a bit widther :think:
05202009250.jpg
* 05202009250.jpg (Filesize: 112.83 KB)
A

Offline Wetdog

Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 01:15:00 AM
The S2 is a solid little tool.  I've often wondered if the sides would be even if they lost the bottle opener.  Can/bottle openers are the least used tools on my MTs - I could do without them.  The S2 minus the opener would be perfect.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 04:12:17 PM
The S2 is a solid little tool.  I've often wondered if the sides would be even if they lost the bottle opener.  Can/bottle openers are the least used tools on my MTs - I could do without them.  The S2 minus the opener would be perfect.

Yeah, I'm with you on that one. I could happily live without the opener on it and it would make it even. It seems like an afterthough on LMs part - quick, cram an opener in where it doesn't fit!

Thanks for the replies chaps... I can assure you that review writing is a lot more fun than a 10k word dissertation on ATM gene methylation in Hodgkins lymphoma. I think I stopped writing after that :)

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 04:46:50 PM

Yeah, I'm with you on that one. I could happily live without the opener on it and it would make it even. It seems like an afterthough on LMs part - quick, cram an opener in where it doesn't fit!

Thanks for the replies chaps... I can assure you that review writing is a lot more fun than a 10k word dissertation on ATM gene methylation in Hodgkins lymphoma. I think I stopped writing after that :)

Hijack:

So, is Hodgkins Lymphoma a B cell tumor or not?

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 21, 2009, 07:46:53 PM
It's a very fair and accurate review, and while the Juice does have some flaws, I still like it.
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: May 21, 2009, 07:54:39 PM
Quote from: Mr. Whippy link=topic=11216.msg208082#msg208082 date=1242917210

Hijack:

So, is Hodgkins Lymphoma a B cell tumor or not?
[/quote

In all probability, yes. Although I finished researching this topic a couple of years ago so there may be newer papers available giving a definitive answer. The cells I was working with were almost definitely mutated B cells... and I had to laser cut 100's of the little bast*rds out of tissue samples locked in a small room going crazy  :ahhh

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: May 22, 2009, 04:40:24 AM
Great writeup girl :cheers: I have been checking out the S2 lately and I may hold off on it for a while yet but someday I will have one :) Great pics as well :tu:

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #15 on: May 24, 2009, 04:50:34 AM
Great review Nuphoria - and I'm jealous, because I don't have a red S2 :(
I used to come here a lot.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #16 on: May 24, 2009, 05:39:45 AM

Let's talk packaging Leatherman, what's up with that?! Do we really need a ginormous blister pack in these ecologically sound times? I think not personally, and even given the size of the great big tin in the package, it was still utterly OTT. The tin however, is probably going to be useful so I forgive them this faux pas.

It's to prevent shoplifting, you can tuck a big blister pack in your pocket. Leatherman offer both blister pack and cardboard box packaging and retailers decide which to order. Big box store tend to buy blister, while the smaller stores that keep stuff behind locked counter tend to order box.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #17 on: May 24, 2009, 11:59:50 AM

Lassie??  :D

I agree, top job.  :tu:
I'm back!!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #18 on: May 24, 2009, 12:59:16 PM

Lassie??  :D

I agree, top job.  :tu:
As in the Scottish for lady :), not a dog you naughty sod :twak:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #19 on: May 24, 2009, 01:25:05 PM
Are you scottish?  No.  So don't be rude.  :P :D
I'm back!!

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: May 24, 2009, 01:50:49 PM

It's to prevent shoplifting, you can tuck a big blister pack in your pocket. Leatherman offer both blister pack and cardboard box packaging and retailers decide which to order. Big box store tend to buy blister, while the smaller stores that keep stuff behind locked counter tend to order box.

Thanks, did not know that. Was a little confused why I saw them blistered and boxed.
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #21 on: May 24, 2009, 01:52:27 PM

Now that makes sense. :tu:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: May 24, 2009, 04:31:35 PM
Great write-up and pictures Nuphoria! :tu: Personally I get along with the Juice scissors better than most others. Do have to agree with you about the poor quality can opener though.

Ageed. Other than those I've ordered over the internet, every multitool or SAK I've ever seen for sale has been in a big gawdy blister pack: :-\

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #23 on: May 24, 2009, 04:41:30 PM
Nice one Nuphy  :tu: :tu: :D

Now how about a Paratool review with some Blackie Collins sheath pics  :pok: :pok: :pok: :D :D
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 04:58:21 PM by MultiMat »

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #25 on: May 24, 2009, 06:41:22 PM
I still think that pic is funny.

Leatherman Leatherman Leatherman Leatherman Leatherman Leatherman Leatherman Leatherman Leatherman Leatherman Leatherman Leatherman Leatherman Leatherman Leatherman Leatherman Leatherman Leatherman Leatherman Leatherman Leatherman BUCK.

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: May 24, 2009, 09:12:15 PM
Nice, MT heaven. Can not even think of a store like that here, unbelievable!
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

gb Offline nuphoria

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: May 24, 2009, 11:35:38 PM
OK, I'll try and get my finger out later this week and write another review or two  ::)

I do have other things to do you know... honestly... and pretty soon I'll have to buy new tools to review and it will be all your fault  :pok:

PS: Dave, I'm quite excited that I have something made by LM that you don't. That AND a BO Charge Ti... you wanna trade for millions of pounds? :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24