Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Skeletool

Woz · 13 · 3247

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Leatherman Skeletool
on: May 20, 2009, 09:50:17 AM
I love my Spirit, but it is just too bulky and heavy to EDC it in my pocekt or on my belt. I carry it in my bag, so I wanted a light tool to carry when I´m without my bag. I searched the net, but did not find many tools that would fit my bill.
MT.org introduced me the Juice line, the CRKT Zilla, Minitool and Skeletool - but for the LM tools are WAY too expensive here I decided to wait. Then Amazon offered the Skeletool for as low as 57 Bucks (44 Euro at this time) I decided to go for it - still expensive compared to the US, bt a great deal here!

So my Skeletool joined my "League of EDC".

When it arrived I first thought: Oh, not too small for a small tool. I just imagined it being much smaller. In fact the Skeletool is about the sized of my Spirit and not even really thinner. But lighter and with the pocket clip convenient to carry in cargo pants. Still, too large too carry it when wearing jeans, it does not feel comfortable then.

Let´s have a closer look on the tools

The main tool is the pliers. They are small, considering the overall size of the tool maybe too small, and thin, but I guess they are strong enough to handle most EDC and medium duty tasks. Wire cutters and hard wire cutters are included and just work fine. For the pliers are the most important tool on a MT in my opinion they fit my bill. The handles look interesting, but do not feel good in my hands. There is just no way to make them feel comfortable.

Next: The blade

One hand opening, locking blades in a functional blade style. Nice. Easy to sharpen for it is quite soft steel. BUT
The blade does not keep an edge. I collect knives, but I have not seen many blades keeping an edge that lousy. 420 HC may not be the worst steel there is, but it is definitely not the best. I sharpened the blade on my Sharpmaker, it gets very sharp, very fast, but it does not keep the edge. Having the normal retail prices here in mind (not the MRSP, here called UVP, but the street prices) I can not understand why they did not use better steel - but I know there are some people who prefer softer steel for it is easier to sharpen, and there is the improved (but VERY expensive here) CX version offering a good blade steel, so it´s my own fault. Still, I´m not happy with that blade and therefore not using it. It´s too short too, seeing the size of the handles.

Anyways, there are more tools to mention.
There are no screwdrivers, but there is a locking bitdriver. And there are two doublesided bits, so the Skeletools offers two flathead and two Phillips screwdrivers. I do not really like the flat Phillips bits, they just look strange, but they work very well. The bitdriver is a great addition to the tool, and even if it only takes special LM bits it´s very versatile. Bit kits are not cheap, but can be found on sale sometimes.

The last tool is the carabiner. it double functions as a bottle opener, that works really well. The carabiner might be usefull to backpackers or people in need of this mounting option, but it is useless to me and just makes the tool larger.

Conclusion:
I would not buy that tool again. It´s just too limited for i´ts size. I know, it is supposed to be minimalist, but for it´s size there could be more tools - or the tool could be smaller. I have ordered a Juice to replace it as my pocket EDC and think I will give the Zilla Jr. a try too (this forums make me spend money  ::) ) for they seem to be better tools for what I want.
I carried the Skeletool for about 8 months, backed up by a good pocket knife and a SAK most of the time. In combination with a Cadet that adds some tools in a small package the Skeletool is OK for most EDC tasks, without any additional SAK or other tools (Squirt S4 for scissors etc) the Skeletool is just a pair of light duty pliers in oversized handles.

Pros:

Weight
pocket clip!
pliers work fine
nice techno look
bit driver

Cons:
Size
poor tool selection
blade
price

Will I recommend the tool? Maybe, for I know some of the negaitve points I experienced might be an advantage to others. One who just needs pliers and likes softer blade steel will be happy. One who likes the carabiner mounting option will be pleased. The Skeletool is definitely not bad, it´s just the wrong tool for me. Think I will present it to my brother once my Juice arrived, or store it in my car.
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

Offline Tinnie

• No Life Club
  • I hate Velcro!
Re: Leatherman Skeletool
Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 09:57:30 AM
Nice review of the tool mate :tu:

[

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 10:02:52 AM
You raise some good points . The best thing about the Skeletool is the build quality .

Dunc

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 12:37:32 PM
Nice review Woz. I agree about Skely's size vs functions argument, although I believe any smaller would force LM to compromise either the plier head size or the bit driver. Wrt the carabiner, I've always found it a better carry option vs the pocket clip (used like this). As far as the handles are concerned, I've found that leaving the flathead bits stored in the handle and having the phillips #2 in the driver makes it a bit more comfortable.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 02:50:15 PM
Nice review. Excellent pics.

I have a different opinion of the Skeletool, but I think you make a strong case for your opinions.  Really useful for those critically evaluating a tool.  :salute:

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 04:25:44 PM
Nice review and pic'.  I picked up the cx model here a little over a month ago with intentions of making it an everyday carry alot more than it sees.  There is one main reason I don't and I am not sure if this is bothersome to anyone else but it's the end of the blade when closed is very irritating.  Once clipped inside the pocket whenever you stick your hands inside the pocket your hand  rub's the edge of the closed blade (irritating) and there really isn't anyway around this that I can see?  It cannot be filed over smooth then it won't lock up against  the liner lock when opened.  Sounds perhaps like I'm complaining but it's a real problem for me.

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 04:42:44 PM
Don't use the clip. Use the biner instead. :pok:

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 04:52:02 PM
Don't use the clip. Use the biner instead. :pok:

I guess that's another option but I like it clipped inside my pants flat, easy in and out and have tried the 'biner and it doesn't work for me all that well.  :(  But anyhow maybe if I keep my hands out of my pockets more I wouldn't have anthing to complain about.  :D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 05:20:15 PM
Nice write-up Woz.  I had exactly the same reaction to the Skeletool.  It was one tool that I really wanted to like, but when I got my hands on one it felt both to big (when folded) and too small (pliers and blade are both a lot smaller than they looked like on the computer screen).  I will say that I thought it was extremely well put together though.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 05:57:14 PM
I agree, the build quality is very good. It was a little hard to open the blade one handed out of the box, but this is easy adjustable. No blade play, wire cutters cut paper, nice! I really hope to find the same quality on my Juice!
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 09:54:16 PM
nice review Woz :tu: for me the juice s2 have a better size/weight/funtion radio :)
A

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: May 22, 2009, 04:45:31 AM
Great review Woz :tu: Personally I like the Skeley but you have a good argument on some of it's weaker points ;) I think I will end up with the Cx when they change it to a PE blade and then I can have the better blade :tu: Nice pics as well :)

Offline wim3000

Reply #12 on: May 25, 2009, 08:59:36 PM
Hi, nice review indeed, I'm carrying the CX-version since a few weeks now, and I really like it. Mostly I use the sideclip, but sometimes the carabiner is very handy as well. OK, there aren't al lot of tools in it, but it works for me. :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%