Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How to buy a Kindle outside the US.

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
How to buy a Kindle outside the US.
on: May 29, 2009, 04:54:01 PM
I and another fellow European member was chatting some days ago and we started talking about how much it sucks that we in Europe can’t buy a Kindle, sure getting a Kindle would not be a problem since we have great friends in the US that would help us out, but then the problem is getting stuff to read on the Kindle. So I was checking out one of the online papers in Norway when I saw a guide how to get the kindle and buy books for it.

So behold my fellow readers outside the US of A.
http://alfhenning.com/?p=124

Kenneth.
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Re: How to buy a Kindle outside the US.
Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 07:23:29 PM
it's been tempting as a geek to get one... but I still think they're a bit on the pricey range... I think I'd rather get my hands on a 10inch netbook.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 10:10:43 PM
Thanks Dude, but it still lacks the Kindles imho best feature - Newspaper and magazine wireless delivery! I love the idea of getting my paper wireless on my reader, take it in the morning and just start reading - no workaround makes the Kindle as convenient as it is for US customers. Hope Amazon gets the DX over here soon, otherwise I´ll have to get a competing device.

edc-reviews.blogspot.com

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 10:54:22 PM
I use my SmartPhone and a program/service called AvantGo.  I've been using AvantGo since my first PDA several years ago.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline appletree_man

Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 11:35:47 AM
I go all disapproving of these, I love real books  :)
T

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 01:23:30 AM
I go all disapproving of these, I love real books

Damn right.

Let me know how great your smartphone is when you're lost in a strange uncivilised place with no toilet paper.

For someone who carries a multitool, I still prefer to have my Phone, my Camera, and my Laptop and three wholly separate devices.

(For what it's worth, I also still use cabled mouses & keyboards.)

I think it has something to do with my childhood, and touch screens being spectacularly unreliable at that time.

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 08:06:15 AM
I love tech gadgets. My iPhone is my calender/PDA/iPod/Netbook/Gaming device (and lots more), and may even be my camera if it had a better one - I even tried to read e-books on it, but way too small screen. I like books too, but I love the idea to carry hundreds of books, newspapers, magazines and pdf´s on one small lightweight device. That´s why I would buy the Kindle, or a well made other brand reader (gimme an Apple one  :tu:) as soon as I see it being available even if it was a little more expensive than in the USA (a little - taxes are higher here).

edc-reviews.blogspot.com

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 09:03:43 AM
I go all disapproving of these, I love real books  :)

The only thing that I am skeptical of is how it is to read on, they say it’s like reading a real book but I’m still skeptical. And how much abuse can it take before it’s broken, if I drop a good old fashioned book the only worry that I have is if I can fid the page I was on, but with a Kindle the screen might brake or God knows what else. If a book get’s wet then you dry it and it’s al fine, but if the Kindle get’s wet you don’t know if it will work or not. That’s the only thing I’m concerned with.

But I also love the idea of having hundreds of books available in just one place, getting your newspaper wireless, don’t need to wait for the paper boy to deliver a newspaper that might be wet or he is late.

But I also love reading a good old fashioned book, I love to se my books in the bookshelf. Love the smell of a new book when you open it.

I live in a country where books that I like to read are a pain in the behind to get a hold of, and if I first find one then it’s damned expensive and overpriced since they hardly sell any. But I do order books of the net and the only thing that bugs me there is that I have to wait for it to arrive.

Reading tablets are the future, just look at Star Trek, think how much money a school will be able to save if every child that is starting school gets a Kindle in the first grade, obsolete books would no longer be a problem in the schools system since it will be updated all the time.

I will stay quiet now.
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%