Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

compasses and Gerber

FredKJ · 18 · 3140

Offline FredKJ

compasses and Gerber
on: May 29, 2009, 09:39:28 PM
Since I am revisiting this forum and saw the thread on whistles I thought I'd put my 2 cents worth in on compasses.  The three main manufacturers of protractor orienteering compasses are Suunto, Brunton and Silva.  Silva was the first.  Actually Brunton for years is part of the Silva group and under the same corporate umbrella.  When Silva Acquired Brunton they were then eaten by Fiskars which also has the Gerber Legendary Blades. 

I own several compasses but my personal favorite general purpose is the Suunto M-3D with declination adjustment.

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Re: compasses and Gerber
Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 10:04:24 PM
What about Dalvey?
(

Offline FredKJ

Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 10:12:51 PM
Actually I have a Dalvey pocket compass.  It's not what I would use for standard navigation.  It's kind of one of those gift compasses.  Has a traditional pocket watch case with a modern liquid filled capsule.

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 01:15:03 AM
They are usable right? I ask this because I'm getting one soon.
(

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 06:20:21 AM
Gerber owns Silva?! :ahhh

their goes the neighborhood (if I can find it now >:( )

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 06:48:39 AM
Gerber owns Silva?! :ahhh

their goes the neighborhood (if I can find it now >:( )
:D :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline FredKJ

Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 02:50:38 PM
They are usable right? I ask this because I'm getting one soon.

Yes they are usable but if you want a basic compass for hiking you are better off with a standard protractor style compass.  My Dalvey is more decorative.  The case won't be as sturdy.  It does have a liquid filled capsule which makes it usable but a protractor compass is going to work better with a map.  I'd recommend one with a magnetic declination adjustment.  Sure you can calculate the magnetic declination but when you are cold and wet even simple math becomes difficult.  I have about eight compasses but my standard I use is a Suunto M-3D.  That's a good choice.  I got a Suunto M-2D once but upgraded it to a 3.  It's the scaled down model but for some reason the bezel was hard to turn.  Brunton makes a basic model with declination for under $15 which has declination adjustment as well.  I have a high end Brunton 8099 which is highly accurate but not easy to use on the trail.  As a back up I also have a Suunto M-9 wrist compass.  Silvas are good compasses but they seem to prefer just having a declination scale instead of an adjustment except for their high end models.  But then you will also see some of the same Brunton models under the Silva name with a slightly different model number.  A Dalvey works but lacks that protractor utility. 

Offline FredKJ

Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 06:28:53 PM
Lockpicker

If you want a good site that has all the main compasses for sale check out:

www.thecompassstore.com

The also have the Dalvey.  I can see that watch top breaking in field conditions.  More like a fancy presentation knife that works well but you don't want to mess up.

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 02:59:15 PM
Thats actually where I was planning to buy it.
(

Offline FredKJ

Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 03:15:56 PM
Thats actually where I was planning to buy it.

I got my Dalvey there.  They are a good site to shop for compasses.  They have all the brands.  They also have K&R a brand I am not familiar with but they look pretty good.  I got the nice Dalvey pocket compass with the map on the inside.  Yes it is usable with a modern liquid filled capsule in the traditional pocket watch casing.  Most integrated compasses in multipurpose tools I have found to be junk.  When you need a compass you want to know it swings freely and settles fast.  It's an absolute confidence thing.  On the Dalvey the bezel rotates nice.  It won't be as sturdy as a conventional protractor compass.  Remember that you have to compress the latch to close it as well as open it or you will mess up the latch.  It is a classy compass, enjoy it!  Still for general purpose use I would recommend the Suunto M-3D.  I own about 8 compasses and the Suunto is still my "go to" for outdoor use. 

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 08:44:41 PM
Not to be a jackass, but I know very little about compasses- isn't Recta considered to be a good name as well?  Or have I swallowed some hype somewhere?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline FredKJ

Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 09:05:12 PM
I'm not familiar with Recta.  Looked them up online.  It's a Swiss firm.  They look to be good compasses, your basic orienteering protractor design with a liquid filled capsule.  Those are the basic qualities you are looking for.  Beyond that style and features are somewhat personal preference.  A compass with a magnetic declination adjustment is a feature I like.  Another thing you have to be careful for especially when ordering internationally is that the compass is balanced for your latitude.  If it's not the needle will point down and jam.  You might notice one feature on some is a "global needle".  I know the Suunto M-3D has a global needle version.  These are balanced for any latitude.  If you plan to travel a lot or you're simply not sure pay a few extra bucks and go with a global needle. Not only does the magnetic field point North-South but to some extent up and down.  So a needle is balanced to lay flat.  Beyond that other features are sighting mirrors, clinometers, various scales and magnifiers etc.  You might find these features very useful or in your way depending on how you are using it.  Brunton has the Eclipse design with a circle within circle alignment.  I have the 8099 which uses this.  It gives a very precise sighting bearing but the drawback is it lacks the positional awareness of a conventional needle. 

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #12 on: June 10, 2009, 06:13:16 PM
Fred seems like the guy to ask about compasses! thanks buddy
I'd like a good one eventually :tu:

Offline crls1

• I do Exist!!!!
Reply #13 on: June 11, 2009, 01:51:59 AM
Not to be a jackass, but I know very little about compasses- isn't Recta considered to be a good name as well?  Or have I swallowed some hype somewhere?

Def

Yes, it is considered to have very nice products, and now is owned by Suunto.

Carlos
(

Offline FredKJ

Reply #14 on: June 11, 2009, 02:59:04 PM

Def

Yes, it is considered to have very nice products, and now is owned by Suunto.

Carlos

As you can see in the compass companies they all own each other.  Typical corporate world.  All these brands are basically the same in quality.  It's more a matter of what features you want and personal preferences.

Offline robertrogers

Reply #15 on: July 26, 2009, 04:05:26 PM
You can't go wrong with any of these brands.  The main thing is to really know how to use them!
[

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #16 on: July 29, 2009, 05:26:05 AM
Okay now... what are my options if I want a DoD approved compass? None of that liquid junk? :D
Got those frog legs.

ca Offline Shane769

• No Life Club
  • Gone Climbing.
Reply #17 on: July 29, 2009, 05:49:26 AM
Personal favourite is the Brunton 15TDCL mirrored compass. It means I have a nice compass, that has all the standard features, like magnifying glass for topo lines, UTM grid measurement divider things... :think:, declination adjustability, and it means I don't need a slope meter, with the bottom sighting hole, you can turn the compass sideways and look through that sighting hole at what you need your slope to, and then look at your slope indicator to see where you are at. Plus, I have a ton of experience with these from my Outdoor Rec. and Conservation uni courses.
"I would rather live 40 years of excitement and fun and exhilarating and just WOOOO, full volume, then 80 years of la di di di da... you know... boring. Why not get out there and live it?!"

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%