Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Resolve

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Gerber Resolve
on: May 30, 2009, 07:06:05 PM
Got this pretty cheap on ebay. First off, tool is quite heavy at 10 oz, and big measuring 3 3/4" L x 1 7/8" W at widesest point, and 7/8" thick.

The large size is problematic when using the pliers, they are just too wide. Pliers are spring loaded, with spring mechanism most likely hidden between plier heads as it can't be seen. when opened pliers are alsmost as big as your outstrecthed hand, making it very hard to manipulate.

There is a good assortment of tools, large and small flathead, crosspoint phillips, combo can and bottle opener, straight and serated blades, scissors, wood saw, lanyard ring, pliers & wire cutters. The tools are outboard opening.

All the tools lock, and locking mechanism works pretty good, although I would only use wd-40 as lubricant, oil may tend to attract dirt and gum up the works which are recessed. even after spraying it, some items still hard to open. the main blade & serated blade have thumb studs to assist opening. However they are to close to hub and are slightly painful to use(might take off corners with a dremel) also difficult to open these blades in 1 motion, needs 2-3 movements of thumb to extend.

Most of the tools are passable, crosspoint phillips probably only good for light tasks or it may strip itself or screws. The flatheads open at an odd angle, and not straight out tdue to shape of the tool, need use them like the skeltool drivers with 1 half of the tool open. Despite its bulk, the main blade, serrated blade and saw are puny - about 2", making saw practically useless. compared to wave blade its laughable. main blade test on slice of paper left slight rough edge as opposed to SAK crisp edge.

Fit and finish is decent, tool feels solid and well put together, comes with nylon belt sheath. I wouldn't pay more than $12-$15 US for it as the drawbacks outweigh the merits. I give it 2 out of 5 stars
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 07:47:11 PM by Blackbeard »
BB :B:

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Gerber Resolve
Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 07:09:32 PM
Great review mate :tu:

It's a shame Gerber can't make more of there MP/Diesel series instead of these crappy tools :-\
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 07:24:59 PM
Great pictures and write up Blackbeard!

I do agree about the blades on these Gerber Suspension-clones; who on earth designed these pathetic things?! ::) They are far too short for such a large multitool, and as you say the thumb studs are poorly engineered to the point of being almost un-usable. :P
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 07:51:04 PM
Thanks guys, mp400 compact sport is better way to go in terms of low priced multi's, its lighter, smaller and easier to use. this thing is just too heavy and blades too small, engineers/designers need a good slapping(and if you did it with this beast in hand they would probably be knocked unconcious  :twak:.)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 07:53:20 PM by Blackbeard »
BB :B:

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 02:11:23 AM
10 oz?! Wow, that's a lot heavier than I expected, always thought it's in the neighborhood of 6 or 7 oz.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 02:33:31 AM
If you want rid of it let me know :D

I used to come here a lot.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 07:09:02 PM
If you want rid of it let me know :D

I may take you up on that, PM me

us Offline Poncho65