Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Problem with a Trade with Leatherman123

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Problem with a Trade with Leatherman123
Reply #30 on: June 03, 2009, 08:45:40 PM
I see what you mean.. But, we both agreed on shipping Priority Mail w/ DC. That's what we agreed on and that's how I sent it. As I said, as soon as I leave the post office the package is out of my hands.  :)

Why didn't he use insurance then?
B

Flash

Reply #31 on: June 03, 2009, 08:59:15 PM
I see what you mean.. But, we both agreed on shipping Priority Mail w/ DC. That's what we agreed on and that's how I sent it. As I said, as soon as I leave the post office the package is out of my hands.  :)

Why didn't he use insurance then?

Nikko, if that is what you both agreed then you both took a risk.  As I see it, your risk worked his did not.  For what its worth I am with you on this one.

GG, I have said it before........well done

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #32 on: June 03, 2009, 09:01:37 PM
That's my thinking too..  :cheers:

B

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: June 03, 2009, 09:05:13 PM
This thread is proof that people have different expectations on this matter.

It would be great if we could all come to a consensus on what the board's normal policy is so that everyone is on the same page.

I don't think it really matters what is decided. It is more important that everyone just knows what those rules are to avoid any misunderstandings after the fact.
[

Flash

Reply #34 on: June 03, 2009, 09:06:51 PM
What this thread also shows is that even whilst disagreeing, the regulars do it politely  :cheers:

It also shows the fact that people will help out for nothing when they can  :salute:

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #35 on: June 03, 2009, 09:10:39 PM
That should put me with the "specials" then... ::) :D

@GG: Respect! :salute:

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: June 03, 2009, 09:43:05 PM
Ignoring the legalities and many precedents in this kind of situation, the simple solution is to agree prior to the sale/trade who is accepting responsibility for the package/s.  When both parties have agreed then the sale/trade goes ahead.

If the parties can not agree then they can politely agree to disagree and walk away from the transaction.  On a nice forum a civil agreement like this should be all that is required.

I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: June 03, 2009, 09:45:08 PM
What this thread also shows is that even whilst disagreeing, the regulars do it politely  :cheers:

It also shows the fact that people will help out for nothing when they can  :salute:

@#$%$# off!

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
Reply #38 on: June 03, 2009, 10:34:11 PM
I vote eodtech come up with the shipping thread, sorry to volunteer you for work but you do know what your talking about. :pok: :pok:

Actually the basics are:
1. ALWAYS use a box for heavy items - USA the Priority Mail boxes are FREE
2. Lighter items should be shipped using a TYVEK envelope
PS: The USPS uses TYVEK envelopes for Priority mail, one "could" use it as an inside wrapper and place it inside another envelope for mailing.
3. Ask the buyer / trader if he wishes insurance, if the offer is refused the person declining the insurance loses if the parcel is lost.
4. ALWAYS put a sticker, business card or other ID inside the package affixed to the item being shipped in case it becomes separated from it's original packaging

Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #39 on: June 03, 2009, 11:19:54 PM
Thanks everyone!  :cheers: I'm just glad the problem has been resolved.   :tu:

Nikko, there is a small lesson here:

More Tape! More Tape! More Tape! More Tape!  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

us Offline nelly1974

• No Life Club
  • Pitbulls are people too
Reply #40 on: June 03, 2009, 11:59:11 PM
Well done, GG!  :salute:

Perhaps it would be worthwhile to create a sticky of best practices for trading, including best shipping methods, packaging, procedures, and policies for when things like this happen?

Incidentally, I don't think Nikko is responsible in this case either. In my experience, requesting insurance, tracking, etc. is the responsibility of the recipient. If you agree to shipping without them, it is also on your head if they go missing.

The seller may offer something out of kindness, but it shouldn't be expected. It's just my personal opinion though, though I speak as someone who has been on both sides of this situation a few times.

I am sorry for what happened Zack. I would be ticked off too (and have been).

Different communities may develop different expectations though. Which is why I think it might be a good idea to create some rough guidelines.

I am 100% in agreement with the above.Nikko should not be held responsible for the loss or damage incurred by the postal service and neither should anyone else for that matter. i would however suggest better packaging next time.
[

us Offline Pacu

Reply #41 on: June 04, 2009, 12:13:17 AM
I've done a few trades on here and if i shipped something to someone and it didn't arrive (hasn't happened yet :D) i'd try to take care of that person even though $&*# happens. I'd probably send back what they sent me. I know it wouldn't be my problem if the mail failed to deliver but... ::)

But i like to deal with established members only so i don't get burned by a scammer.
:like:    :MTO:

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #42 on: June 04, 2009, 12:27:23 AM
Thanks everyone!  :cheers: I'm just glad the problem has been resolved.   :tu:

Nikko, there is a small lesson here:

More Tape! More Tape! More Tape! More Tape!  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Three cheers and three salutes for a Great Guy Gadget Guy :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :tu: :tu: :tu: The world is a bit workable with you around :D

We should have a Duct tape forum, when in doubt use more duct tape :D
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: June 04, 2009, 12:34:42 AM
I'm Duct Tape member #1!  :tu:  :D

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: June 04, 2009, 02:36:41 AM
I've done a few trades on here and if i shipped something to someone and it didn't arrive (hasn't happened yet :D) i'd try to take care of that person even though $&*# happens. I'd probably send back what they sent me. I know it wouldn't be my problem if the mail failed to deliver but... ::)

But i like to deal with established members only so i don't get burned by a scammer.

+1 on that.  :)

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #45 on: June 04, 2009, 01:41:57 PM
I have sent 3 lots of trades overseas & I have sent them in boxes with fuc$ loads of tape & with registered mail. With Australia post it is only $5 extra to use registered mail(I know it does cost a lot more in other countries). Personally I would feel an obligation if the package went missing & would try & sort something out with the other party . This is just me & I feel strongly about looking after my buddies.

GG that is very good of you mate  :salute: :salute: :salute:.

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

it Offline sardauker

• Just arrived
Reply #46 on: June 04, 2009, 02:08:52 PM
great GG!  :o

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #47 on: June 04, 2009, 03:14:52 PM

+1 on that.  :)

I have to say that sums up my feelings nicely.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ph Offline Teofilo

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: June 05, 2009, 12:56:56 AM
Send me your address and I'll send you a replacement Surge. Problem solved....   :cheers:

:salute:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #49 on: June 05, 2009, 02:00:00 AM

Send me your address and I'll send you a replacement Surge. Problem solved....   :cheers:

Mr. Whippy
General Delivery
Smalltown, MD

Thanks so much GG.  :tu:

us Offline turbov21

Reply #50 on: June 05, 2009, 02:29:23 AM

Can I be #3?

(I'm assuming someone beat me to #2.)

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: June 06, 2009, 04:32:46 AM

Can I be #3?

(I'm assuming someone beat me to #2.)

Sure!  :D  Who got #2????

Offline Liveitloud

Reply #52 on: June 06, 2009, 01:26:03 PM
First of all, we both agreed on shipping via Priority with DC. WE SAID NOTHING ABOUT INSURANCE. I don't understand why it's my problem that the items didn't reach you. That's how I feel about this situation. But, thanks to John's generosity, this problem has been resolved..

John is great to make this deal right but it's your responsibility to make it right. It may be resolved for you but you aren't the one making it right. This is sad to see.

Flash

Reply #53 on: June 06, 2009, 02:16:53 PM
First of all, we both agreed on shipping via Priority with DC. WE SAID NOTHING ABOUT INSURANCE. I don't understand why it's my problem that the items didn't reach you. That's how I feel about this situation. But, thanks to John's generosity, this problem has been resolved..

John is great to make this deal right but it's your responsibility to make it right. It may be resolved for you but you aren't the one making it right. This is sad to see.

We agree that John is a real stand up man for doing this  :salute:

However, we disagree about LM 123.   "WE SAID NOTHING ABOUT INSURANCE" seems quite clear to me.....if you don't want to pay for insurance and stuff isn't delivered you loose out.

With insurance you get PROOF of postage, PROOF of delivery OR money back.  Without it either party can scam the other.........

'nuff said

Offline Liveitloud

Reply #54 on: June 06, 2009, 02:27:38 PM
I don't see insurance as the issue. I see the fact that it was improperly packaged as the problem. If it were put in a box rather than an envelope then I doubt we would even be having this conversation. Agree to disagree I guess.

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #55 on: June 06, 2009, 03:16:08 PM
Liveitloud, your absolutely wrong right now. I told him I was going to use a flat rate envelope as I always do and I suggested he does the same to lower shipping costs.. Why bother disagreeing when you don't know the full story?  ???

Whenever I ship out, I usually always say I will ship out in a flat rate envelope.
B

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #56 on: June 06, 2009, 03:26:34 PM
Sorry Nick and Nikko, but I really don't understand how this can be anyone's responsibility except Nikko's.

If you order something online and it doesn't show up, or wasn't packaged properly, you would expect to be refunded or the item replaced. Like the saying on ebay goes "insurance is there to protect the seller, not the buyer".

I'm struggling to think of an example anywhere where this wouldn't be the case.

I used to come here a lot.

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #57 on: June 06, 2009, 03:28:03 PM
We agreed on a shipping service, how to ship it, and what to ship it in! We both took a risk by not getting insurance or anything..
B

Flash

Reply #58 on: June 06, 2009, 03:32:02 PM
Sorry Nick and Nikko, but I really don't understand how this can be anyone's responsibility except Nikko's.

If you order something online and it doesn't show up, or wasn't packaged properly, you would expect to be refunded or the item replaced. Like the saying on ebay goes "insurance is there to protect the seller, not the buyer".

I'm struggling to think of an example anywhere where this wouldn't be the case.

You are right UNLESS they had agreed to forego insurance to save money....which is what they did.

This was agreed by both parties and the method of shipping was OK'd.

I think this thread has a positive side though other than the (polite  :salute:) disagreements shown.....agree to pay for insurance to save any recriminations later.

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #59 on: June 06, 2009, 03:34:41 PM
I'm with the two Nick's on this one. As a matter of fact, it's not uncommon to see sellers urging buyers to buy insurance if they want peace of mind. As I said earlier, they both decided to cheap out, only one of them got lucky in the end and the other didn't.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%