Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Pay more for less, would you?

jzmtl · 35 · 3026

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Pay more for less, would you?
on: June 04, 2009, 06:10:06 AM
I'm sure your answer after seeing the title is "heck no", but keep reading.

As of right now, the new vic soldier is $39 at felinevet, while its civilian cousin, the OHT is about $27 at EDCdepot. That's essentially a pretty big price drop for ADDING toothpick and tweezers. I have neither, and plan to get one. The logical part of me definately lean toward OHT, but there is something cool about standard swiss army issue. But is that something cool worth $12 AND losing T&T? I still can't make up my mind about it.  :(

What would you do, assuming you have none and will only get one?

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Re: Pay more for less, would you?
Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 06:23:21 AM
i faced a similar situation where i have to decide between a OHGAK and the OHT.....i went for the OHGAK, why....it was more expensive but it worth :tu: i really liked it and im still like it

plus when someone ask you what knife is that? what would you rather say? "its a OHT" :think: or is "the official SAK, the currently knife issued by the SA" 8)

just my dos centavos :salute:
A

us Offline WH867

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 06:55:21 AM
I made the descision a couple weeks ago to go with the OHT instead of the soldier.  I like having the toothpick.  Plus the catman had the OHT with classic special last month for $25 :tu:
Dennis

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 06:59:13 AM
The Soldier is definetly worth more as your buying into a lot of history :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 07:00:06 AM

That would be my choice as well.  :tu:
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 07:04:51 AM

I agree with mike on this.
(

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 07:41:23 AM
What about shipping?
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 03:20:29 PM
Both?! That wouldn't be wrong would it?  :D

Or, just the army one  :tu:
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline bren10man

Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 03:43:01 PM
I have all three: OHT, GAK, and 2008-pattern Soldier.  Greed is good sometimes!!! :drool: :gimme:

I have 2 of the 2008-pattern Soldiers: One a 1 of 1000 USA First Release with 2008 date (not for use)...the other one (from Felinevet) is a 2009, unmarked blade (i.e. regular sale, not the 1 of 1000 type) that I have deemed will stay in my Blackhawk backpack, and for EDC.

I ordered 2 more from Felinevet, one to brother in law for birthday this summer, other for my father in law for Father's Day. 

The GAK and the OD Trooper eventually will go into the soft rifle MOLLE case for my German-made (and banned from importation in 1989) HK-91 rifle, the semi-auto version of the German G-3 that was issued to the Bundeswehr prior to the G-36 becoming standard in the late 1990's.  If I get say a SIG-556 (or if I hit the jackpot and get a SIG-551 semi auto only), then I would LOVE to have the Wenger SAK made for the SIG-551.......it is part of the kit, you see!!!
MOLON LABE!

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 03:57:38 PM
Would you ever consider trading the HK?
(

us Offline bren10man

Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 06:08:19 PM

NOPE!!!!! (especially now with an anti-gun president and anti-gun Senate/Congress in power :twak:).  Always wanted one since I was a teenager, and I got it last summer while on leave.  Never fired until I got ahold of it.  I put 80 rounds down the barrel last summer, and plan on putting more downrange when I get home in about 6 weeks during some WELL deserved leave.  Not shown with the pics below, but last fall, I got the HK-91 bayonet with bayonet adapter for it.....will remedy that issue when I get home..... :drool:

These will go with it one day..stowed away in the black MOLLE rifle case:

« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 06:17:43 PM by bren10man »
MOLON LABE!

us Offline bren10man

Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 06:16:46 PM
To add, and speaking of HK, I have this awaiting for me at the gunshop back home for pick up upon my arrival:

HK USP-Tactical .45 ACP:

http://www.hk-usa.com/uspt_general.asp

« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 06:18:34 PM by bren10man »
MOLON LABE!

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: June 04, 2009, 06:27:11 PM
Do you know where I can get one at? If possible a made in Germany one.
(

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: June 04, 2009, 06:31:30 PM
Cool rifle  8).

Back on topic for a second.  I'd go for the OHT myself, but you might want to keep in mind the fact the Soldier also has the two-texture grippy scales you won't find on the OHT.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: June 04, 2009, 06:37:51 PM
It really boils down to how important having toothpick and tweezers in your knife is to you. If you rarely use them, then I wouldn't factor them into your decision.

I carry a toothpick and tweezers in my wallet, so that might be an option if you need them.

I imagine it would be an easy mod to the Soldier anyway, no? Anyone know for certain? Then you'd have the best of both worlds.  :tu:
[

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Reply #15 on: June 04, 2009, 10:50:37 PM
I personally think that the NEW SAK is just a glorified GAK but that won't stop me from owning one

I am interested in checking out the two texture and see what else they "tweaked".

I have to agree there is something about owning an "issue" knife as far as T&T just carry a classic with it. ;)

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: June 05, 2009, 02:01:43 AM
I think I would go with the new Soldier .

Chris

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #17 on: June 05, 2009, 04:08:35 AM
What about shipping?
My U.S. shipping is always free. I had the OHT/Classic combo on special for $25. for 2 months.
T

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: June 05, 2009, 04:43:28 AM
Tim I know your shipping is free, yet another great reason to buy from you.

Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

Offline SoDak

Reply #19 on: June 05, 2009, 06:18:41 AM

NOPE!!!!! (especially now with an anti-gun president and anti-gun Senate/Congress in power :twak:).  Always wanted one since I was a teenager, and I got it last summer while on leave.  Never fired until I got ahold of it.  I put 80 rounds down the barrel last summer, and plan on putting more downrange when I get home in about 6 weeks during some WELL deserved leave.  Not shown with the pics below, but last fall, I got the HK-91 bayonet with bayonet adapter for it.....will remedy that issue when I get home..... :drool:

(Image removed from quote.)

Is that an STG-556 in the left hand corner of the pic?

us Offline bren10man

Reply #20 on: June 05, 2009, 06:37:31 AM
Is that an STG-556 in the left hand corner of the pic?

I will let the pics below speak for themselves....BTW- it slices and it dices nicely!!!!

I fly home in 5 weeks for 21 days of deserved leave.....I will get to play with my toys... :drool:
MOLON LABE!

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: June 05, 2009, 07:38:54 AM
I hope you have some ammo, the US is experiencing huge shortages of it now.
(

us Offline bren10man

Reply #22 on: June 05, 2009, 11:26:48 AM
I hope you have some ammo, the US is experiencing huge shortages of it now.

I am well aware of it.  I keep tabs of it from various sources.  In fact, last summer, bought several hundred rounds of 5.56mm and 7.62mm.  This in addition to what I reloaded, and what I already had stockpiled.  1 week before "election day" last year, I bought 1K rounds of 7.62mm and 1K rounds of 5.56mm.  Delivered 2 days after "election" day.  Unlike many sheeple, myself and my friends remember what the Klintonista's did in 1994.  Been prepping for years. 

Buy it cheap, stack it deep, or you will weep.  I have no desire to weep.
MOLON LABE!

us Offline bren10man

Reply #23 on: June 05, 2009, 11:31:30 AM
Do you know where I can get one at? If possible a made in Germany one.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SearchResults.asp?SearchType=0&Keywords=HK%2D91

I got mine from a gentleman from WV who was a member (as well as I) on www.warrifles.com

MOLON LABE!

Offline SoDak

Reply #24 on: June 08, 2009, 06:27:15 AM
The stg-556 sure does look nice. I handled one and I was pretty impressed. The only thing that is keeping me back from getting one is initial cost and having to add a new type of mag(trying to keep my armory simple). I hear MSAR is going to release a model that take ar-15 mags, which I would sure consider.

us Offline bren10man

Reply #25 on: June 08, 2009, 05:11:54 PM
The stg-556 sure does look nice. I handled one and I was pretty impressed. The only thing that is keeping me back from getting one is initial cost and having to add a new type of mag(trying to keep my armory simple). I hear MSAR is going to release a model that take ar-15 mags, which I would sure consider.

FYI, I called the factory a few months ago inquiring about those very questions you propose:

1. Cost: like I said, buy it cheap (that officially ended 23:59 EST 4 NOV 08); stack it deep (should be rushed to completion); or you will weep (that began officially 1200 Noon EST 20 Jan 09 when the gun salesman of the month for evey month since NOV 08 was swon in as General Secretary of the USSA).  I paid, tax and all 1 year ago in June 2008: $1661.  Bought extra mags for $30 each.  MSAR informed me in NOV 08 of price increase NLT $1899 before taxes.  This to pay for factory expansion and more shifts to keep up the demand of sales.  I have seen them go for on average $2000.  
If you want one, BUY NOW!!!  Cost will soon be irrelevant if an unconstitutional gun ban basses the Politboro of the USSA or General Secretary Hussein does a Klintonista-style "executive order", requiring registration that leads to taxation (someone has to pay for all those bail outs and womb-to-the-tomb health-care program they want), which will lead to Hilter and Stalin style and, dare I say, UK and Australia-style confiscations.  Then you won't be able to get one, at any price.

2. MSAR redesigned the stock you see on mine.  New ones since OCT 2008 do not have M16A1-style foreward assist, and the mag well was redesigned to take not only MSAR STG-556 mags, but also Steyr AUG mags.  I can get one for $200 or so from the factory to retrofit mine....any color, too: Tan, Black, Sage Green.  However, I will also have to get folding barrel grip kit if I want to change (around $40) to match if color change.  They said they are working, but not ready yet, for a NATO STANAG/M16 magazine stock that will take those mags.  NATO/STANAG mags are M16 mags.  All NATO countries must use an M16-style mag (i.e. SA-80A2, M16-series, FAMAS, etc).  Germany, however, uses G-36, which has its own proprietary mag.  My friend back home, that I will be shooting with, has an original, pre-ban 1989 Steyr AUG.  He has green, black, and STANAG stocks for his AUG.

If you want one, drain the bank accounts and get one.  I vividly remember 1989 (I was 17, too young to buy a gun, any gun; under the thumb of my dad who doesn't like those type of firearms; and broke), and 1994 (22 and broke college student) and unable to get all I wanted.  When the ban lifted in 2004, I went to work and started to get what I want.  No weeping from me!!!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 05:16:58 PM by bren10man »
MOLON LABE!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #26 on: June 08, 2009, 05:45:42 PM
If you want one, BUY NOW!!!  Cost will soon be irrelevant if an unconstitutional gun ban basses the Politboro of the USSA or General Secretary Hussein does a Klintonista-style "executive order", requiring registration that leads to taxation (someone has to pay for all those bail outs and womb-to-the-tomb health-care program they want), which will lead to Hilter and Stalin style and, dare I say, UK and Australia-style confiscations.  Then you won't be able to get one, at any price.

That is pretty heavy handed, and extreme.  Regardless of your thoughts and positions on the matter, sensationalizing and ridiculing is not the method for change.  This is not a political forum, and politics really aren't welcome here because it causes arguments between otherwise rational people, and suggesting that a Hitler type White House probably isn't conducive to an intelligent rational discussion.

Look at Michael Moore if you don't believe me.  The man has some good points, but since he's such a boob, no one can take him, and as a result his causes seriously.

So, while you do raise a good point about the firearms, lets try to keep the political mess out of it, ok?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline bren10man

Reply #27 on: June 08, 2009, 08:08:50 PM
If you want one, BUY NOW!!!  Cost will soon be irrelevant if an unconstitutional gun ban basses the Politboro of the USSA or General Secretary Hussein does a Klintonista-style "executive order", requiring registration that leads to taxation (someone has to pay for all those bail outs and womb-to-the-tomb health-care program they want), which will lead to Hilter and Stalin style and, dare I say, UK and Australia-style confiscations.  Then you won't be able to get one, at any price.

That is pretty heavy handed, and extreme.  Regardless of your thoughts and positions on the matter, sensationalizing and ridiculing is not the method for change.  This is not a political forum, and politics really aren't welcome here because it causes arguments between otherwise rational people, and suggesting that a Hitler type White House probably isn't conducive to an intelligent rational discussion.

Look at Michael Moore if you don't believe me.  The man has some good points, but since he's such a boob, no one can take him, and as a result his causes seriously.

So, while you do raise a good point about the firearms, lets try to keep the political mess out of it, ok?

Def

Unfortuneately, the truth hurts.  It is a fact, like it or not.  and yes, Michael Moron is a big, fat slob.  And last I checked, Michael Moron is VERY anti-gun, proven by his "Bowling for Columbine" leftist propaganda rag.

Heavy handed and extreme???  Nope, it call it heavy handed and extreme what some of the proposals the anti-gunners want to do.

And, what is next, knives?  sticks?  stones?  It affects us all.  None of us like it, but we are stuck with it.  Some posters wanted my opinion, I gave it, along with historical references and how it HAS affected me, and other gun owners in the USA, personally.

BTW: I did NOT call anyone in the White House "Hitler".  However, I DID point out what Hitler did, and what Stalin did, in their respective countries reference to the private ownership of guns.  ( I need to find and  post that "They came for __, and I did nothing.." speech).

As such, the more we ignore history, the more we are doomed to repeat it.

If anyone else wants to chime in, PM me.......Be advised: I call it like I see it, and it is NOT Politically Correct.  Facts are never P.C.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 08:16:08 PM by bren10man »
MOLON LABE!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #28 on: June 08, 2009, 08:53:22 PM
I am not commenting on your opinion, I was commenting on the way you said it.  Facts don't include silly names like General Secretary Hussein, and facts don't draw conclusions that lead to banning sticks and rocks.  Those interpretations are your own, and you are welcome to have them.  The way you communicated them does little to support your cause or beliefs.

And, I suggest again that these kinds of discussions might be best left to Political Forums, where folks are used to bitching and moaning about things they can't do a blessed thing about and are not likely to change.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline bren10man

Reply #29 on: June 08, 2009, 09:02:27 PM
Like I said in my last post, PM me if you want to comment more about it.  I will go into details why I call their actions and policies and themselves that....based upon current events and historical facts.

I will not comment further in public about it, as you wished.
MOLON LABE!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD