Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

2 Knockoffs, a Wenger Esquire, and a Victorinox Classic SD.

Chako · 10 · 8279

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
This is my first SAK comparison.

As some of you know, I am just getting into Swiss Army Knife (SAK) collecting.  Because my collection is not that large, and my models limited, I will talk briefly about the very basic of models.

Keep in mind that for the longest time, I did not like SAK and SAK like objects (cheap knockoffs). I owned a cheap knockoff for many years, and absolutely hated it. My experiences with it sort of turned me off of a true Swiss Army Knife for the longest time. I decided to focus on multi tools because I had better success with them.

In fact, I just recently dug up the old cheapo from long term storage to add to the new SAK collection…not because of the fond memories I had of it, nor because of its quality and value. It will stand as reminder of what not to buy.  A lesson that was hard in coming, for I did buy a stainless steel version that I though looked nice. This was however, another cheap knockoff with the same issues that my first older version suffered from.  These cheap knockoffs exude a higher level of cheapness when placed next to a real SAK.  The only reason I am now getting into SAK collecting is due to the wonderful discussions found on this web site.

Now onto the short review…

From left to right: Stainless Steel SAK like object, my original SAK like object, Wenger Esquire, and Victorinox Classic SD.

SAK Like Objects V.S. Real SAK
In the above photographs, I have two of each. The biggest difference is the lack of quality. All 4 knives have the same general shape, the same tool set, and almost the same accessories. However, the cheap knockoffs tend to be well….made very cheaply. This would include poor fit and finish. Tools that wobble horribly side to side when deployed, that is if you can get them out of their hiding places. The metals used in cheap knockoffs is of inferior quality, often not being able to hold a sharp edge. Oddly enough, they sell these knockoffs for not much less then the real deal…go figure.

A good example of the differences can easily be seen in the implementation of the scissors, and that of the file.  The scissors are often small badly made things with weak springs. The files on the knockoffs  tend to be double sided, with a rough cross hatch on one side, and two fingernail grooves on the other side.

From the above photos, you can also see that the cheap Benchtop labeled model has a very junky toothpick and tweezers. The Tweezers are more than useless, as I could never pick anything up with them. The stainless steel version does not carry these accessories.

Another difference is the marking on the blades. The cheaply made knockoffs have “Made in China Stainless” on the base. The Wenger has “Wenger” on one side, and “Wenger Delmont Switzerland Stainless” on the other side. The Victorinox has “Victorinox Swiss Made Stainless” on one side, leaving the other side of the blade with no markings.

Victorinox Classic SD V.S. Wenger Esquire

I read somewhere that these two models are the most popular Swiss Army Knife models out there. I would imagine it is due to their small size and core tool functionality. I do know that these models tend to be the most copied models out there.

Both knives belong to each manufacturers smallest class of knives. The Wenger is only 65mm long. The Victorinox Classisc SD is smaller at 58mm. Both knives contain the same toolset with the same tool placement.

Both knives have a very good quality feel to them. There are differences though.

The Wenger has by far the best scissors. I will take the metal lever over a small piece of spring steel any day…thank you.

Both files are oddly similar in function and quality. The folding files have only one side useable. I couldn’t tell the difference
between the two when looking strictly at the file area. The Victorinox SD has the SD tacked on due to the file having a small flat head screwdriver on the tip. Victorinox also makes a very popular Classic that looks exactly like the Wenger, with a fingernail cleaner on the tip.

Looking at the knives, you would be hard pressed to see any difference in shape.

Likewise, I am happy to report that both tweezers work unlike the cheaper knockoff. The toothpicks are also built a little thicker where they need to be for support. Both toothpicks are also of different shape. I am unsure why Wenger has a bump on one side of the toothpick. My only guess is that it prevents the toothpick from sliding downwards past a point. It is odd however. When I first saw it, I assumed it was a glitch. I was prepared to sand it off until I noted that all the other Wingers I have also exhibit the same bump on the toothpick. After that, I just assumed it is supposed to be there.

A big difference between the two is how the toothpick and tweezers are pulled out. I find I much prefer the Victorinox style. It is easier on the finger tips. My biggest issue with Wenger is that the small metal tweezers have the ends bent sharply for a fingernail to pull it out. However, the top and bottom tweezers form a small gap that is the perfect width of my fingernail. When I pull up the tweezers, I have the tweezers jammed on my fingernail, and it can be a struggle to get it off the fingernail. With that said, the Wenger accessory storage is more protected from accidentally pulling one of the accessories during use. The Victorinox place their fingernail ledge on the outside of the knife where It is easily accessible, and Wenger places them on the inside where it Is harder to get at.

Conclusion

These smaller type Swiss Army Knives tend to be the most popular to carry around due to their small package and good basic tool set. Because of this, there are many copies that are of inferior quality out there. In this short article, we have seen two made in China knockoffs. Not all made in China products are cheap..but I have found that the vast majority of these types of knockoffs are cheap. I would stay well away from these. You won’t be happy with them.
The Victorinox and Wenger are original Swiss Army Knives. Both are very similar, but have some differences that might dictate which model you may want for your every day carry. The Victorinox is smaller, and has a better implementation of the tweezers and toothpick. The Classic SD also has a small flat head screwdriver instead of the fingernail cleaner.

The Wenger is larger, and because of this, the folding tools are also slightly longer. The scissors are the Wenger’s best feature.  The metal lever should last longer than a small bent piece of spring steel.  Wenger’s tweezers have a flaw. The end you pull out with a fingernail is the same thickness as my fingernail. I find that it lodges itself on my fingernail, and can be hard to pry off once pulled out of the knife.
Both exude quality. The folding tools swing freely and smoothly. The fit and finish of the folding tools is very good. There is no comparison to the knockoffs in this department. However, with that said, the Victorinox has the smoother opening, and the snappier spring action when the tool hits home in the open position ready to use. Also, the Wenger has some stiffer tools that require a bit more fingernail pressure.  The Wenger feels a touch less refined compared to the Victorinox. It is nothing you would notice unless you had both side by side.

SAK like Objects:
Pros:
-   Can be had for a few dollars.
Cons:
-   You get what you pay for.
-   Tools wobble from side to side when opened.
-   Fit and finish is very poor.
-   If it comes with tweezers, they may not work.
-   Scissors are small, and the spring steel isn’t very springy.
-   Inferior steel used. Knives don’t stay sharp for long…that is if you can put an edge on it.
-   Tweezers and toothpick are loose in storage. It’s a wonder I haven’t lost mine yet.

Wenger Esquire:
Pros:
-   Scissors are very nice.
-   Larger size means larger folding tools.
-   Fit and finish is very high.
-   Folding tools fold easily and smoothly.
-   Steel used is of good quality. Knives are sharp when shipped to you.
-   Tweezers and toothpick located on the inside of the knife, making them harder to accidently pull on out during wear.
Cons:
-   Tweezers design needs to be rethought.  
-   Odd bump on toothpick that is fairly close to the working end of the accessory.
-   Slightly larger size ( minor quibble as it is still rather small and easy to carry).
-   Tools don’t snap open as easily as the Victorinox. Likewise, some of the folding tools are harder to open then the Victorinox.

Victorinox Classic SD:
Pros:
-   Smaller size means it is easier to carry by a very slight margin.
-   Fit and finish is very high.
-   Folding tools fold easily and smoothly.
-   Steel used is of good quality. Knives are sharp when shopped to you.
-   Tweezers and toothpick are of better design. They are also easier to pull out when you need them.
-   The SD version has a flat head screwdriver instead of a fingernail cleaner of the Classic model.
-   Folding tools are easier to take out, and they have a stronger snapping action when the tool is in the open position.
Cons:
-   Tweezers and toothpick are placed on the outside, making it slightly easier to accidentally pull them out when using the SAK.
-   Smaller size means smaller folding tools.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 01:48:52 AM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: 2 Knockoffs, a Wenger Esquire, and a Victorinox Classic SD.
Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 01:32:13 AM
Nice write-up and shot mate.  :tu:  As a piece of engineering I agree that the Wenger scissors are better, but (and it's a big but IMO) I can't get along with the serrated scissor edges.  One of the primary tasks I put 58mm scissors to is nail cutting and the rough nail edge the Wenger leaves is a deal breaker for me.  Of course everyone is different so YMMV. 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 01:42:17 AM
I would have to agree. I have never tried to cut nails with them. I can imagine the very small serration would not make them the best for that task.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 02:06:28 AM
At least there is a file to clean up the mess.  :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 02:12:55 AM
I still don't think I would use it on my nails.   :cheers:

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 02:17:43 AM
great comparison mate, as usual :cheers:
A

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 04:53:36 AM
Nice review and comparison Chako :cheers: man you just keep pumping out the reviews :o :D Great work :tu:

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 07:24:20 AM
Ah, some Swiss stuff at last :D

Great right up mate, and like Gareth has pointed out, the serrations are the only thing holding the Wenger back :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline JohnD

Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 08:41:04 AM
I own both models,well i did but the Esquire was erm....nicked by SWMBO. I also own the ALOX version of the Classic which i love! However i put the standard one back on my keys as i am now carrying the Farmer and need the T&T.

Cracking review mate,great read!  :salute:
"

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 12:12:29 PM
This one took a long time to make. I am generally out of my element when comparing SAKs. I find it far easier to write a review about MTs. May haps the second and third review will be easier. Possibly a mental thing I wager.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69