Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Pulse comparison.

Gareth · 30 · 7861

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Pulse comparison.
on: June 23, 2009, 03:27:04 PM
Having just got my hands on a mint Pulse (thanks again Scrappy) I thought I'd do a few comparison shots.

The nearest tools in the current Leatherman line-up are the Blast and the Fuse.  The Pulse sits somewhere in the middle when looking at the tool selection, having a file and a small screwdriver more than the Fuse but lacking the saw of the Blast.

The tool selection on the Pulse is excellent, a very nice range in what is still a very compact body.  In fact, even though the Fuse has less tools the Pulse is that little bit more compact.  I suspect this is due to the plastic inserts the newer tools use.

The Pulse is very comfy to use when compared to the older PST and PST II due to having the nicely rolled edges on the handles that the older tools lacked.

I'd even give it the edge over the Fuse and the Blast as the handles sit a bit closer together when in use.

The other big thing the Pulse has going for it is the diamond file what a great bit of kit and it's sad the Leatherman don't use it more often.
  So is the Pulse perfect?  Well, not quite.  The roller locks are unconventional to say the least and well earn the title "thumb shredders" that I have heard used before.  Saying that I suspect I'll get used to them and there is no denying that they lock-up nice and solidly.  It also suffers from the tool clumping that was a constant "feature" of the older Leatherman's.

All in all though a great multitool and it's a great shame that Leatherman don't produce an exact equivalent anymore.

Gareth.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 03:29:49 PM by Gareth »
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Re: Pulse comparison.
Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 03:47:29 PM
Gareth nice one mate  :tu: :tu:
The Pulse is one of my favorite LM's & used to be my EDC before I got my Spirit X ::) :D.It is a great size & I am right with you on the diamond file love  :D :D.
I like the scissors too , some ware between the early wave's whoppers & a bit more substantial than the Fuse/Blast. 8)

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 03:54:57 PM
Thanks man, I know what you mean about the scissors they are just that little bit more than the Blast etc.  I'm not sure it'll make any difference in use though. :think:

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 05:07:46 PM
Thanks for the write up Gareth  :tu:    I wonder why we see so little of diamond files.  My first thought was cost of manufacture but I suppose they also wear out quicker and so might lead to more warranty claims.
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 06:08:51 PM
Thanks for the pics :tu: the pulse still at the very buttom of my to-get list but i hope one day i can get one to try it myself :)
A

wales Offline rp252

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 06:48:31 PM
Nice write up, thanks for the pics.

I really like my pulse, you've covered why above - great tool selection in a compact package.  Those blade locks can be a little painful but they're one of the most secure locks I've seen on an MT.  And I do like those scissors.

Congrats on the new tool mate :tu: Cheers for the write up.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 07:11:32 PM
Thanks for the right up and pictures mate :tu:

Those rolled handles make a hell of a difference don't they :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 08:22:34 PM
Damn, another one on the wanted list ::) :)

Thanks for the write up :tu:
Prone to daydreaming.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 09:43:08 PM
I really like the Pulse as well :D For me the locks seem to have gotten easier with use or I have just adjusted to them better 1 :think: ;) It is as good a tool as any I own and I just can't figure out why they haven't updated that tool :-\ They need to revamp it's locking system like they did the new SuperTool 300 :o :D It would be the Pulse 2 :cheers:  Those are great pics as well you really did the Pulse justice Gareth :tu:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 10:52:10 PM
Thanks for all the feedback folks.  :salute:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 10:55:42 PM
The Pulse is a grand tool. I like mine.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 11:08:42 PM
Nice one Gareth.  :tu:  I never got on with the locks on mine so it got sent away to a more appreciative owner.
I'm back!!

us Offline Pacu

Reply #12 on: June 23, 2009, 11:53:28 PM
I gave my dad my Pulse. I think he filed it away in the gun safe. He still carries the Gerber 400 i gave him years ago. Poor Pulse. Hidden in the dark :-\

I need to get another....this time without Windows Server on it ::)
:like:    :MTO:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 03:58:51 AM
I gave my dad my Pulse. I think he filed it away in the gun safe. He still carries the Gerber 400 i gave him years ago. Poor Pulse. Hidden in the dark :-\

I need to get another....this time without Windows Server on it ::)

I took a Rust Eraser to mine and only in a certain light can you see it now (the Window Server 2003 writing) :tu: it is also a more satin finish vs. the shiny finish though :)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 04:54:52 AM
I really like the Pulse as well :D For me the locks seem to have gotten easier with use or I have just adjusted to them better 1 :think: ;) It is as good a tool as any I own and I just can't figure out why they haven't updated that tool :-\ They need to revamp it's locking system like they did the new SuperTool 300 :o :D It would be the Pulse 2 :cheers:  Those are great pics as well you really did the Pulse justice Gareth :tu:

I was thinking the same thing Ponch. Good one! :tu:

Nice pics Gareth! :salute:  (but you forgot to take one of the hidden lanyard ring) :pok: :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: June 24, 2009, 10:06:09 AM
Just for you Bob. ;)  For those who don't know there is a hidden lanyard ring that sits under the rolled edge of the handle, importantly this means it doesn't take up any room that could be used for another tool.  To get to it you simply need to, nearly, fully open the file and then close it again, the ring should then swivel into place.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: June 25, 2009, 02:31:19 AM
That is another feature that they should have kept just like that :-\ The new ones have the ring but it's not so hidden and sometimes well most of the time comes out with other implements :-[ but if you are a lanyard person then I am sure that never would bother you :D

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #17 on: June 27, 2009, 10:47:53 PM
nice review. it is one of my favorite tools. I still have one with the windows logo.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: June 27, 2009, 10:58:44 PM
Thanks Scrappy, it really is a great tool.  :)  I'm also quickly getting used to the locks, not such a pain to use now.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: June 27, 2009, 11:44:14 PM
Just for you Bob. ;)  For those who don't know there is a hidden lanyard ring that sits under the rolled edge of the handle, importantly this means it doesn't take up any room that could be used for another tool.  To get to it you simply need to, nearly, fully open the file and then close it again, the ring should then swivel into place.

(Image removed from quote.)

Thank you sir, for another fine picture! :salute: 

Yah, the more I think about it the more I like the idea of a Pulse II with rocker locks. (like a Blast or a Core) Wouldn't that be just the cat's meow? :multi:

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: June 28, 2009, 10:34:49 AM
The dogs danglies mate.   :cheers:

For me the plastic inserts don't have any real advantage over the rolled edge, and add a bit of bulk that isn't necessary.  I don't dislike them particularly but I'd rather see a slimmer tool.

Hear that Mr Leatherman?  Pulse II, with Blast type locks, rolled edges and a diamond file.  :drool:

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: June 28, 2009, 12:50:20 PM
The dogs danglies mate.   :cheers:

For me the plastic inserts don't have any real advantage over the rolled edge, and add a bit of bulk that isn't necessary.  I don't dislike them particularly but I'd rather see a slimmer tool.

Hear that Mr Leatherman?  Pulse II, with Blast type locks, rolled edges and a diamond file.  :drool:

Make that knifeless and I'd be a happy guy.  :tu:
I'm back!!

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: June 28, 2009, 11:13:11 PM
I was considering a Kick for a light EDC but the Pulse seems to fit the bill better.  Does anyone know if a pocket clip can be added to the pulse?

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: June 29, 2009, 12:16:51 AM
I was considering a Kick for a light EDC but the Pulse seems to fit the bill better.  Does anyone know if a pocket clip can be added to the pulse?

You could always try doing something like this http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,7116.0.html
I'm back!!

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #24 on: June 29, 2009, 03:25:41 AM
thank you.
I put the sak to good use. saw, metal saw, and scissors make it perfect.

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #25 on: June 29, 2009, 03:52:06 AM

I used a clip from a LM knife to my Pulse
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,7216.0.html

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: June 29, 2009, 06:31:30 AM

I used a clip from a LM knife to my Pulse
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,7216.0.html
Well that answers that.  I guess I need to find a Pulse to purchase.  Anyone?? :pok:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: July 01, 2012, 01:54:01 PM
Just a little thread necromancy here. :D  I was looking back through some of my older topics and I came across this one.  The Pulse remains one of my favourite all time multitools and still gets carried frequently.  Since this thread was last posted in we have seen LM making a return to the rolled edges on both the Supertool and now the Rebar, sadly I still don't think the Rebar quite makes for an updated Pulse IMO due to the fact it lacks a pair of scissors. :-\  It's close Mr Leatherman, but still not quite there. ;)

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #28 on: July 02, 2012, 02:42:06 AM
...  sadly I still don't think the Rebar quite makes for an updated Pulse IMO due to the fact it lacks a pair of scissors.....

I brought my Leatherman Pulse into a store today to compare it with the new Rebar they sell.   I was disappointed to see that the Rebar knife is much thinner than the Pulse knife.

The spine on the Pulse knife is as thick as the knife on the Super Tool 300.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: July 02, 2012, 08:00:59 AM
Well I've not managed to do that direct comparison, but I can certainly attest to the thickness of the Pulse blade, it's very stout. :salute:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%