Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Review: Surge vs Charge ALX vs New Wave

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Re: Review: Surge vs Charge ALX vs New Wave
Reply #30 on: March 17, 2010, 04:47:16 AM
I just ordered a Charge ALX.  I think the small bit driver is a bit unnecessary, and I will be modding my charge to include scissors.  I would much rather have an awl.

us Offline asupernothing

• The best way to predict the future is to create it
Reply #31 on: June 14, 2010, 05:50:40 PM
i have to admit that i like having the small bit driver, and i am in fact glad that they made it a bit rather than a small fixed driver. aside from the standard uses, it makes an adequate lockpick >:D. i have actually broken a few of the bits this way... :oops:
(insert witty quote)

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: June 14, 2010, 06:26:56 PM
Nice comparison.
 I like my alx.  I don't need scissors with two knives and a guthook.  The Surge is too heavy.
I like the extra driver on the ALX then I don't really need to carry the bit-kit.  I agree I haven't used the small eye glass
screwdriver much.  To be totally honest if it weren't for the drivers on a multi-tool I probably wouldn't carry
them much at all because I always have a knife handy in pocket and it's a bit rarer for me to have a need for
pliers.  Often I find a good SAK fits the bill a bit better than even my ALX.   
Thanks for the review. :)

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #33 on: June 15, 2010, 09:20:07 AM
Nice comparison.
 I like my alx.  I don't need scissors with two knives and a guthook.  The Surge is too heavy.
I like the extra driver on the ALX then I don't really need to carry the bit-kit.  I agree I haven't used the small eye glass
screwdriver much.  To be totally honest if it weren't for the drivers on a multi-tool I probably wouldn't carry
them much at all because I always have a knife handy in pocket and it's a bit rarer for me to have a need for
pliers.  Often I find a good SAK fits the bill a bit better than even my ALX.   
Thanks for the review. :)

All in all I miss my charge, but I would go for an AL instead of the ALX.  I just use the scissors too darn much to lose them.  I think I will spring for another charge sometime soon.

us Offline asupernothing

• The best way to predict the future is to create it
Reply #34 on: June 15, 2010, 03:08:13 PM
do what i do to get everything you could ever possibly need:
charge alx in a sheath on my belt
juice s2 on my keys

besides you never know when you will need 2 pairs of pliers...
(insert witty quote)

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: June 15, 2010, 04:24:24 PM
Well with all the differences of opinions it should be secure us a variety of tools from the manufacturers
for years to come.  :D

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: June 18, 2010, 06:11:27 PM
Mr. Whippy , I hear you on the surge being a letdown , I felt the same when I got mine and quickly gave it away . Good review !

Chris

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: August 24, 2010, 05:21:25 PM
Your thoughts mirror my own on the Surge , no to say it isn't a fine tool . I don't care much for the ALX family , I feel that if you wan't an upgrade from the Wave , pony up for a Charge and be done with it . The Wave is probably the most cost effective of the trio .

Excellent review !

Chis

za Offline Jors

• Johan Crous
Reply #38 on: March 06, 2011, 07:12:35 AM
I am using the Surge as my EDC and lately (temporarily) I am also carrying the Supertool 300.

I find the bigger tool better for heavy jobs and the pliers are stronger.

The scissors is a must on a multitool (unless you carry the Micra with you as well). The scissors on the Surge is bigger and stronger than the one on the Wave.

I agree with the fact that I would have liked the Saw and File simultaneously on the tool. However I now also carry two Bosch steel cutting jigsaw blades as it also fit into the blade changer and this is so nice. I can now also cut a nail of or something hard in that moment of need where nothing else is available.

The small screw driver that seems to be useless: I use mine regularly. I use it for my spectacle's nose rest, to remove it for deep cleaning purposes or replacement. I use it regularly to undo cable ties and use it again. I am a police officer and the big handcuff cable ties are expensive so I re-use it a couple of times. Recently I had to remove a broken front part of a vehicle's boot key from the lock. I used the small bit in the process. When I installed (re-installed) irrigation last week (Hunter pop-ups), I used the small driver to remove filth from the jet screw (which is in fact a stainless grub screw, head-less). For this little bit I have plenty of use.

The Surge also features bigger blades than the smaller tools. This comes in handy with the serrated blade as I use this regularly to cut straps and nylon pipes.

I own both the Wave and the Surge and my preferences go towards the bigger tools. Weight is no factor for me as I am use a pockits pouch and I carry the following in there:
Surge
Led Lenzer P5 flashlight
Wengers SAK
Leatherman Universal tool adapter
Surge pouch with saw blade + 2 X Bosch blades
Leatherman bit kit (both bit cards - full)
A handmade drill / awl
two pens.

With this setup I can do a lot.

I agree the Wave / Charge can do the same, as I have seen there are hacksaw blades that were grounded to be fitted to the clip's slot.
Regards
Johan

LEATHERMAN: Charge TTi; Super Tool 300; Surge; Pulse; Squirt P4; Micra; MUT STD; Bit Adapter; Universal Bit Adapter; Bit Extender; Leatherman Bit Kit; SOG: Powerlock (S60); Pocket PowerPlier (S44-N); Paratool (S31-N); CrossCut (CC51-CP); Rebar.
Lightsaver LS805 Commando; LED P7 & P5 (EDC); Maratac AAA (EDC Backup); Maglite Solitaire LED.
Cold Steel Lawman; Cudeman 8" & 10" Bowie. 4 Joseph Rogers, 4 Opinel; Buck 110 & 112 & 503.
www.johancrous.co.za

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD