Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Knee surgery today....

us Offline bren10man

Knee surgery today....
on: June 08, 2009, 08:37:40 PM
I had knee surgery today, torn meniscus.  So, I am not sure when I will make it back to Seoul to find goodies for you.

I am currently in crutches and a large brace from the thigh to the ankle.  Hopefully, it will heal quickly....!!!

MOLON LABE!

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Re: Knee surgery today....
Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 08:39:06 PM
Hope you get well fast buddy. :) No more knee-jerk reactions for a while, eh? :D

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 08:39:34 PM
good luck with that mate :tu:
A

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 08:43:35 PM
Sorry to hear that.  Did they have to remove meniscus or could they "tack" it back down?

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 08:47:34 PM
Get better soon mate. I had a small op on a knee a few years ago and it hurt like a bugger for a while  :o
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline bren10man

Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 08:59:29 PM
Thanks to you all.  I want to get better soon as I go on leave, and want to have fun at the range, and to make pics of my SAK's back home to show you.  Plus, I LOVE going to that store to get goodies for you guys via Felinevet.

Here is the details on the left knee:
1. MRI in late March showed it was a torn meniscus, that is the "cusion" between femur and lower leg bones, in the knee.

2. Pain really starting getting bad in March and Fall 2008 when either on my feet or sitting in a certain position for a long period of time.

3. It was arthoscoptic...I got "scoped".  I am not sure what the doc did, as I was just coming out of anesthesia and still groggy when he told me.

4. I am in a brace for 3-6 weeks...then rehab afterward.

5. I have pain killer prescribed, as well as an ice pack on top and an ice pack under the knee.  I am sitting in a recliner, with legs elevated.  Yep, it is swollen!!!

Any and ALL suggestions of how to get through this is appreciated!!!  To include "old wives tales", etc.

BTW, for you Brits: since I am going to be home alot because of this, I would LOVE a home-made recipe for Sheppard's Pie. I  have to keep my stomach full or else the painkiller causes me to vomit (already happened when I got home after I ate 2 hours earlier).
MOLON LABE!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 10:11:38 PM

BTW, for you Brits: since I am going to be home alot because of this, I would LOVE a home-made recipe for Sheppard's Pie. I  have to keep my stomach full or else the painkiller causes me to vomit (already happened when I got home after I ate 2 hours earlier).
Diclofenac by any chance :-\

As for recipes, I can burn water so your on your own :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline bren10man

Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 10:29:07 PM

Diclofenac by any chance :-\

As for recipes, I can burn water so your on your own :D

No, Perkoset (don't ask me to spell it!!!).

There is one anti-biotic that really makes me sick...it is a green pill, large too.  Burns up my stomach.  I can't remember the name....too long a name to remember, but when mentioned, I remember it.

Come on!! Sheppard's Pie is a national or famous dish from the UK, right?  Like a beef pot pie with mashed potatoes on top in lieu of crust.  YUMMY!!
MOLON LABE!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 10:30:26 PM
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 11:42:18 PM
Best of luck with your knee :tu:

Prone to daydreaming.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 01:03:41 AM
Come on!! Sheppard's Pie is a national or famous dish from the UK, right?  Like a beef pot pie with mashed potatoes on top in lieu of crust.  YUMMY!!

I had Shepard's pie tonight by coincidence.

Technically, shepherd's pie should be made with lamb, although people often make it with beef and call it shepard's pie. Do you really need a recipe for it though?

It's just cooked minced meat, with mashed potato on the top!
I used to come here a lot.

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 01:06:01 AM

Technically, shepherd's pie should be made with lamb, although people often make it with beef and call it shepard's pie. Do you really need a recipe for it though?

that sound tasty :drool:
A

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 01:09:18 AM
It's one of my favourites. Proper, honest, fattening food :D
I used to come here a lot.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 02:17:12 AM
Get well soon man :salute: :tu:

Offline silentio

Reply #15 on: June 09, 2009, 03:11:00 AM
Get well soon. For a moment, I was thinking that a Swisstool had a hand in the process of your surgery since it was posted here :P It might happen one day, I'm sure there's a surgeon out there that loves multitools :D

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: June 09, 2009, 03:41:54 AM
i believe theres an article in sosak about a sak used on a surgery :think:
A

00 Offline Bill.H

Reply #17 on: June 09, 2009, 04:58:58 AM
Ouch.  Good luck with that, I had 3 of those myself ('84 R, '94 L, and '98 R again - and the left is bothering me again now) and they're no fun. Good news: in 5 years there will be no scars at all.

Funny thing, to this day I don't know what caused any of those 3 injuries, neither did the doctors.

Best advice I can give: The large thigh muscle shrinks very fast. Your doc may tell you to do leg lift exercises. DO THEM. Do at least as many as he says, I think I was supposed to be doing 100/day after the first post-op visit. It literally took me all day to do the first 100, I couldn't do more than 2 or 3 at a time. It hurts like a bitch but will really be worth it after a few weeks, and you'll be "normal" much much sooner. I know this because I slacked off once and could see the difference.

It is actually a full year before you stop thinking about it and noticing it's just "not right yet" - when you can touch your heel to your butt you'll know you're pretty much there. Hmmm, come to think of it, sorry for mentioning that heel to the butt thing, it probably hurts just to think about it right now.  :cry:

So stay down and do nothing but the exercises he gives you for a week or so. Read some books. Watch some DVDs. As soon as you can walk, do it as much as you can. Changing from crutches to a cane quickly, and taking short walks, should speed recovery. It's good to work your legs to the point they hurt, but bad to make the knee hurt.

If the Percocet is bothering your stomach, ask him about Lortab - smaller dose of the same stuff, it made a big difference for my stomach. They're both available as generics. Don't take one without eating something first, even a handful of cookies & milk helps. Get to Advil as soon as the pain eases off, too much time on hydrocodone is not good, as I learned when they rebuilt my ankle (result of an accident) and I was on them for months.

A great food recipe, yummy, filling, chock full of carbs and fats and soooo goood (and reheats well in microwave if you cover it). Plus you can fill a bowl and have a whole meal in one hand while you're laying on the couch with your leg up and watching a movie.

If you get real bored, PM me and we'll talk about politics :)

Good Luck!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: June 09, 2009, 10:07:37 AM

If you use beef isn't that when you should call it cottage pie?  For an extra bit of yumminess I love to add a good layer of breadcrumbs and grated cheddar to the top for about the last 10minutes, makes a lovely golden crust. :drool:

I hope you are back on your feet soon mate. :salute:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #19 on: June 09, 2009, 08:16:00 PM
Take this for what it's worth...

My Wife (born and raised in Minnesota of strong Scandinavian stock) makes shepherds pie with seasoned ground beef (browned beforehand in a skillet) at the bottom, a layer of corn on that and mashed potatoes on top.  Baked to a lovely crustiness. 

May not be British fare, but quite awesome in its own right.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #20 on: June 09, 2009, 10:00:11 PM

If you use beef isn't that when you should call it cottage pie?  For an extra bit of yumminess I love to add a good layer of breadcrumbs and grated cheddar to the top for about the last 10minutes, makes a lovely golden crust. :drool:

I hope you are back on your feet soon mate. :salute:

I believe Cottage pie is beef, yes.

It is more than just mince and potato though.  There are a few herbs etc that go into the gravy but I only use a packet sauce so am no help there.  :D
I'm back!!

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: June 09, 2009, 10:21:31 PM

For an extra bit of yumminess I love to add a good layer of breadcrumbs and grated cheddar to the top for about the last 10minutes, makes a lovely golden crust. :drool:

That sounds good  :)

Just what a chap needs to help him over surgery.
Prone to daydreaming.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD