Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG S31, S44, S66, and S69 EOD Photo essay.

Chako · 18 · 8146

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
SOG S31, S44, S66, and S69 EOD Photo essay.
on: June 09, 2009, 01:24:05 AM
I got my 4 brand spanking SOGs in today. Now I have a few SOG models for the collection.

What follows is a loose jumble of my first impressions and a ton of photographs. Think of this one as a collection of thoughts I guess…..with photos!

I ordered a SOG S31 (Paratool), SOG  S44 (PowerPlier), SOG S66 (Power Assist), and a SOG S69 EOD (Powerlock 2.0).

I was very surprised to note that each came in a fairly different belt sheath.

From left to right: S31, S44, S66, and S69. Top View.

Side view.

Back view.

Taking the toys out.

Ah now we have the tools out of their belt sheaths.

From left to right: S31, S44, S66 and S69. Showing one side.

Showing the other side.

Here, we have the multi-tools folded out and pliers at the ready.

And the other side of the multi-tools.

As noted in previous reviews, the S31 Paratool, and the S44 Powerplier have angled plier heads. The Paratool is the only one of the family that allows you to angle the heads any degree you wish for those hard to get places. The S44 Powerpliers have the pliers offset a little. I imagine this would allow the tool to pick up small objects on a surface without your fingers or handles getting in the way.

From left to right: S31, S44, S66, and S69.

From left to right: S31, S44, S66, and S69. Showing the folding tools.

Close up of the S31 Paratool. This is a neat multi-tool. You can tell it is an older design as the folding tools do not lock.

The S31 reminds me of the Buck Bucklite 355 multi-tool in how the tool folds around the pliers. The only difference is that the SOG handles move in the same direction. The Buck tool moved in opposite directions.

Close up of the S44 PowerPliers. Another older design with tools that do not lock. Note the unprotected gears that give this tool its name. I must admit, this and the other two higher models open and close smoothly. A great feel of quality in its action.

Closing action of the S44 PowerPliers.

Close up of the S66 Power Assist. The Power Assist has an interesting feature. There are two locking mechanisms in the handle that holds both blades. You move the mechanism for the specific tool you want, upwards. This unlocks the tool. After that, a simple push upwards on the blade will engage a powerful spring that will flick the blade open rather quickly and with authority. The first time I did this, I was a little rattled by the speed of the contraption. To close the blade, push down on the locking mechanism, and fold the blade back down. A neat safety feature, is the incorporation of a secondary lock on the locking mechanism to prevent accidental blade opening in a pocket, or in hand, etc. Note the gear covers are present on this model. This model also has the piano locking mechanism for individual folding tools.

Close up of the S69 Powerlock 2.0. The Powerlock has an interesting folding blade locking mechanism. They call this a Piano lock because it looks like keys on a piano. You can lock and unlock individual tools on this model. The tools are also hidden under two folding rounded metal handle covers for comfort during usage of the pliers. The downside to this design, you have to fiddle with a cover every time you want to access a tool. I understand you can remove them; however, you are stuck with sharp sheet metal edge instead.

The S69 folded up partway with the tool handle covers open.

Overall, These are the first SOG tools that I have ever seen, felt, and fiddled with in person. I must say, each and every piece has a very high fit and finish to them that bespeaks quality. Each model here has some interesting features that set them apart.  We see the earlier tools like the S31 Paratool and the S44 Powerplier (which they still make today), along with the newer S66 and S69 tools that are larger with locking folding tools. Opening and closing the models with the gears is rather addictive. The tools have that smooth feeling that is hard to put into words.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Re: SOG S31, S44, S66, and S69 EOD Photo essay.
Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 01:27:34 AM
Blimey - you don't p*ss about do you Chako? :D

Great pics and words again :tu:
I used to come here a lot.

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 01:47:13 AM
awesome shots :tu: BTW someone correct me if im wrong but that PPP has the new plier head design, doesnt it? :think:
A

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 03:28:37 AM
 :cheers: Killer shots and review Chako :salute: You are very good at this :o :D :tu:

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 04:18:34 AM
Bravo....thanks for all the pics.

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 08:15:16 AM
Wow great job Chako. Really nice shots.
"

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 12:01:41 PM
Thanks everyone. Photos say more then I can.  :)

The fine people who I ordered these very nice multi tools also sent me a 2009 SOG product line book. It looks like I am missing a Powercut model.

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 12:12:54 PM
Chako great shots mate. The powerassist is that smaller than a Surge. I have to work out a way of sneaking one into OZ. Can the powerassist be locked so that a customs agent would not activate the assisted open blades. AO is a problem in OZ & ever since I asked the customs department about importing AO (AO is illegal) everyone of my overseas parcels has been opened by customs  :ahhh :think:

Mate I am really looking forward when your cross hairs fall upon Knox MT's(Russian Multitools) :D :D :D :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 12:55:33 PM
It is actually longer folded up, and a hair thinner then the surge. The Power Assist is a large MT.

Got about 40 minutes before I have to leave for work..but I think I can manage a few photos for you.

Surge V.S. Power Assist.

The above is not the best in focus photo, but I am in a hurry. Still have to take my shower, etc.

The Power Assist has two locks. You slide the secondary lock to lock the main lock secure. Slide it away from the main lock will enable the main lock to function. Push up on the main lock and the blade will pop out like the last photo. Gently open the blade, and then the spring will take over and POW, the blade is flicked open rather quickly. To unlock the blade, push down on the main lock and gently push the blade closed. You can then secure the main lock with the secondary to ensure no lopped off limbs during carry or use lol.

No clue what your local laws are.
I hope this has helped you in answering your questions.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 12:58:46 PM by Chako »

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 12:57:39 PM
cliosguy, the new PPP's and PPPD models have the new head. I am not sure if these have been relayed out to retail outlets yet or it's so new they are still producing them. Will only be a matter of time before we see them everywhere.

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 01:06:29 PM
It is actually longer folded up, and a hair thinner then the surge. The Power Assist is a large MT.

Got about 40 minutes before I have to leave for work..but I think I can manage a few photos for you.

(Image removed from quote.)
Surge V.S. Power Assist.

The above is not the best in focus photo, but I am in a hurry. Still have to take my shower, etc.

The Power Assist has two locks. You slide the secondary lock to lock the main lock secure. Slide it away from the main lock will enable the main lock to function. Push up on the main lock and the blade will pop out like the last photo. Gently open the blade, and then the spring will take over and POW, the blade is flicked open rather quickly. To unlock the blade, push down on the main lock and gently push the blade closed. You can then secure the main lock with the secondary to ensure no lopped off limbs during carry or use lol.

No clue what your local laws are.
I hope this has helped you in answering your questions.

Bloody marvelous of you mate  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:.
If I bought a powerassist & had it shipped to OZ it could get confiscated as it falls into the 'flick knife' category  :cry:
I love the look of it & it is BIG  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Thanks again for the nice shots mate.

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 01:53:04 PM
Superb mate, you've got me wanting to play with a SOG again.  :salute:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 07:02:02 PM
Great shots and review mate :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 11:02:32 PM
Great review and pictures :salute:
Prone to daydreaming.

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 11:09:47 PM
Great job!  :cheers:

What's odd is that your PowerLock has gear covers, piano locks, and the old plier head!  :o
B

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #15 on: June 09, 2009, 11:13:21 PM
it happened to me too :think:
A

us Offline Pacu

Reply #16 on: June 09, 2009, 11:42:05 PM
Those are great pics!  Looks very professional...not like my pics from a Toys R Us Hannah Montana kids camera >:( :D

I really like the paratool...mine looks like hell and it is becoming one of my favs.
:like:    :MTO:

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #17 on: June 09, 2009, 11:57:25 PM
Cheers for that Chako, you are providing lots of pron for everyone  :D

I have 2 paratools and they rock - by far my favourite EDC tools.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44