Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Spirit One-Hander

J-sews · 137 · 27428

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Spirit One-Hander
Reply #30 on: May 15, 2007, 05:00:28 AM
Thanks for the encouragement guys. I've not come up against any problems except lack of time.

(That, and my uncanny ability to start and half-finish several projects at once!)

I'll keep you posted.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #31 on: June 01, 2007, 03:30:06 AM
Finally found some time this week after hours to work on a new knife blade. It's my first one ever, so I'm going really slow and being really careful. Believe it or not, every single one of those bumps and notches around the pivot on the RH end are critical. Remove too much material in the wrong place and the blade opens too far, or it doesn't lock properly, or it closes too far and wrecks the knife edge. It's definitely been a learning experience.

Next step (I think?) is too rough-in the knife edge bevel. Then it's off to heat treat, then polish up nice and shiny, then sharpen the edge properly. 

This is all new to me, so if anyone has advice, please speak up!

still soft.jpg
* still soft.jpg (Filesize: 86.93 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #32 on: June 01, 2007, 03:31:17 AM
Very nice work so far Bob!

Damn those precise Swiss Engineers huh? :P

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline knife-man

Reply #33 on: June 01, 2007, 02:27:36 PM
polish it up before it goes to HT .. to at least 240 grit MINIMUM.

You will thank me later  ;).

looking good so far.
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #34 on: June 01, 2007, 02:33:54 PM
Have you gotten anywhere with the rivet issue yet?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline supratentorial

Reply #35 on: June 01, 2007, 03:33:46 PM
Next step (I think?) is too rough-in the knife edge bevel. ...if anyone has advice, please speak up!

The next step is to make some for your friends at multitool.org!  ...and one for me too!   :grin:

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: June 01, 2007, 05:38:19 PM
Dunno why but I really dislike the shape of that blade. I think you should have gone for the shape LM have put on their charge/surge/wave tools, just my personal preference.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #37 on: June 02, 2007, 12:05:33 AM
This shape is more akin to the OHT shape... gotta keep your mods at least partially traditional!

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #38 on: June 02, 2007, 03:43:33 PM
This shape is more akin to the OHT shape... gotta keep your mods at least partially traditional!

Def

Exactly what I was thinking. I'm trying to make my new blade resemble a scaled-down One Hand Trekker blade.

(here's a comparison shot some guy sent me a while ago)  :)
OHT.jpg
* OHT.jpg (Filesize: 61.75 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #39 on: June 02, 2007, 03:47:53 PM
Nice custom OHT... I wonder who belongs to that one! :P

So, where are the serrations on yours?  You have to put on the serrations so everyone can complain about them then grind them off!  :twak:

Def

Offline Garnett

Reply #40 on: June 05, 2007, 10:20:36 PM
Nice work J, still watching this thread with baited breath. Really hoping this works out - good to hear you're going slow - my mistake is always haste - and my engineer mates end up telling me smugly, over a pint, "Measure twice, cut once".

Not sure I would have gone for a OHT blade shape, but I respect your decision to keep it "pure" victorinox - classy.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #41 on: June 06, 2007, 03:11:49 AM
I am just wondering how hard it will be to convince him to send it to me for "evaluation" when it's done! :D

Def

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #42 on: June 06, 2007, 06:50:20 AM
He already promised it to me :)  It's a Michigan thing...
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #43 on: June 06, 2007, 12:27:47 PM
I wouldn't admit to that in public after the season the Tigers have had... but then I guess you guys are used to it! :P

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #44 on: June 06, 2007, 01:14:51 PM
Well that just made my decision a WHOLE LOT easier!   :angry:

PM me with your address when you get a moment Mike.   ;)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #45 on: June 06, 2007, 01:35:25 PM
Oh so now it's my fault you guys will never see a pennant? :P

Def

Offline Ice Tigre

Reply #46 on: October 11, 2007, 02:30:34 AM
Dredging an old topic....

Gonna stay out of the sports thing other than,  to  :twak: Def..   :P

How did this turn out Bob?   :pok:

I've found that I used the blade on my wave more than I thought;  by not having an easily opened blade on the spirit..

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #47 on: October 11, 2007, 03:14:08 AM

How did this turn out Bob?   :pok:

I've found that I used the blade on my wave more than I thought;  by not having an easily opened blade on the spirit..

This project got set on the back burner for a few months while I was working on the Multitool.org multitool. I dusted it off last week and finished up the "soft" work on my knife blade. Now it's off to heat treat being hardened.

After that, all it will need is polished and sharpened. This isn't something I feel comfortable doing myself, I'd rather have it done by a pro. Does anyone have any recommendations?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #48 on: October 11, 2007, 03:18:48 AM
Paul Bos is the undisputed master of heat treating, but I don't know if he would take something like that on.  I think he's pretty well a big time organization nowadays.

Other than that, I don't know of any that would be any better than any others.

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #49 on: October 11, 2007, 03:32:50 AM
Heat treat I've got covered. It's the polish and sharpening that I could use some assistance with.

(actually, the polishing and sharpening is something I could learn to do myself. But never having done either before, I don't want to screw up all the work I've got into this blade up to now!)  :P

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #50 on: October 11, 2007, 03:37:28 AM
Oh, well in that case, damned if I know! :P

You could try sending an email to Tom (Rotokid) as he's got all kinds of contacts that may be able to help out.

Def

Offline Ice Tigre

Reply #51 on: October 19, 2007, 05:52:27 AM
Polishing can be as simple as a sanding pad and a range of wet/dry(use with wd40 for a faster even cut) sandpaper, from a grit close to the finish before heat treat, up to around 600 or 800 for a satin finish. At every grit change, change the direction you sand by 90deg...

Then you can buff with a dremel, or some flitz and a soft cloth.

If you didn't find somebody willing to do it, and still need someone, drop me an e-mail...

:)

G.

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #52 on: December 23, 2007, 04:18:16 AM
now I've read this and got excited and it's not done yet!!! how can I enjoy my christmas.... :pok:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #53 on: December 23, 2007, 04:25:06 AM
now I've read this and got excited and it's not done yet!!! how can I enjoy my christmas.... :pok:

Ouch! That pokey stick is sharp!   :o

Okay, okay, I'll get it done next week. There won't be much going on at work between the holidays, so I should be able to commandeer one of the grinders and get this baby finished.

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #54 on: December 23, 2007, 04:28:51 AM

Ouch! That pokey stick is sharp!   :o

Okay, okay, I'll get it done next week. There won't be much going on at work between the holidays, so I should be able to commandeer one of the grinders and get this baby finished.

:D many will be happy! and for the record, you do really nice work mister, we have a nice mill and press and constructing a new Plasma CNC table, I will be trying some of your mods bro! your in MI ever have shermans ice cream in South Haven? it's the best ;)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #55 on: December 23, 2007, 04:33:47 AM
.....your in MI ever have shermans ice cream in South Haven? it's the best ;)

Yah-yah, you told me, but they're CLOSED!! :ahhh

Now I have to wait months for some Sherman's ice cream..... :cry: ;)

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #56 on: December 23, 2007, 04:54:32 AM
ohh I forgot, knew I asked somebody!  :P

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #57 on: April 04, 2008, 12:54:01 PM
I think Shermans is open now! and I hear they've got some nice weather this weekend!

and what ever happen to this Spirit Mod? :think:

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #58 on: April 04, 2008, 05:01:15 PM
Yeah Bob we wanna see a OH Spirit.  :pok: :pok:
I'm back!!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #59 on: April 05, 2008, 01:31:14 AM
Okay, okay! Jeez, I've only been working on this now for what......a couple of weeks? ::)

Heh-heh anyhow, here's where its at: Quite some time ago I finished shaping the blade. The pivot area is surprisingly complex in how it engages the Spirit's lock mechanism. (It gives me a whole new appreciation for Swiss precision manufacturing!) Afterwards the blade was surface ground to the proper thickness, then sent out for heat treat to 58 rockwell C.

That's where it stands now. I've been too much of a chicken to grind the final bevel on the blade, polish it, and sharpen it. It's just not something I've ever done before, and I don't want to screw up all the work I've done to this point.

Here's what it looks like assembled:

Function is great. The blade is easy to open one handed, just using the thumb hole. It does not interfere with the plier function at all. The only unforeseen problem is minor; the new blade blocks access to the nail nick on the awl. The knife blade has to be opened first in order to access the awl, which is no big deal I guess.

Bob

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%