Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Caterpiller TorqueMaster by KutMaster.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Caterpiller TorqueMaster by KutMaster.
on: June 20, 2009, 05:10:28 AM
I found this odd multi-tool at one of the local farm shops. I bought it because I was not aware of this type/shape of tool before, and it was rather intriguing.

What I found was a Caterpiller branded multi-tool produced by KutMaster called the TorqueMaster. The odd thing, and one I find a little interesting, is that my version seems to have a different tool set from KutMasters website, and those photos that are found in Multitool.org. However, it would look like the tool set is the same as the KutMaster Wrench-head multi-tool with the Caterpiller Torquemaster bit holder minus a few sockets. It looks like they amalgamated a few tool lines here. I am just not sure if my model is an anomaly, or they haven’t updated their web site lately.

Kutmaster has been around for quite some time. I found out that the general concept of this multi tool is a relatively old design.
Let us take a closer look at this interesting and odd multi-tool.

The TorqueMaster comes with a branded two pouch sheath. A smaller front pouch is used to store the 12 bits that are stored in a rubber organizer. The sheath also has a primary large pouch for the tool.

The TorqueMaster is an odd duck. It has two covers. One covering the folding tools, and another that covers an empty cavity. The cavity in the swing out arm can store up to 5 bits, or anything that would fit into the space. My thought, it could be the perfect location for a mini survival kit.

The bit holder is rather unique on this multi-tool. You can pivot the arm outwards to allow you to create a T handle. This would allow you to get a lot of Torque on a screw, for example.  The above photograph illustrates how one of the pliers handles pivot out to a maximum of 90 degrees. This of course does make using the pliers rather awkward.  It is strange to have one of the handles move out and in on you when using the pliers. For example, if you try to one hand the pliers, trying to open the pliers may result in just swinging the bit arm outwards…which is not the intended result.

The description from KutMaster’s web site regarding the Wrench-head multi-tool will have to suffice. Many of the tools on this model, I couldn’t even begin to describe.

“Functions Include: Needle nose pliers; wire cutters; gripper; files(fine/coarse); Small Gasjet Scrapper, Break Away Torque Handle; Clip Blade; Spark Plug Feeler Gauge; Awl/Hole Punch with Large Gasket Scraper; Serrated Sheepfoot Blade; 4 Hex Wreches 7/16", 3/8", 5/16", 1/4"; Locking "L" Cam Lock; Nylon Pouch; American/Metric Ruler; Magnetic bit holder; Locking Bit Compartment; 12 driver bits.”

Conclusion
The TorqueMaster by KutMaster, is an interesting multi-tool. The folding tools in particular have tight manufacturing tolerances.  There is a storage compartment that is large enough to hold 5 driver bits or anything that is small enough to fit.  Overall, a quality tool.

Pros:
-   Heavy duty.
-   Well made.
-   Interesting mix of folding tools geared towards mechanical work.
-   Bit storage compartment.
-   Folding T handle that allows excellent torque on a driver bit.
-   Very strong pliers.
Cons:
-   Weird folding driver bit/pliers handle design.
-   Heavy.
-   Non folding pliers, meaning the multi-tool is not compact.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 05:16:45 AM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Caterpiller TorqueMaster by KutMaster.
Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 05:14:37 AM
Good summary Chako! I'll bet the Torquemaster may just score high enough on the weird-o-meter to get MultiMat's attention! :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 05:17:48 AM
He probably already has one or three.  :D
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 05:22:59 AM
I have   multimaster & a needle nose version on way from scrappy. I love these tools , they are SOLID , great wire cutters , the L locks are simple & effective(like most great ideas/designs).I am a fan of these tools. The Cat's SOG like covers , I find very alluring  :ahhh :P :D :D
 :D :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 11:02:17 AM
Now that actually look pretty ergonomic :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 12:24:44 AM
Cool looking little tool you got there Chako :D Nice review and pics as usual :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%