Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Pocket Tech and Airports

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Pocket Tech and Airports
on: June 25, 2009, 07:18:58 AM
Has anyone ever attempted to take a Wenger Pocket Tech, or a Swiss Clipper AT through Airport Security?

If so did you get through? How did it all play out?
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Re: Pocket Tech and Airports
Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 08:14:12 AM
With security as crazy as it is now I think it can't be done. Remembered at a the Hong kong airport a passenger was asked to take off his belt because it has a gun image on the buckle. And my friend got her nail cutter confiscated before boarding.
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 11:45:09 AM
I would like to think that the Wenger clipper Air Travel would be OK, but I really wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't.
I'm back!!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 04:15:38 PM
Different countries have slightly different rules.  In the UK nothing would get through, nail files, blunt nosed scissors, corkscrew all get stopped.  Frankly though, I've never needed a tool in all the time I've been flying so I really don't find it a hassle.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 08:58:25 PM
Only tool I take through security is one of those tiny folding pliers with the screwdrivers on the handle ends.
Nothing sharp on there, and only $7 if they make up some new rule and take it anyway.
R

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 09:06:29 PM
I would like to think that the Wenger clipper Air Travel would be OK, but I really wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't.

The screwdriver is really pointy! Imagine the horror you can endure to the whole airplane, you could poke a hole on somebody's shirt!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 09:31:41 PM

The screwdriver is really pointy! Imagine the horror you can endure to the whole airplane, you could poke a hole on somebody's shirt!

::) :D :D :D

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 09:38:41 PM
Thanks guys, the reason I ask is I'm going to be flying in a few weeks and am trying to do only carry on luggage since they charge for checked baggage. I need to figure something out lest I be SAK-less.

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 09:47:34 PM
Thanks guys, the reason I ask is I'm going to be flying in a few weeks and am trying to do only carry on luggage since they charge for checked baggage. I need to figure something out lest I be SAK-less.

Just treat yourself to a new one at the other end and mail it back to yourself before you return.
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 09:53:07 PM

Hadn't thought of that!  :o :D
I'm back!!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 09:54:59 PM

Bet someone in Whitehall is taking notes though ::) :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 10:01:08 PM

Well the scissors have an edge so that's a no-no.  Clippers are the same.  The file is much to pointy, and the less said about the lethal looking screwdriver the better.  Best not to try and take that through any UK airport. :-\

Joking aside, most airlines will be able to provide details of what is acceptable or not depending on where you are flying though.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 10:04:42 PM
Well if they wouldn't let the Clipper AT on, I'd never have much hope carrying the kukri on board then.  ::) :D
I'm back!!

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 10:36:11 PM
My wife and I just recently traveled and I didn't try to get anything pass security.

My Mom on the other hand made it down to Florida with a Classic on her keyring and even after I told her
to check that for her flight home she didn't listen and got caught.

You know what a horrorable sight it is to strip search an 70+ woman? Images I will never get out of my head. :ahhh :ahhh

Always wanted a space pen and got a Bullet one I'm not even going to try to get it on a plane.

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: June 25, 2009, 10:51:08 PM

Just treat yourself to a new one at the other end and mail it back to yourself before you return.

That's likely what is to happen, just need to figure out where I want to go in or near Williamsburg, VA. I'll probably just find my closest Target there and get a Classic or something.

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #15 on: June 25, 2009, 10:53:03 PM
Always wanted a space pen and got a Bullet one I'm not even going to try to get it on a plane.

Umm, why would a simple pen not be allowed to be carried onto a plane? o.O

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #16 on: June 26, 2009, 12:01:16 AM

Umm, why would a simple pen not be allowed to be carried onto a plane? o.O

They don't even allow t-shirt with transformer hold a "gun" printed on it, or belt buckle with gun image. Do you really want to try a bullet shaped pen?

Offline tcolling

Reply #17 on: July 04, 2009, 04:55:20 PM
I have traveled by air within the United States at least 6 times in the past three years with Fisher bullet pens and my Wenger Swiss Clipper AT (Thanks, FelineVet! :D ) with no problems.  ONE time I was stopped by the TSA when they noticed the Wenger AT in my carry-on but after getting it out and examining it they pronounced it "ok" and let me proceed with it.

When I'm traveling by air I NEVER check bags* but if I'm going for a longer trip I often mail a SAK or two to my destination ahead of time and then I mail 'em back to my office  before I board the return flight.

We've also traveled on cruise ships from San Diego to Mexico a few times in the past few years and I've had no problem getting SAKs on board in my checked-on suitcases.***  Later, when we went ashore in Mexico and came back onto the ship, we had to go through ship's security including x-ray machines and metal detectors.  On those occasions I carried a modest SAK with me, such as a Sportsman (in case I lost it) and I'd put it in the "key chain tray" when passing through the security line.  They never said anything about it. 

- Tim  

* "I've never been to Buffalo, but my bags have."  <<< funny line I heard a comedian use once.  Once an airline lost my "gate-checked" bags** and I got them back two years later after the 9/11 attacks forced the airlines to really go and look at all the old luggage that had been sitting around unclaimed for a long time after they had mis-routed it to the wrong destination.  

After that I never checked bags on an air trip again.   Burn me once, shame on you.  Burn me twice, shame on me.

** "gate-checked" means that they didn't let me carry on bags that I wanted to carry on, because they claimed that all the carry-on storage spaces were full.  I didn't really willingly check them.  I won't ever do that again.  If the issue arises again, I'll skip the flight and fight the airline later for a refund of the fare.  Not that I'm bitter, or anything.  I just know better, now.

*** Checking suitcases onto a cruise ship (at the dock) is less risky than checking them onto an airplane, because there are fewer possible wrong destinations on a cruise ship.  Luggage DOES occasionally go astray on cruise ships, but not as often, in my experience.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 05:01:04 PM by tcolling »
B

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #18 on: July 04, 2009, 06:28:08 PM
Welcome aboard Tim :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: July 04, 2009, 11:58:32 PM
Welcome to the other side Tim ;)
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

Offline tcolling

Reply #20 on: July 04, 2009, 11:59:40 PM
Thanks.  I am a long time sosaker, but I figured I should finally check out m.o, since I just received my first multitool (a Vic Spirit X) (thanks, FelineVet Tim! :D )
B

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: July 12, 2009, 01:23:07 AM
I know this is a bit late but nice to see you here Tim.  :salute:

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #22 on: July 12, 2009, 02:54:50 AM
Welcome to the more expensive side of tools Tim, and a good first choice I might add. ::)
Got those frog legs.

Offline ecfiffer

Reply #23 on: July 12, 2009, 04:08:39 AM
That's likely what is to happen, just need to figure out where I want to go in or near Williamsburg, VA. I'll probably just find my closest Target there and get a Classic or something.

there are plenty of targets there... are you staying at kings mill?  i live right up the road in richmond... lemme know where your are staying and i'll see if i can find a target close for you
'

us Offline bren10man

Reply #24 on: July 14, 2009, 11:34:07 AM
I didn't take a chance....we left my wife's Swiss Clipper AT at at home when we flew to the states the last 2 weeks. (wife and kiddies flew on the 1st, I flew on the 10th).

I put in my check-on bag my Champion and my newly-purchased Money Clip.  They made it just fine.

I ain't taking no chances with GED-educated, at best, TSA, hired due to some "stimulous package" (Atlanta airport is FULL of these types, they harrassed my wife flying by herself with our 2 children, one a 5 month old...bad folks!!!).   However, I DID put in my check-on bags: 3x Cohiba, 3x Romeo y Julietta, and 3x Partegas Series D Cuban cigars.......and they made it here JUST fine!!!!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 11:36:44 AM by bren10man »
MOLON LABE!

Offline tcolling

Reply #25 on: July 16, 2009, 06:26:17 AM
I didn't take a chance....we left my wife's Swiss Clipper AT at at home when we flew to the states the last 2 weeks. (wife and kiddies flew on the 1st, I flew on the 10th)....

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have traveled by air within the United States at least 6 times in the past three years with Fisher bullet pens and my Wenger Swiss Clipper AT (Thanks, FelineVet! :D ) with no problems.  ONE time I was stopped by the TSA when they noticed the Wenger AT in my carry-on but after getting it out and examining it they pronounced it "ok" and let me proceed with it.
B

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD