Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

spartan lite upgrade.

gb Offline craggus2000

Re: spartan lite upgrade.
Reply #30 on: March 11, 2019, 10:39:34 PM
I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but to use one battery you don't need to change anything apart from have both batteries facing positive upwards! No wire bending required.

:facepalm:

The conductor on the door effectively uses the metal of the second battery as a conductor so only the battery nearest the led is actually used. The one furthest away isn't used as the negative is not connected to anything so that's the spare one.

Bingo, 3v instead of 6v.  :2tu:
-
Craggus2000

"If it ain't broke, break it and make it better!

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: March 12, 2019, 09:34:48 PM
I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but to use one battery you don't need to change anything apart from have both batteries facing positive upwards! No wire bending required.

The conductor on the door effectively uses the metal of the second battery as a conductor so only the battery nearest the led is actually used. The one furthest away isn't used as the negative is not connected to anything so that's the spare one.

:D

Always nice when the light comes on!

:tu: :tu:
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: March 12, 2019, 09:41:38 PM
And just for those interested in the dates and history, The new case shows up in '12 , but the newer brighter LED shows up in '13 and the clear one I have is dated '17.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #33 on: March 12, 2019, 11:04:15 PM

Awesome! :like:

Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline NJSailor

Reply #34 on: March 14, 2019, 02:07:11 AM

Hi fellas,

So I have a Spartan Lite that I would like to mod as well.  I have plenty of 3.6v LED's to work with.  My question is more how to get the whole thing apart.  Do I have disassemble the entire knife to get at the LED bulb?  I've never taken apart a SAK before and it seems daunting.  Also, if I understand correctly I pretty much just have to flip the rear battery around and now the LED is running off just one battery and now there is a spare?  Thanks for any and all clarifications! 

ca Offline armi101

Reply #35 on: March 14, 2019, 03:51:25 AM
You have to take it apart to change the led.

One thing ive been thinking about. I wonder why victorinox hasn't done this themselves. Really they could keep eveything the same and change the led to a higer mcd and it improves the utility of the flashlight. The tool set doest have to change.

From what i have read of reviews of the spartan lite most complaints are weak light, and expensive batteries. I wonder if the batteries would seem so expensive if the light worked better..

Id like to see.
Climber lite
Compact lite (this was a mod I did)
Explorer lite

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: March 14, 2019, 04:40:22 PM
You have to take it apart to change the led.

One thing ive been thinking about. I wonder why victorinox hasn't done this themselves. Really they could keep eveything the same and change the led to a higer mcd and it improves the utility of the flashlight. The tool set doest have to change.

From what i have read of reviews of the spartan lite most complaints are weak light, and expensive batteries. I wonder if the batteries would seem so expensive if the light worked better..

Id like to see.
Climber lite
Compact lite (this was a mod I did)
Explorer lite

The newer Lites starting sometime in '13 *are* brighter! I posted about that earlier. Not super bright, but definitely brighter than earlier models.

I agree with your suggestion for more models with the lite module.  There is sort-of a Climber lite with the late model Traveller (and older Voyager), but it also comes with electronic scales.  I love mine and do use them on trips.

I have a tendency to want Lites on larger models too. I modded a Troubleshooter with a Lite and think they should make a Champion and Champ Lite too.  I like my CT lite, but it's missing both saws and I think a CT41 Lite would be too big.  I'm working on another mod now that will be pretty big and include a lite.

gb Offline craggus2000

Reply #37 on: March 15, 2019, 10:46:50 PM
So I did the led mod a few days ago to fit in to a sak mod I've just finished (more on that in a few days  >:D ) and the results are astounding!

The 2 pics below were taken in an otherwise pitch black room. I forgot to take 'before' pics, but needless to say the original led was like a p***hole in the snow.

Also the new led runs on 1x 3v battery so I can carry a spare within the lite module now  :woohoo:
IMG_20190315_213718_resized_20190315_094050940.jpg
* IMG_20190315_213718_resized_20190315_094050940.jpg (Filesize: 268.65 KB)
IMG_20190315_213909.jpg
* IMG_20190315_213909.jpg (Filesize: 48.83 KB)
-
Craggus2000

us Offline NJSailor

Reply #38 on: March 16, 2019, 01:26:52 AM
So I did the led mod a few days ago to fit in to a sak mod I've just finished (more on that in a few days  >:D ) and the results are astounding!

The 2 pics below were taken in an otherwise pitch black room. I forgot to take 'before' pics, but needless to say the original led was like a p***hole in the snow.

Also the new led runs on 1x 3v battery so I can carry a spare within the lite module now  :woohoo:

Wow, that is phenomenal!  So I really want to do this mod on my spartan lite.  I have plenty of LED's  (I work on circuit boards used in music equipment)  but I have never taken apart a SAK before.  Do I need parts to reassemble the knife?  From the little research I've done it seems I will need to drill out the brass pins.  Thanks in advance for the help!

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #39 on: March 16, 2019, 02:38:41 AM
Wow, that is phenomenal!  So I really want to do this mod on my spartan lite.  I have plenty of LED's  (I work on circuit boards used in music equipment)  but I have never taken apart a SAK before.  Do I need parts to reassemble the knife?  From the little research I've done it seems I will need to drill out the brass pins.  Thanks in advance for the help!

Nope, you don't have to disassemble it. I think every part of the LED light can be accessed by removing just the battery cover.

ca Offline armi101

Reply #40 on: March 16, 2019, 02:58:48 AM
Unfortunately I think this incorrect (at least on my model). You cannot remove the led without taking apart the housing as the led lip is secured by the housing...ie. you need to remove the pins to seperate the housing to change the led.

us Offline NJSailor

Reply #41 on: March 16, 2019, 04:09:31 AM
I agree,  there appears to be no way to get the LED bulb out without taking the knife apart.

pt Offline FInixNOver

Reply #42 on: November 17, 2019, 12:19:23 AM
Let's bring this topic alive with one question.
Does anyone have a link to a source for the LED?
I'm quite capable of doing the mod, just not sure about which LED to use...

gb Offline craggus2000

Reply #43 on: November 17, 2019, 12:47:44 AM
No
Let's bring this topic alive with one question.
Does anyone have a link to a source for the LED?
I'm quite capable of doing the mod, just not sure about which LED to use...
Pm'd you as not sure if I'm allowed to post the link.
-
Craggus2000

pt Offline FInixNOver

Reply #44 on: November 17, 2019, 12:55:31 AM
NoPm'd you as not sure if I'm allowed to post the link.
Thanks! Replied.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5

00 Offline undertaker99

Reply #45 on: May 29, 2020, 03:24:38 PM
And just for those interested in the dates and history, The new case shows up in '12 , but the newer brighter LED shows up in '13 and the clear one I have is dated '17.
i just bought a spartan lite from amazon.com and i got the grey case.  How do I get one with the clear case?  do I have to order it from swissarmy.com because the only picture I could find on the internet of the clear case is the pic from swissarmy.com zoomed in real close.   
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 03:48:30 PM by undertaker99 »

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: May 29, 2020, 06:46:03 PM
i just bought a spartan lite from amazon.com and i got the grey case.  How do I get one with the clear case?  do I have to order it from swissarmy.com because the only picture I could find on the internet of the clear case is the pic from swissarmy.com zoomed in real close.
Urf. That’s disappointing. I would like to think old stock would be cleared out by now. I’d hope ordering direct would work or a higher volume shop? Like SKS?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%