Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK's - Corkscrew or Phillips?

Benner · 295 · 35099

Poll

Which do you prefer on the backspring of your SAK's?

Corkscrew
137 (46.4%)
Phillips
129 (43.7%)
I have no preference
29 (9.8%)

Total Members Voted: 286

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: SAK's - Corkscrew or Phillips?
Reply #270 on: July 30, 2018, 09:40:24 PM
When I figured out that the can opener is a good #2 Phillips driver I've switched sides to the corkscrew team  :salute:

In that regard the Outrider with its #0/1 inline Phillips and corkscrew suddenly makes a lot of sense to me  :D

Also I have to deal more with glasses lately (mini screwdriver) and as shown a couple of posts up, I do use the corkscrew in autumn/winter often to untie wet laces after riding my bike in rain.

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #271 on: July 30, 2018, 09:43:59 PM
When I figured out that the can opener is a good #2 Phillips driver I've switched sides to the corkscrew team  :salute:

In that regard the Outrider with its #0/1 inline Phillips and corkscrew suddenly makes a lot of sense to me  :D

(Image removed from quote.)

Also I have to deal more with glasses lately (mini screwdriver) and as shown a couple of posts up, I do use the corkscrew in autumn/winter often to untie wet laces after riding my bike in rain.
:like: :tu: :D

That Outrider looks great!
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #272 on: July 30, 2018, 10:14:46 PM
Cheers El C.
It's the slide lock version still.
I prefer the more sturdy saw and the sewing eye on the awl  :salute:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #273 on: July 30, 2018, 10:49:10 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

:like: :tu: :D

That Outrider looks great!
+1  :like: :like: :like:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #274 on: July 31, 2018, 08:08:39 AM
 :cheers:

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #275 on: July 31, 2018, 09:55:26 AM
Overall, the corkscrew gets my vote for its multiple uses and heritage. A back tooled 84/85/91mm SAK looks kind of wrong to me without one. But it does make the knife less comfortable in hand and in pocket. Some of the old fluted ones, which otherwise I like for their appearance, can be downright painful! :td: (an installed mini SD helps a little). I gave my nephew a small Tinker and was surprised at how much more comfortable it was to use than my Sportsman.

I've been using a Camper a lot lately and am so tired of the CS gouging my palm and thumb that I'm waiting for a Hiker to hitch a lift to my pocket.  :tu:
Rambler

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #276 on: February 15, 2020, 03:58:11 PM
Resurrecting an old thread...

The ongoing Fieldmaster challenge has sparked my interest in this age old question....

I've preferred the corkscrew, in theory, for many years... Since in reality I have EDCed an alox soldier for the better part of 12 years and carried neither one.

My theoretical preference for the corkscrew has made me partial to the Huntsman over the Fieldmaster.  But alas, last month I have my Huntsman to a friend and now there's a gap in my collection.  The Fieldmaster just might fill that space.  But I'm not sure... I definitely use the micro SD in the corkscrew, that's for certain. I don't suppose I keep a mental note of every time I use the can opener as a Phillips, or the corkscrew.  :think:

Fellow Knights! :SAKnight: :SAKnight:
I call upon thee to use the upcoming SAK Stack challenge to help answer this question!
Carve a notch in your walking staff for each time you make a kill with the corkscrew or the Phillips!

At the end, we may have a better idea of what tool is better as an EDC.  Understanding that neither tool is ideal or perfect... That normal people 😂 would reach for an actual screwdriver or wine opener if given the chance, and conversely, that most of us use the corkscrew as a marlinspike...  Percieved need aside, which tool is actually more useful in the pocket for whatever reason arises. Which tool is the duct tape in your kit?

us Offline 39hotrod

• No Life Club
Reply #277 on: February 15, 2020, 04:29:12 PM
I have more use for a Philips sc than a CS.. Kinda avoid SAKs with the CS but do have a few.. As an eyeglass wearer (55yrs) I have never needed a eyeglass screwdriver that I can remember.. So don't need a CS to hold the tiny screwdriver..
All who wander are not lost..

It only take a little bit of sharp..

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #278 on: February 15, 2020, 04:42:17 PM
Phillips by a long shot - and with that being said...I rarely use either when I do carry them. The blades, sissors, and saw get the most use.

us Offline Steelej1976

Reply #279 on: February 24, 2020, 05:12:44 PM
For the type of work I do (electronics) the Phillips is my choice.  The can opener works good for most Phillips screws but I find I frequently run into recessed screws.  The T handle isn't great but the backside Phillips can access deeper recessed screws better then say a Leatherman Wave.  It's not perfect but in a pinch it works good and I do find I use it over the can opener whenever I can. 

I will say though I currently EDC a Super Tinker (which I love), I have been looking at getting a Sportsman or Climber just because the Corkscrew is cool!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #280 on: February 24, 2020, 06:46:30 PM
Welcome to :MTO:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #281 on: February 25, 2020, 05:29:27 AM
For the type of work I do (electronics) the Phillips is my choice.  The can opener works good for most Phillips screws but I find I frequently run into recessed screws.  The T handle isn't great but the backside Phillips can access deeper recessed screws better then say a Leatherman Wave.  It's not perfect but in a pinch it works good and I do find I use it over the can opener whenever I can. 

I will say though I currently EDC a Super Tinker (which I love), I have been looking at getting a Sportsman or Climber just because the Corkscrew is cool!

Welcome aboard!   :cheers:

You might consider an Explorer, which would get you the corkscrew (which is cool  8) ) & end-mounted Phillips.

us Offline Steelej1976

Reply #282 on: February 25, 2020, 05:09:23 PM
Welcome aboard!   :cheers:

You might consider an Explorer, which would get you the corkscrew (which is cool  8) ) & end-mounted Phillips.

Thanks! I was considering the Explorer just not sure about that extra layer.  The Spartan Lite looked interesting too but don't know how great that light would actually be.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #283 on: February 25, 2020, 05:36:08 PM
Thanks! I was considering the Explorer just not sure about that extra layer.  The Spartan Lite looked interesting too but don't know how great that light would actually be.

My experience (as long as the SAKs all have 4 layers or fewer) is that adding or subtracting a layer feels weird for a while, and then you get used to it, but YMMV.  Some people have a “hard limit” of 3 or even 2 layers.  Five or more layers never felt right in the hand to me, but some folks happily EDC a Swisschamp.

The lights/lites are not great, especially by modern LED flashlight standards.  IMO, if you need a small light, you’re much better off with a dedicated 1xAAA keychain light.  C’mon down to the Flashlight sub forum if you want specific suggestions.

us Offline Steelej1976

Reply #284 on: February 26, 2020, 03:22:40 AM

My experience (as long as the SAKs all have 4 layers or fewer) is that adding or subtracting a layer feels weird for a while, and then you get used to it, but YMMV.  Some people have a “hard limit” of 3 or even 2 layers.  Five or more layers never felt right in the hand to me, but some folks happily EDC a Swisschamp.

The lights/lites are not great, especially by modern LED flashlight standards.  IMO, if you need a small light, you’re much better off with a dedicated 1xAAA keychain light.  C’mon down to the Flashlight sub forum if you want specific suggestions.

Thanks again.  You really got me thinking about that Explorer now, not that I needed to much convincing, lol. 

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #285 on: February 26, 2020, 05:11:37 AM
Having a phillips capable of working with recessed screws has always been a requirement for me, but I also don't have much use for the nose hair trimming capabilities of 91mm scissors and thus bought an old Explorer Plus for a few bucks and removed the wasteful scissors layer. It is really easy to do.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #286 on: February 26, 2020, 06:07:32 AM
Thanks again.  You really got me thinking about that Explorer now, not that I needed to much convincing, lol.

One of us!  One of us!  One of us!

:D

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #287 on: February 26, 2020, 06:16:37 PM
Having a phillips capable of working with recessed screws has always been a requirement for me, but I also don't have much use for the nose hair trimming capabilities of 91mm scissors and thus bought an old Explorer Plus for a few bucks and removed the wasteful scissors layer. It is really easy to do.

I often have two SAK scissors with me... I use the smaller 58mm scissors for the recessed nose hairs.   :dwts:

de Offline ulzhan

• No Life Club
  • The Spirit of Central Asia
Reply #288 on: February 26, 2020, 07:46:50 PM
I prefer both.

us Offline The Scrounger

Reply #289 on: May 28, 2020, 04:26:29 AM
Thought I would let everyone know where stand on this debate!

As a kid I was always in the phillips driver camp because I believed the corkscrew was only useful for one thing and didn't know at the time that the can opener tip worked on phillips heads. This ideology did persuade me to ask for a Craftsman for Christmas when I was 14 though! After reading and learning about the can opener tip, I have been leaning towards the corkscrew camp ever since. Both tools do have their advantages, and makes deciding which knife to carry difficult at times.

Here's where I stand on each tool:

Phillips Driver:
Seems to only work in low-torque situations or else you can feel the liners starting to bend. Great for some recessed screws. T-handle is awkward and cumbersome at times, as many have already stated. Works well to loosen double-knots on my Five-Ten mountain bike shoes versus the CS. The laces are wide like on a skateboard shoe and the CS just pokes a hole in the middle. Also it works way better than the CS as a bike/car Schrader valve air-down tool. For those two reasons alone is why I carry an 84mm Tinker on my rides.

I have actually done a lot of research into fastener types and a major problem with the Phillips is the fastener design itself. Not sure how it ever became so popular, but it seems like either the driver or fastener, whichever has the softer steel, gets damaged if the fastener is too tight. Phillips drivers are disposed of more frequently than other types, in my experience and I've encountered so many soft Phillips screws where the driver just eats away at it and you cannot get it loose! There are much better fastener types out there.

Corkscrew:
I have not yet had the chance to use it for its intended purpose, as there is usually a dedicated one in the kitchen. I recently cleaned my bike's bottom bracket and needed a tool to get the leftover dirty grease out of the threads. The only tool I had lying around that could do the job without damaging the aluminum threads was the 5-turn CS on an early 1970's Spartan. Afterwards, I tried the CS on my modern Spartan and discovered that the tip was not as sharp as the old one and did not fit between the threads. Not to mention the fact that the old one sits slightly more flush. So even among Victorinox corkscrews, the old design is much better IMO. In addition to cleaning threads, I have used the CS to remove old o-rings and even as a split ring tool for heavy-duty rings and even a stubborn spring.

Nowadays in my EDC I prefer to to carry a SAK with a CS due to possibly needing to save the day at a party as well as the ingenuity purposes. The Phillips driver SAK's make good gifts for kids, because they may think as I once did about the corkscrew!

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #290 on: May 28, 2020, 05:30:26 AM
Thought I would let everyone know where stand on this debate!

As a kid I was always in the phillips driver camp because I believed the corkscrew was only useful for one thing and didn't know at the time that the can opener tip worked on phillips heads. This ideology did persuade me to ask for a Craftsman for Christmas when I was 14 though! After reading and learning about the can opener tip, I have been leaning towards the corkscrew camp ever since. Both tools do have their advantages, and makes deciding which knife to carry difficult at times.

Here's where I stand on each tool:

Phillips Driver:
Seems to only work in low-torque situations or else you can feel the liners starting to bend. Great for some recessed screws. T-handle is awkward and cumbersome at times, as many have already stated. Works well to loosen double-knots on my Five-Ten mountain bike shoes versus the CS. The laces are wide like on a skateboard shoe and the CS just pokes a hole in the middle. Also it works way better than the CS as a bike/car Schrader valve air-down tool. For those two reasons alone is why I carry an 84mm Tinker on my rides.

I have actually done a lot of research into fastener types and a major problem with the Phillips is the fastener design itself. Not sure how it ever became so popular, but it seems like either the driver or fastener, whichever has the softer steel, gets damaged if the fastener is too tight. Phillips drivers are disposed of more frequently than other types, in my experience and I've encountered so many soft Phillips screws where the driver just eats away at it and you cannot get it loose! There are much better fastener types out there.

Corkscrew:
I have not yet had the chance to use it for its intended purpose, as there is usually a dedicated one in the kitchen. I recently cleaned my bike's bottom bracket and needed a tool to get the leftover dirty grease out of the threads. The only tool I had lying around that could do the job without damaging the aluminum threads was the 5-turn CS on an early 1970's Spartan. Afterwards, I tried the CS on my modern Spartan and discovered that the tip was not as sharp as the old one and did not fit between the threads. Not to mention the fact that the old one sits slightly more flush. So even among Victorinox corkscrews, the old design is much better IMO. In addition to cleaning threads, I have used the CS to remove old o-rings and even as a split ring tool for heavy-duty rings and even a stubborn spring.

Nowadays in my EDC I prefer to to carry a SAK with a CS due to possibly needing to save the day at a party as well as the ingenuity purposes. The Phillips driver SAK's make good gifts for kids, because they may think as I once did about the corkscrew!

Welcome!   :cheers:

I'm firmly in the CS camp myself, finding it (as you have) good for a myriad of tasks, while the backside Philips is rather limited in its application.  Should you have to use it for its namesake purpose, I can assure you from personal experience it performs quite adequately.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #291 on: May 28, 2020, 05:37:50 AM
I'm solely in the "if drivers are so important, just buy a CyberTool thread", but as I mature as an SAK enthusiast, I'm now chaning my answer to "neither"; as the only factory Alox with any backside tool is the Dutch Air Force Master Craftsman, and it has Phillips.  Otherwise, with Cellidor, corkscrew on modern, Phillips on vintage (due to the file, and forged design).

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #292 on: May 28, 2020, 01:39:07 PM
It's about time Victorinox killed this topic by inventing the Phillips-Corkscrew combo tool. A corkscrew with a Phillips at the end of it.
You know you want it!

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #293 on: May 28, 2020, 08:30:00 PM
It's about time Victorinox killed this topic by inventing the Phillips-Corkscrew combo tool. A corkscrew with a Phillips at the end of it.
You know you want it!

:rofl:

Since the Phillips is useless anyway, it could be installed also at the beginning of the corkscrew.  :D

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #294 on: May 28, 2020, 08:31:59 PM

Since the Phillips is useless anyway, it could be installed also at the beginning of the corkscrew.  :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD