Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK's - Corkscrew or Phillips?

Benner · 295 · 34521

Poll

Which do you prefer on the backspring of your SAK's?

Corkscrew
137 (46.4%)
Phillips
129 (43.7%)
I have no preference
29 (9.8%)

Total Members Voted: 286

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Re: SAK's - Corkscrew or Phillips?
Reply #90 on: October 25, 2013, 12:31:34 AM
Besides, it's worth noting that here in Canada we use an awful lot of Robertson screws.

What on earth...! I've never even heard of Robertson screws. You have screws with a square slot? The only time I've seen this in Europe is on trains. They have big square slots on knobs they don't want passengers to mess with...

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #91 on: October 25, 2013, 12:49:42 AM
With the exception of drywall screws and electronics screws, Robertsons are basically the standard up here, and have been for a very long time. They are far harder to strip than Phillips screws.

us Offline hugh_h

Reply #92 on: October 25, 2013, 02:11:53 AM
I like having the corkscrew on the backspring and the Philips on the main side. On the main side, the screwdriver opens all the way--that lets you reach into a tighter area. On the backside, the knife acts as a T-handle, and can get in the way of screwdriving.

au Offline fozzy_au

Reply #93 on: October 25, 2013, 05:16:31 AM
Most of the other Vic tools do their job really well so it is surprising to find people so tolerant of the second-rate solutions they have for handling Philips screws. As far as I can see, two SAKs have usable philips drivers... and neither of them are particarly skinny.

I love everything about the knives I've got and am constantly stunned by the quality of the tools you can get for pennies. It just baffles me that in all these years Victorinox has consistently shunned the most useful tool of them all , the philips head screwdriver.

I think part of the trouble with the inline phillips head is that it requires a thick layer, and since it only takes up half the length of the knife they need to pair it with another thick tool such as the magnifying glass on the Explorer, Champion and Swiss Champs or the LED on the Huntsman Lite.  Both of those tools seemed to be maligned by many people.

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #94 on: October 25, 2013, 05:56:10 AM
I think part of the trouble with the inline phillips head is that it requires a thick layer, and since it only takes up half the length of the knife they need to pair it with another thick tool such as the magnifying glass on the Explorer, Champion and Swiss Champs or the LED on the Huntsman Lite.  Both of those tools seemed to be maligned by many people.

Yeah, I just noticed for the 1st time the Mountaineer Lite - I bet it's a beast in person, but it has the Phillips driver in a semi-sane configuration. Downside, it's as wide as an aircraft carrier and has one of those dimmest-light-ever-made-LEDs on it.

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #95 on: October 25, 2013, 06:01:22 AM
I think the reason SAKs are addictive is the perfect one doesn't exist... the one you don't have holds the promise of being perfect, which of course it never is.

So there you go. You're all heroin addicts in disguise. :D

nz Offline KiwiMark

Reply #96 on: October 25, 2013, 11:21:32 AM
Vic offers an inline Phillips on the Champ and Explorer, the tinker series has a t-mounted Phillips driver, the can opener tool can just about fit into any Phillips screw out there, and the Cybertools and Swisstools have torx and Phillips bits. I’m not sure how one could see Vic as being hostile towards Philips screws.  :think:

You have missed a few:
Minichamp
Rambler
Manager
Midnite Manager
Rally

Probably more as well.

There are also the Victorinox SwissTool and SwissTool multitools that all have Phillips screwdrivers.
"Mr. Carl Elsener and his Victorinox brand of knives is the undisputed king of knives in the world today."

- Sal Glesser (Bladeforums - 8 Jan 2011)

00 Offline undertaker99

Reply #97 on: January 22, 2016, 08:25:27 AM
Another corkscrew preference here. Love being able to carry the eyeglass screwdriver. And so many models have the can opener with the driver that can handle many philips screws.

if the screw is torqued too tight & you slip u can damage the can opener and the screw

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #98 on: January 22, 2016, 11:34:14 AM
Another corkscrew preference here. Love being able to carry the eyeglass screwdriver. And so many models have the can opener with the driver that can handle many philips screws.

if the screw is torqued too tight & you slip u can damage the can opener and the screw

And if the screw is torqued too tight, you can with surprising ease screw up the peening of the knife with the backmounted Philips. ;) We have some threads lying around with pictures and expletives somewhere around this place. :)

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #99 on: January 22, 2016, 11:43:10 AM
This is the thread that keeps coming back to life.

The whole world is held together with phillips screws, not wine corks.   :salute:

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #100 on: January 22, 2016, 12:01:48 PM
This is the thread that keeps coming back to life.

The whole world is held together with phillips screws, not wine corks.   :salute:

The Philips screw is slowly being replaced, while the need for a good wine rather seems to grow. :D

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #101 on: January 22, 2016, 12:03:23 PM
I guess that if one drinks enough wine, he no longer cares if screws need tightening. 

I may test that theory.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #102 on: January 22, 2016, 12:07:54 PM
 :popcorn:

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #103 on: January 22, 2016, 12:08:24 PM
I guess that if one drinks enough wine, he no longer cares if screws need tightening. 

I may test that theory.

What screws?  :drink:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #104 on: January 22, 2016, 12:14:42 PM
I am totally sold on the in-line philips, and the corkscrew driver (as a glasses wearer). I use the in-line philips regularly and wouldn't feel ok putting the same pressure on the back-side driver - more likely to shear/distort.

The CS can also be used to house a temporary lanyard;

'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #105 on: January 22, 2016, 04:19:17 PM
Logic path:

I like SAKs
SAK pliers can't handle what I need pliers to do
I need to carry a pliers tool
The pliers tool will usually have a Phillips and assorted flat drivers
The pliers tool is unlikely to have a corkscrew
The pliers tool is unlikely to have scissors as good as a SAK
My SAK should have scissors and a corkscrew

This formula works very well for me indeed

That said, I have found that a Gerber Dime is sometimes all I need on the pliers front, and as such have been considering a DofE with a blade modification. If I do this, it will be the only SAK with backspring Phillips I carry (except for the Mega84 which has both backspring Phillips AND corkscrew)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #106 on: January 22, 2016, 05:24:43 PM
Excellent logic!!!
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #107 on: January 22, 2016, 05:30:59 PM
Logic path:

I like SAKs

I have a modified formula, the scissors goes in a Swisscard, but otherwise I fully agree with you!

bavaria Offline Humppa

Reply #108 on: January 22, 2016, 05:49:24 PM
Old thread, but the topic seems to be not discussed to its end it seems... will this ever be possible here?!

I doubt...

But as it goes for me - I have no preference. I like 'em both. The canopener is a good phillipshead screwdriver. The backlayer one is a good one as well, but too much pressure is not fine for it. I use the backlayer one mostly when unscrewing something.

But nothing beats the good ol' inlayer phillipshead like on the Explorer on the Swisschamp.

The corkscrew is fine for untying knots of shoelaces that are maybe wet and very well tied together, so that they are actually bombproof. I´m no wine drinker - being a bavarian, I highly appreciate good beverage. But the small eyeglass screwdriver is also used for me to open the tools on the SAK when I cut my nails too short and I can hardly reach nailnicks, or when the hands are really cold, a great little tool there.

So each has its pros and cons.

It is a tie for me  :cheers:
You can call me Papa Andi

R.I.P. Lemmy Kilmister 24th Dec 1945 - 28th Dec 2015

us Offline cody6268

Reply #109 on: January 22, 2016, 05:53:57 PM
Phillips driver.  It can handle No. 1 and No. 2 Phillips, unlike the inline model which can only handle No. 2. The can opener can handle No. 2s on models that do not have a Phillips, (i.e. Soldier '61, Spartan), but is limited by the fact it can't reach recessed screws.

Sure, I often carry a pliers based tool, but almost as often as I carry it, I usually leave it behind. I only have two models with corkscrew out of my almost one dozen SAK collection--German Army Knife and Explorer.  GAK I usually carry because it's so light and thin, and the Explorer because I do occasionally use the mag lens.

The Duke of Edinburgh Award Tool I've considered getting myself--problem is the darn idiot-proofed blunt tip blade, and since I don't think I have the skills to reprofile it, guess I'm stuck with that blade.  At least that blade would be better for emergency situations and when I'm in extremely close quarters to others.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 05:57:15 PM by cody6268 »

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #110 on: January 22, 2016, 06:17:11 PM
Corkscrew all the way!!!

I actually use mine frequently, as Mrs. sLaughter is a wine drinker, and more often than not my SAK with CS is closer than a dedicated Corkscrew. Plus, I enjoy any excuse to use my SAKs and multis, so I actually get enjoyment out of a bottle of wine I otherwise wouldnt get anything out of (im more of a beer and liquor guy).

The corkscrew makes a decent marline spike as well, which is important when you have kids with shoes with laces.:tu:
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #111 on: January 22, 2016, 11:02:05 PM
Logic path:

I like SAKs

That said, I have found that a Gerber Dime is sometimes all I need on the pliers front, and as such have been considering a DofE with a blade modification. If I do this, it will be the only SAK with backspring Phillips I carry (except for the Mega84 which has both backspring Phillips AND corkscrew)

This does make sense to me too.  If I'm carrying a Rebar, for example, then it is complimented by carrying the SAK with a cork crew and scissors.

Then Victorinox went and blew that whole line of logic to hell by putting out the Spirit which has their excellent scissors, and an optional accessory cork screw.   :climber:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #112 on: January 24, 2016, 08:18:27 PM
Phillips driver.  It can handle No. 1 and No. 2 Phillips, unlike the inline model which can only handle No. 2. The can opener can handle No. 2s on models that do not have a Phillips, (i.e. Soldier '61, Spartan), but is limited by the fact it can't reach recessed screws.

Sure, I often carry a pliers based tool, but almost as often as I carry it, I usually leave it behind. I only have two models with corkscrew out of my almost one dozen SAK collection--German Army Knife and Explorer.  GAK I usually carry because it's so light and thin, and the Explorer because I do occasionally use the mag lens.

The Duke of Edinburgh Award Tool I've considered getting myself--problem is the darn idiot-proofed blunt tip blade, and since I don't think I have the skills to reprofile it, guess I'm stuck with that blade.  At least that blade would be better for emergency situations and when I'm in extremely close quarters to others.

I've been playing around with how to reprofile it. It seems a 2p coin makes a reasonable template for marking out a kind of sheepsfoot style (see pics below)
IMG_20160121_222802_1067_800.jpg
* IMG_20160121_222802_1067_800.jpg (Filesize: 63.63 KB)
IMG_20160121_222917_1067_800.jpg
* IMG_20160121_222917_1067_800.jpg (Filesize: 44.86 KB)
IMG_20160121_223042_1067_800.jpg
* IMG_20160121_223042_1067_800.jpg (Filesize: 62.86 KB)
IMG_20160121_223241_1067_800.jpg
* IMG_20160121_223241_1067_800.jpg (Filesize: 70.43 KB)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #113 on: January 24, 2016, 09:44:18 PM
I thought I'd weighed in last time this thread surfaced :think:  But I've changed my mind since then anyway...I used to be 100% in the phillips camp, then came to realize when you need a corkscrew, you NEED a corkscrew.  Whereas the phillips can be managed with the can opener.

So if I have a second tool with me, the SAK needs a corkscrew/mini SD.  All of my kit/bag/car SAKs are CS models.  However, around the house, I usually carry a SAK by itself, and it needs to have a phillips (Super Tinker/Evo 16).  I have a corkscrew in the kitchen, and the back side phillips is great for replacing kids' toy batteries.

Also, that sheepsfoot looks like a great idea :tu:

fi Offline temo

Reply #114 on: January 24, 2016, 10:56:53 PM
Both are important but I did choose philips. Mostly because corkscrew often mess the use and carry a bit. I would rather have a bit bigger tool where corkscrew is inside scales. Or seperately carried in sheath like in swisstool. Tool itself is good still. And like mentioned, when you need it, you need it.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #115 on: January 24, 2016, 11:03:16 PM
I only  arry saks with the inline philips like SC, Champ Plus or Explorerso I get the best of both worlds.  I get to use the cork screw to hold the mini screwdriver. :)

us Offline DaveBr

• Carpe SAKem
Reply #116 on: January 26, 2016, 08:02:54 PM
I prefer the corkscrew. I put a mini screwdriver in the corkscrew of most of my knives because I find the mini screwdriver handy for opening toys and remotes that need new batteries as well as tightening various doodads around the house. And like Humppa, I often use the mini screwdriver when my hands are too cold, or my thumbnails are too short to get a good hold on the nail nick.

Dave
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 09:51:59 PM by DaveBr »
DaveBr

I like big SAKs and I cannot lie...

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #117 on: October 04, 2016, 09:03:29 PM
One argument is missing in all of the above - yet I don't know whether it's true. In Europe, it seems to me, corkscrews are the default. Walk into any shop dealing in Victorinox and they'll have a zillion models with corkscrew, and only a few with backside Phillips.

BTW,  I rarely use screwdrivers of any kind. OTOH, I never go to a party without my Waiter.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 09:12:37 PM by Ronald Schröder »

hr Offline Subterranean

Reply #118 on: October 04, 2016, 09:51:59 PM
I love both corkscrew and Phillips.

I carried and used my Tinker many times back when:
a) I had solid quality eyeglasses whose screws didn't need fixing (now I have modernly crappy ones, I need to tighten the screws every month or so)
b) I didn't have the SwissTool, so the Tinker's Phillips was the only real Phillips screwdriver I had in my EDC (OK, I do EDC a Classic SD and the "Quattro" screwdriver too, but we are talking about the full-profile PH screwdrivers now).

Later on, I bought the Climber and now I EDC it more often than the Tinker:
a) I actually used the corkscrew quite a few times for opening wine bottles (AA, here I come  :facepalm: )
b) I use the tiny screwdriver often on my new eyeglasses
c) I started using the "Quattro" screwdriver and the Classic SD tip on the PH screws.

I just love the profile of the backspring Phillips, it looks like a nice, fair, full-sized, well-profiled PH2 screwdriver. I've used it many times successfully, especially on the recessed PH screws. About 90% of time its position wasn't a problem and I could use it without problems.

The profile of the inline/SwissTool Phillips looks weird, almost stubby and sort of hybrid-ish. But actually, I've used it successfully on both the PH1 and PH2 screw heads. PH0 screws can be a bit problematic with that hybrid inline/SwissTool screwdriver - I prefer to use the "Quattro" screwdriver for those screws.

hr Offline Subterranean

Reply #119 on: October 04, 2016, 10:02:48 PM
I just realized this thread has been necrobumped - but hey, I am a necrobumper  :P

What 50ft-trad said - I absolutely agree about carrying both - a pliers based MT for the screwdrivers etc. as a real work tool + a classic SAK with scissors and corkscrew as a pocket knife.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%