Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Pulse

Chako · 12 · 19314

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Leatherman Pulse
on: July 03, 2009, 07:07:35 PM
Leatherman Pulse.

A little bit of background history is in order. The Pulse holds a special place in my heart. My copy was bought new by my father, and was technically his first real good quality multi-tool. He wore it on special occasion. I eventually inherited it, and also his love of multi-tools.

This particular example has date stamps of 0800, meaning it was produced in August of 2000, which fits, as he got this in October of 2000 if memory serves me right.

The Pulse is a wonderful Leatherman. It builds upon Leatherman ingenuity by updating and improving their products. The PST, Flair, and PSTII that it is based upon,  suffered from one major fault…the folding tools did not lock in the open position. Sure, they did snap open with authority, which most cheap knockoffs could never replicate. However, a moveable flat piece of sheet metal does not a lock produce. I find it rather interesting, that Leatherman went all complicated with their first locking mechanism (that I am aware of). It centers around a neat lever design, and gives the Pulse and its big brother the Super Tool 200, its distinctive look.

From left to right: Leatherman PST II, Flair, Pulse, Crunch, Skeletool, Wave, Surge, and Core.

You can see from the above photograph that the Pulse is more along the lines of the PSTII and the Flair. Likewise, it has that distinctive classical Leatherman look to it that some of the newer multi-tools from the same company sadly don’t have. With that said, Leatherman is constantly improving their products, and the newer designs, although a little less elegant, do offer innovations. Lucky for us, there is probably a Leatherman model for everyone.

From left to right: Leatherman PSTII, Flair, Pulse, Crunch, Wave, Surge, Core.

You can see from the above photograph that the Pulse is a little wider than the two older tools, that being the PSTII and the Flair. Something had to give for the addition of a locking mechanism.  The older designs simply didn’t have the room for one. The size however is just perfect in my opinion.  Enough heft and light portability. I do believe the Pulse is in that sweet spot for something that would be good for any job, and is easy to EDC (Every Day Carry).

From left to right: Leatherman Pulse, PSTII, and Flair. Note the familial resemblance.

From left to right:  Leatherman PSTII, Flair, and Pulse. Note the locking mechanism levers on the Pulse that make this and the Super Tool 200 so unique.

In one handle, we have:
-   Large flathead screwdriver, medium flathead screwdriver, scissors, and a clip point blade.
In the other handle, we have:
-   Metal/wood/diamond File, small flathead screwdriver, Phillips screwdriver, and a combo can/bottle opener, and a neat hidden metal loop that swings upwards through a spacing in the handle instead of the more modern swing around design..

Conclusion

The Pulse is now a discontinued model. I believe its production run ran from 2000 to 2004. It is one of the more popular and harder to get models. Very popular because it offers locking tools in a very small and highly convenient package. Not to mention, the tool set is excellent as it borrowing and builds upon its forebear the venerable PSTII, which in my opinion, had a very good tool load out.

The Pulse is a very likeable, well made, quality piece.  The only detraction, and ironically, it is part of the high praise for this feature, the locking levers are a bit odd and difficult to use.  You have to roll a thumb or finger onto the roller lever mechanisms. It is a curious system, but I do never get tired of seeing it in operation. With that said, it can be difficult to disengage a locked tool. Often, the lever mechanism is stiff, or a bit slippery. Not only that, but you have to do a long throw to fully unlock a tool. With practice, this becomes second nature, but there is a learning curve to the tool that isn’t present in most other designs.

Pro:
-   Fantastic build quality fit and finish. Silky smooth folding tool action.
-   Light and portable with a great tool load out.
-   Tools lock, which when it first came out, was a big feature.
-   Neat locking mechanism that is a joy to watch in use….certainly unique.

Cons:
-   Locking mechanism a bit fiddly and hard to use.
-   Getting harder to get due to its rarity and popularity.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 07:19:05 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Leatherman Pulse
Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 07:14:31 PM
You can't beat a sentimental tool :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 07:18:50 PM
I need one of those.
(

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 07:24:38 PM
FYI the Supertool had the first locks on them. 

Nice one again mate.  :tu:  Agree about the lock con, could never get on with them so traded mine away.
I'm back!!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 07:29:59 PM
I am still awaiting that large Leatherman shipment. I have a Super Tool in that package, along with a few more goodies for the collection. I did not know it had locking tools.  :tu:

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 07:32:27 PM
I am still awaiting that large Leatherman shipment. I have a Super Tool in that package, along with a few more goodies for the collection. I did not know it had locking tools.  :tu:

It does indeed and (quite unpopularly) I'd say they are one of the best in terms of safety and reliability.  The Supertool is a great tool as well.  I have a BO one which is one of my best, if not the best MT's I have.
I'm back!!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 10:14:57 PM
Now I am dying to get the shipment in a lot more then previously..and that was bad enough.

Ordered on the 22nd, haven't heard anything yet. It is my oldest order. Everything older has already come in.

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 11:06:08 PM
Discontinued and yet highly sought after, it's on my list, it's on my list...

With the Supertool 300, I am just waiting for Leatherman to do the PST III. Much like the Core was the interim tool between the ST200 and 300, I think the Pulse could be the same. As we know, the PST and Pulse fill that 'sweet spot" between the Fuse and the Blast.
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

gp Offline Nightshade

Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 11:55:59 PM
Chako,

Another great review. The review pictures are excellent. I work with low and high tech tools all day long. I still prefer the older Leatherman designs.
One of our machinists at work is a "steampunk" artisan in his free time. He has a wonderfully hand engraved and polished LM Pulse that he carries. Jules Verne comes straight to mind. 
"

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 11:57:55 PM
Chako,

Another great review. The review pictures are excellent. I work with low and high tech tools all day long. I still prefer the older Leatherman designs.
One of our machinists at work is a "steampunk" artisan in his free time. He has a wonderfully hand engraved and polished LM Pulse that he carries. Jules Verne comes straight to mind. 
I'd love to see some of his work if you get the chance mate :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: July 04, 2009, 12:03:55 AM
Chako,

I'd love to see some of his work if you get the chance mate :tu:

+1!

Great review!
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: July 04, 2009, 03:46:04 AM
 :tu: Great review on a great MT :salute: :D I love the Pulse and despite the locks (which to me get easier to use in time) I believe that it is 1 of my fav MTs I believe that I need to get mine out and carry it more :) You can't ever beat that diamond file :D All the goodness of the PST and PST II wrapped into one with nice handles and locking tools :cheers: Now if they would only update it in a way that is similar to the SuperTool 300 :o ;)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%