Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Crunch.

Chako · 15 · 6434

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Leatherman Crunch.
on: June 28, 2009, 03:07:52 AM
Is it Crunch time?

Irrespective of the bad pun, I just received a Leatherman Crunch from the local store that can order me all things Leatherman, Gerber, and SOG. I may not be able to walk into a store and take one off the shelf, but it is nice to know that if I really wanted a specific multi-tool, I can order one locally at retail prices. Be that as it may, I have figured out that this can sometimes come out to be the same price as an eBay purchase when you figure out the shipping charges, etc.

This is going to be more of a first impression, since I only have had it for a few hours.

The Leatherman Crunch is an odd duck. Stranger then a Leatherman Flair, and even stranger then a Mini, the Crunch represents something a little different in the Leatherman line. It is the only model that features locking pliers. Now in my family, any tool of this sort is called a Vice-grip regardless if it is from that company  or not. I guess it is much akin to calling tissue paper, Kleenex.  I shall Endeavour valiantly not to call the Crunch a Vice-grip for the sake of accuracy.

The Crunch has an odd way of opening for use, and of closing for storage. The unit is rather compact. I was a bit surprised when I got home to open the rather large Leatherman box only to find something so small and petite. Online photographs and possibly my notion regarding my father’s Vice-grips, made me think the Crunch was well….er….larger than it actually was. I sort of chuckled to myself at the misconceptions people have based upon their past experiences with like tools. Anyhow, this thing is positively small.  It is about the size of a Leatherman PST or a Leatherman Fuse to compare it to a newer model.
Here is the opening sequence in photographs.

1. Here the tool is closed along with the sheath which is the standard Leatherman pancake nylon sheath.

2. Gently pry apart the two halves. When you do this, you can see how the locking pliers are rotated pointing towards the back for inside handle storage.

3. Continue prying apart the handles, and then rotate the locking pliers to the right positon.

4. Angle the top handles in such a way that it mates with a projection on the locking pliers. There are two indents on the projection, with a matching pair of protrusions on the top handle. They should click together when done properly.

5. Keep moving the top pliers downwards until you come to rest and can’t go any further. At this point, you are ready to do some work.

Because this is a Leatherman, there has to be some folding tools hidden somewhere. In the lower handler, there is a set of 5 tools.

-   A sheepfoot serrated blade, a medium flathead screwdriver, a combo large flathead screwdriver/ wood/metal file, small flathead screwdriver, and a Phillips screwdriver.

There are other hidden features that at first glance, you won’t see. I know I had to read the instructions to figure this out. For example, there is a built in bottle opener but it is nothing like I have ever seen before. There is a small hook on the back of the Phillips folding tool that you can use to separate bottles caps from their perch. Another weird looking features, is the wire cutter/stripper that is built into the handle. Once again, it does not look like the usually type of tool. Even the graphics on the tool with an arrow pointing to the right area didn’t help me at first ascertain what it all meant. Only after reading the included instructions did I figure it out.  Once I was on the right track, I thought it was a neat and useful feature of the multi-tool…just not something I have seen before. One more hidden features is the driver bit adapter that is hidden in the end of one of the handles. You have to unscrew the tightening bolt completely out of the handle to access the bit adapter. It is nice that you can do this. Not so nice that you have to remove the bolt to do so. Nothing says I like you then having to unscrew a bolt 20 times to use a screwdriver bit. No thanks.

Only after close scrutiny, did Burro notice some of the neat hidden features of the Leatherman Crunch.

Conclusion
The Leatherman Crunch is definitely a different tool. Its small size and feature set means that this is the perfect multi-tool for the job site as well as the household. So long as it is for small sized jobs that is.
I just love the feel and weight of this little wonder of design ingenuity.  I find that I keep playing with it. Marveling at how they managed to put a locking pliers into such a small package. I just have to remember to not call it a Vice-grip!

Pros:
-   Only Leatherman that has locking pliers.
-   Build quality is right up there. Love the weight, fit and finish of this unit.
-   Folding tools lock wonderfully when opened.
-   Good variety of functions into a small form factor.
Cons:
-   Must watch out for pinched skin when closing the pliers into the handle. Skin is especially in the danger zone when rotation the pliers into the handle.
-   When all is stored away, odd shaped protrusions from the pliers and operating mechanism break out of the package, sort of speak.
-   Too many flathead screwdrivers for my liking. Do I need 3 of them? As far as I am concerned, there are 2 wasted tool slots that could have been put to better use.
-   Weird screwdriver bit adapter that requires a bolt extraction.  Once you have turned the darn bolt X amount of times to remove it…what do you do with it during screwdriver bit usage…you guessed it…high potential for losing it.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

gp Offline Nightshade

Re: Leatherman Crunch.
Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 03:41:31 AM
Chako, nice review. I enjoyed reading it.  :tu:
"

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 04:14:52 AM
Nice review!

I rather like the Crunch however.  It's more like a lightweight visegrip (The small sized ones) in a more compact package.  And with extra tools! The biggest drawback is the number of steps to get the thing set up  (and the price compared to a small sized visegrip  ;))

Personally, I find it really fun to play with. 

I agree about the hassle of removing the bolt to get to the driver.

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 05:21:33 AM
Chako have you mastered the one handed deployment yet  :pok: :D

One day I wil l do my Vise-Grip/Mulit tool comparison review  ::)

The Crunch ,compared to the 2 Schrade Vise-Grip Multi's & the Kershaw A100 that I own, is so much more compact & easy to carry. A multi tool that is awkward to carry is a cardinal sin  :P :D. Too carry either of the Schrades is like having a 6 shooter on your belt  :ahhh.
I think the best thing about multitools is, you have them on you when you need them, not back home in the tool box. :D :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 05:58:47 AM
You can one hand deploy this?  :o

I cannot imagine how that is done, considering it requires a bit of effort to flip the head around to engage the handles.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 09:19:32 AM
That would be a great tool if they swaped some of the existing tools out :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 12:47:21 PM
That would be a great tool if they swaped some of the existing tools out :)

...and it was a bit bigger.
I'm back!!

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 07:32:50 PM
Thanks, Chako, great review. I really like the idea of the Crunch, vice grips (I call them that too :)) are a tool that I find very useful.
Prone to daydreaming.

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 08:48:27 PM
nice review :tu: ive always wanted one...some day maybe :)
A

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 01:16:41 AM
I was able to see a Crunch in person today; I still can't believe how small it is. o.o;

No, I didn't purchase it, but I just thought I'd add that statement.  :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 03:46:25 AM
Another great review Chako :tu: I really like the Crunch it is an oddball but in certain places only it would do :tu:

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 03:55:24 AM
You can one hand deploy this?  :o

I cannot imagine how that is done, considering it requires a bit of effort to flip the head around to engage the handles.

See the video at the end of the review :D :D , I think it is Def :think:
http://www.multitool.org/leatherman-tool-group/medium-tools/leatherman-crunch.html

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 06:06:31 PM
Good Pics!   :D Would be nice if they swaped a flathead with a non serated blade, and a scissor wouldnt hurt either.

Offline JohnD

Reply #13 on: July 01, 2009, 06:45:57 PM
I have one on the way. Should come in handy when i'm on the bike.
"

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #14 on: July 07, 2009, 05:27:26 PM
nice review! :cheers:

I have learned that the many size flatheads can come in handy for "prying"
applications, I don't feel they are such a waste as I used too, but I still
would like other tools!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!