Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The whole place to myself

Dunc · 40 · 5136

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
The whole place to myself
on: April 21, 2007, 12:45:54 PM
I'm the only user online  :o  Not even a spamer to keep me company  :D suppose I could turn off a few lights and shut a couple of doors and have a wonder through the empty multitool.org corridoors  :D I feel like Spoonrobot  doing a spot of  Urban exploration   :grin: 

Dunc

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: The whole place to myself
Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 01:11:23 PM
Sorry to ruin your fun by showing up!  :oops:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 01:15:21 PM
Sorry to ruin your fun by showing up!  :oops:

Def

No problem I'll put the kettle on  :)

Dunc

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 01:25:50 PM
Sounds good to me... I could use a spot.  My eyes may be open but they aren't pointed in the same direction yet!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 01:27:11 PM
Its 12.26 ( lunch time here ) what time is it for you ?

Dunc

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 01:32:11 PM
0829 here...  I've actually been up for a little while now... about an hour.  I couldn't sleep in if I tried!

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 01:34:19 PM
Good morning! 7:33 here. I saw the kitchen light on and thought I'd drop in....(sniff, sniff)......is that bacon I smell?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 01:37:11 PM
is that bacon I smell?

Yep  :) take a seat with Def , Tea , coffee ?
  Off swimming in a lttle while when my wife gets home  :)

Dunc

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007, 01:44:06 PM
Yep  :) take a seat with Def , Tea , coffee ?
  Off swimming in a lttle while when my wife gets home  :)

Dunc

Oooh, tea please. But I can only stay a few minutes. I'm on my way in to the shop this morning. Hoping to finish up a project.

Thanks, ahhhh.  :)

So, you're going swimming today? Brrr, isn't it still rather cold out for swimming?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #9 on: April 21, 2007, 01:47:22 PM
Heated pool  ;) Believe it or not but I am a crap swimmer  ::)

dunc

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: April 21, 2007, 01:52:30 PM
So that's why you are with Palling Rescue?  So that way if anything happens to you, your friends will try that much harder to get you? :P

Def

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #11 on: April 21, 2007, 01:59:52 PM
So that's why you are with Palling Rescue?  So that way if anything happens to you, your friends will try that much harder to get you? :P

Def

Thats one way of looking at it  :D  The best thing to do is try and stay in the boat  ;)  Mind you with the drysuits we wear you cant swim very well and just end up bobbing about .its a funny thing when we practice man overboard and casualty recovery when you go in the water and the boat drives off leaving you all alone with rather alot of water underneath you .Has anyone seen the film the Guardian with Kevin Costner ? Now that looks scary  :o If I was in that helicopter there is no way you would get me jumping out that door , very brave guys .

Dunc

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: April 21, 2007, 02:07:16 PM
I'll bet if it was me the suit wouldn't be quite so dry any more...  :-[

I don't mind the leaping out of the helicopter thing, but the ocean scares the living hell out of me.  If I'm terrified to go out on a boat I really don't think I'd want to float there in a suit for a while hoping the rescuers find me before the sharks do.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: April 21, 2007, 02:11:28 PM
Speaking of sharks, I heard an amusing thing on the radio a little while ago.  It's an ad for environmental studies at a local university in which a student says that there are so many toxins in the average person that a Great White Shark won't eat you unless it's faced with starvation.  She then goes on to talk about how she learned to de-toxify her environment to make herself edible again. 

There is soooo much wrong with that in my mind... first off, who tested this theory, and second off, who the hell would pay $10,000/year to a university to ensure that you will be eaten by a shark?  I think the money would be better spent in finding ways to avoid being eaten.  At least then you and Darwin would be in agreement...

Def

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #14 on: April 21, 2007, 02:26:38 PM
  I think the money would be better spent in finding ways to avoid being eaten.  At least then you and Darwin would be in agreement...

Def

Too true . Someone did invent something that was ment to keep sharks away , by soundwaves I think .

In this country we dont use rescue swimmers from helicopters although we do use helcopters alot with winchmen , I suppose we arrive with more dignity  ;), these are the Royal air fore Air sea rescue ( yellow ) the Coastguard ( red and white ) also the Royal Navy also are used ( grey and red ) .

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #15 on: April 21, 2007, 02:28:57 PM
Was going to apologize for sending the thread off topic , then realised it is my thread  :D ::)

Dunc

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: April 21, 2007, 03:04:41 PM
Here's what our Coast Guard uses:

Not exactly the most advanced, but much like yours, they'll start up and run no matter what.

The local airbase is full of Sea Kings... we have been promised new helicopters for about 25-30 years now, but our guys are still flying these 40+ year old behemoths.

Def

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #17 on: April 21, 2007, 03:13:21 PM
I understand that our ageing sea kings are to be replaced with Merlins , but they say the Merlins arent suited to Search and rescue ( although can be used ) so in the future they are planning to privatise the helicopters  :o Hopefully the coastgaurd coverage will stay unchanged ( mostly in the south ) but the RAF will no longer offer a civilain SAR and this will go to the highest bidder  :oNot sure when this is going to happen .

Great pics Def , got any pics of your coastguard boats ?

Dunc

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: April 21, 2007, 03:20:13 PM
Mostly pics of them in the background of other, more interesting things!  I'll try to get down to the waterfront today and shoot some "fresh" ones!  You can'r Mistake a Canadian Coast Guard ship anywhere in the world:

I'll try to get some good shots- we have one of the main CG dockyards right here in Halifax, plus we also have the Coast Guard College as well less than a km down the shoreline.  And, given the recent CG scandal, most of them are in port more than anything else, so I should be able to get a few good shots!  :P

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: April 21, 2007, 03:22:45 PM
Here's a link to most (if not all) CG vessels currently in service.  I think the hovercraft are all on the pretty coast because I've never seen one around here, and this is one of the biggest ports on the Eastern Seaboard.

http://www.ccg-gcc.gc.ca/fleet-flotte/vessels-navires/main_e.asp

Def

Offline knife-man

Reply #20 on: April 21, 2007, 04:05:43 PM
Am I too late for a coffee :D?
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: April 21, 2007, 05:11:48 PM
Not as far as I am concerned- in fact, you can have my share cause I don't drink coffee!

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: April 21, 2007, 05:18:34 PM
Here's a few pics I managed to take this morning for you.  Most are of the Louis St Laurent, one of Canada's biggest icebreakers.

Def
LSL01.JPG
* LSL01.JPG (Filesize: 85.96 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: April 21, 2007, 05:19:24 PM
Closeup of the starboard side of the bridge.

Def
LSL02.JPG
* LSL02.JPG (Filesize: 88 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: April 21, 2007, 05:20:02 PM
These things never look as big as when you are standing next to one... I was pretty far away when I took this one.

Def
LSL03.JPG
* LSL03.JPG (Filesize: 53.35 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: April 21, 2007, 05:23:46 PM
One last one- this is a pic of one of the submarines that the Navy bought from the UK.  Now that we have them, we can see why you guys mothballed them!  I am not very knowledgeable about Navy stuff, but isn't it real hard to submerge when you are in dry dock? :P

For reference sake, I believe this is the HMCS Chicoutimi, the one that caught fire two years ago in a malfunction that kille done sailor.  Imagine what Tennyson would have thought of a submerged submarine fire if he thought sailors surrounded by ocean dying of dehydration was ironic!

Def
Chic01.JPG
* Chic01.JPG (Filesize: 43.4 KB)

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #26 on: April 21, 2007, 06:21:25 PM
Am I too late for a coffee :D?

Just got back from my swim , I'll put the kettle on  :)

Def great pictures , they have some big old boats  :D In the UK the CG dont have that many boats , all boat rescues are done by the RNLI and other independant boats ( like ours ) .Just going back to helicopters heres a link to a flood that happened in Englang a couple of years ago , I'm sure you will agree that it looks rather bad but you will be amazed that over 100 people were rescued that day by helicopters from the RAF , Coastguard and Navy  and not one person lost there life  :o   

Talking of submarines we lost two sailors in an explosion in a sub the other day  :(

Dunc

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #27 on: April 21, 2007, 06:26:10 PM
Here's a link to most (if not all) CG vessels currently in service.  I think the hovercraft are all on the pretty coast because I've never seen one around here, and this is one of the biggest ports on the Eastern Seaboard.

http://www.ccg-gcc.gc.ca/fleet-flotte/vessels-navires/main_e.asp

Def

Great link Def  :D I was looking at the SAR lifeboats on there and your guys really work in some harsh conditions  :o What was the Scandal?

Dunc

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: April 21, 2007, 06:33:37 PM
Tha scandal is that we have paid more in repairs over the last few years than the LSL is worth... we could have had almost three more ships for what we've piled into it.  Plus, there were other ships that have had unnecessary and costly repairs done, and still other ships that were repaired poorly, but at great cost.  And, a month ago, our Navy had to beg off of a multinational exercise with US and UK ships (that had all arrived here) because there wasn't enough in the fuel budget to get the grey ships out of port.  Admittedly, two seperate organizations, but a waste of money is a waste of money, and it especially hurts when the guys across the water have to go without.

But they are decently equipped for rescue though.  With as many foreign countries fishing illegally in our waters it's important to have a good rescue fleet in case one of them gets into trouble!

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: April 21, 2007, 06:35:29 PM
This might be a bit off topic, but it's kinda nice to just sit back and shoot the poo with a bunch of friends!

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%