Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman's Knives

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Leatherman's Knives
on: April 22, 2007, 05:18:29 PM
Now that the knives have been out for a while,has anybody used theirs enough to say how well they do the job? Did Leatherman hit a home run,or lay down a bunt? What improvements would you suggest to the company?
I

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Leatherman's Knives
Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 06:37:50 PM
Good question Bob. I don't yet have any of the Leatherman knives, so I'm hoping to see some folks weigh in on this topic.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 06:46:30 PM
especially the newest ones with the rotating blade / 'generous' gut hook and 'aggressive' bone saw. Hmm maybe I should start describing the cutting hook on my charge as a 'gutting hook' and the wood saw as a 'bone saw', sounds a lot more brutal  :grin:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 06:50:10 PM
especially the newest ones with the rotating blade / 'generous' gut hook and 'aggressive' bone saw. Hmm maybe I should start describing the cutting hook on my charge as a 'gutting hook' and the wood saw as a 'bone saw', sounds a lot more brutal  :grin:

Very Schwarzenegger-esque indeed!  :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 07:00:13 PM
I don't have the newest ones, but I have used the c304 & c305, & I honestly would say LM hit it out of the park.  They feel really good in the hand.  The blade is beefy & easy to deploy.  The screwdrivers are very nicely milled & well centered for use (I don't have the bits version).  The bottle opener is one of the best I've ever used.  The clip is sturdy & hooks up quickly.  You can even get really good knife steel in some models.

There aren't many other beefy blades with minimalist tools that aren't SAKs, so they're kind of in a class to themselves.  I'm sure Tim LM was thinking of making his own beefy SAK in the two-tool tradition that he is quoted so often on.

Tom

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 07:01:46 PM
Hehe, when you think about it, the multitool is a perfect tool to go hunting with, animal or human(!)

Youve got a cutting hook / scissors to get through skin, and any clothing that may be over it...

Got a plain and serrated knife to get through the fleshy parts...

Got a wood saw / metal file / wire cutters to get through bone / tendons and ligaments...

Got a pair of pliers to pull out any teeth or nails...

And a whole load of other tools that just might come in useful (i've never tried hunting / killing / torturing anything with my multitool so I cant go beyond the obvious basics).

Hmm, I wonder if there is a dark side to multitools...

Offline joebw

Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 10:04:11 PM
Hi All,

I've got about 20 of the Leatherman knives in my collection. The one that I like the best is the E306X.

Like Tom, I do think Leatherman has a home run on their hands.  In the past few months I've seen more models showing up in various shops.

I really like the blade launcher.  It takes a little bit of playing with it to get the technique down. 

In the hunting knife line, I only have the Klamath thus far.  It is a big knife.  I was in Seattle last week and visited a knife shop which let me handle the Steens (the "fixed" blade).  I suspect that will be my next Leatherman knife.

Best - Joe

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007, 11:54:49 PM
I've been thinking about getting one myself; either the e302/303 or the e304/305...the ones withh the dedicated drivers.  What is the diffrence between the two besides one having a skeletonized handle?

Are these models really thick?  I can't picture how it all folds into the handle...

My Gerber pocket knife is lame, and Leatherman seems to be outshining them in the affordable/beater pocket knives dept...
[

ca Online Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 12:42:33 AM
I only have one, the e301 and I don't carry or use it terribly often.  It's a nice knife, and I am impressed by the quality of it, especially for the price.  I just don't carry it because I am at the point now where I don't see the point of a dedicated knife.  After carrying SAKs and multitools for so long, a knife with nothing else seems like a waste of space.

That having been said, I plan to get one of the bigger, better outfitted models soon.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline joebw

Reply #9 on: April 23, 2007, 12:57:57 AM
Hi Corrugated,

Both the e302/303 and the e304x/e305x knives are good ones.  As to differences, here gfoes:

1.  e302/304 - have blade, carabiner/bottle opener, phillips & medium screwdrivers.  Blade is 420 SS.  Weight = 3.9 oz/111 gms.,

2.  e304x/305x - have blade & carabiner/bottle opener.  Blade is 154CM.  Weight = 3.0 oz/84 gms.

You need to decide on the two screwdrivers additional with the e302/303.  The "fight" about 420 versus 154CM will never end.  I've found that 154CM seems to hold an edge longer than 420, but is harder to resharpen.  However, with a Spyderco Sharpmaker, it is no big deal.

Best - Joe

PS - I like the looks of the e304x/305x over the e302/303.

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 23, 2007, 01:19:15 AM
Just so everyone knows what we're talking about.

Even numbers are PE, odds are PE/SE combos.

e's & c's are 3.9" closed
k's & h's are 4.5" closed

e300/e301

e302/e303

e304x/e305x

e306x/e307x

c300/c301

c302/c303

c304/c305

k500x/k501x

k502x/k503x

h500/h501

h502/h503

[edited to correct length of e & c to 3.9" & k & h to 4.5"]
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 01:43:59 AM by Tom Munch »

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: April 23, 2007, 01:22:27 AM
I personally like the c304 because it has dedicated implements, rubber inserts on the handle, & a nice thumb rest on the back of the blade that the "e" series doesn't have.

Tom

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: April 23, 2007, 01:29:09 AM
I think the k502 is the one I am hoping to get soon.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: April 23, 2007, 01:34:51 AM
Def,

The "k" series is really nice, but really big!

I'll post the hunting knives too.  Let me go find them.

Tom

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: April 23, 2007, 01:37:41 AM
I think that is the one that another forum member has that I am trying to get from him- that's why it's the one I am hoping to get next!

If all else fails though I may have to break down and buy one...

Def

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: April 23, 2007, 01:39:40 AM

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: April 23, 2007, 01:45:56 AM
I was talking to someone at Leatherman a little while ago and those came up in conversation.  I have to say, they just don't have any appeal for me at all...  they remind me of the Revolver knife from SOG, which I also don't care for.  But then, that's just me.  They sell well enough, so I guess someone has to like them.

Def

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: April 23, 2007, 01:51:30 AM
Def,

You mean the hunting knives?

Tom

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: April 23, 2007, 01:52:39 AM
Yup.

But then I haven't been hunting in years, so maybe that's why a good hunting knife doesn't do much for me.

Def

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #19 on: April 23, 2007, 02:02:00 AM
I had the k502x,that I gave to my son-in-law this past Christmas,I lliked it,but he liked it even more :).If Leatherman would add a dedicated saw in another layer,I'd be first out the gate to buy one.It may add a bit to the thickness,but then again I have large hands.
I

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: April 23, 2007, 02:46:19 AM
Thanks for the pictures Tom. (I've been too lazy to go to the Leatherman site myself and look at them.  :P)

I finally "understand" the differences between all the different models. Boy, there certainly are a lot of them!

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: April 23, 2007, 08:25:05 AM
What's with the names?

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #22 on: April 23, 2007, 06:52:53 PM
Now that the knives have been out for a while,has anybody used theirs enough to say how well they do the job? Did Leatherman hit a home run,or lay down a bunt? What improvements would you suggest to the company?
I have a few of the LM folders:

e302 (smaller size, 420 blade, liner lock, phillips + flat drivers),
e306X (smaller size, 154CM blade, liner lock, aluminum frame, bit holder + three double-ended bits), and
h502 (larger size, 420 blade, lockback, bit holder + three double-ended bits).

They're all well made, and work well; the 420 blade steel isn't bad at all, more like Buck 420HC than cheapy chinese 420. The extra implements are well done, but a few are difficult to deploy with gloves on (or with no fingernails!) due to smallish studs/tabs. One can argue the wisdom of the bit holders and their potentially misplaced bits, but if you feel strongly about it, there are models with non-removeable drivers.

The Blade Launcher feature is OK, I guess; I find it easier to flick the blade out with my index finger on the thumbstud, like most of my knives. Since the blades aren't all that massive, and since the pivots aren't real loose, it takes a good solid "pop"of the Blade Launcher to fully deploy the blade.

I know a lot of folks don't care for liner locks, but on both of mine, the lock-up is solid and secure. The other is a lockback, which is also well executed. Most of the implements don't lock open, but have a VERY solid detent; you'd have to try pretty hard to get one to fold up on you. The carabiner clips do lock, though; while I tend to prefer a good ol' pocket clip, the LM 'biner clips work well, and since they're hollow and fit around the tip of the knife blades, actually don't add any bulk to the knives.

Speaking of bulk... NONE of these knives are what you'd call "slim". The extra implements and thick scales make them quite chunky; the thickest have handles about as thick as they are deep, which feels odd when you're used to single-bladed tactical knives, but not at all uncomfortable. While a tad bulky, they're not inordinately heavy; the overall impression is "solid".

Overall, I think they're winners. My only concern is the price: they aren't exactly cheap, and in a world where most non-knife-knuts are perfectly happy with the "buck knives" they buy for a buck at the gas station, I don't see them taking over the world anytime soon. But for the more discerning knut, especially one who likes to pack a screwdriver or two in addition to a knife, they're definitely worth a look.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #23 on: April 26, 2007, 02:13:57 AM
Could someone snap a pic of a c304/c305s' width next to a SAK or something similar?  There's a c305 on ebay for $30 shipped I might get (even though I didn't want serrations... :( )
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: April 26, 2007, 02:37:14 AM
I didn't know what kind of SAk you wanted so here is my c301 (should be the same size) next to a Compact and an OHT.

Def
Size01.JPG
* Size01.JPG (Filesize: 57.26 KB)
Size02.JPG
* Size02.JPG (Filesize: 51.82 KB)

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: April 26, 2007, 04:01:49 AM
I like the smaller liner lock LM knives. I have been carrying the C305 for a while now and have no problems with it. I like the blade launcher and the carabiner/bottler opener works good. I have a bigger lockback h502 but really haven't carried it very much.
Picture 1326 (Small).jpg
* Picture 1326 (Small).jpg (Filesize: 26.48 KB)
Picture 1328 (Small).jpg
* Picture 1328 (Small).jpg (Filesize: 27.59 KB)
"

Offline 65hoss

Reply #26 on: May 10, 2007, 06:32:44 AM
The spring of 2006 when the first of the Leatherman knives came out I bought 1 of the K502x and 3 of the K500x.  These are the 154cm knives. 

I own a Lawn/Landscape company and I use knives very hard most days.  I can end up cutting carpet or water hoses wrapped into a bushhog or under mower decks, heavy duty comm'l trimmer line with Kevlar, seed bags, and just about anything else in the great outdoors. 

I carried the K502x everyday last year and for a few months this year.   It is an absolute workhorse.  I love the 154cm on these knives.  They hold an edge very well and stay very sharp.  The tools work well.  This is a VERY solid workman style knife.  I give it a very high rating.

I bought 3 of the K500x knives.  I gave one to my partner last year.  He carries it every day and uses it hard.  He makes the statement often that he loves it more now than before and he's had it for a year.  About 2 months ago I started carrying mine daily and left the K502x at home.  The ONLY reason is that I really used my SAK mechanic more than the tools on the K502x because of the pliers on the mechanic.  So I decided to use the K500x to see if I would be happy with it rather than the much thicker K502x.  The K500x is the exact blade but without the added thickness of the other tools.  Its actually very very thin and rides unnoticed clipped in my front pocket.  So far, it has been flawless and I don't feel under knifed by it.  It too is a VERY solid workman style knife without all the other tools. 

My 13 year old daughter will be working for me this summer.  She has already asked for the other K500x I have still in the box.  I told her that its her's.  Seemed to make her very happy.

To wrap it up, if  you are looking for a heavy duty work knife with an excellent blade, I give a HUGE thumbs up to the K series Leatherman knives.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: May 10, 2007, 12:22:46 PM
Glad to see you made it here Hoss!

I recently sold my LM knife and I have to say that I am really missing it.  For the price, it is a very good little knife, and I am looking forward to trying out the 500 series.

I've had alot of bigger deddicated knives from serious knife companies that cost alot more than the little one I just sold and they really aren't significantly better.  Not enough to justify almost ten times the cost anyway.

Def

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #28 on: May 10, 2007, 02:42:54 PM
I only have one, the e301 and I don't carry or use it terribly often.  It's a nice knife, and I am impressed by the quality of it, especially for the price.  I just don't carry it because I am at the point now where I don't see the point of a dedicated knife.  After carrying SAKs and multitools for so long, a knife with nothing else seems like a waste of space.

That having been said, I plan to get one of the bigger, better outfitted models soon.

Def
same here def, apart from fixed blades all my ''pocket knives'' are saks or multi tools

they do look the part though :grin:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: May 10, 2007, 03:22:24 PM
back when I had a LM surge I was getting real tempted to buy the klamath LM knife, the thought of the gut hook and S30V blade were very tempting, knife looks beautiful aswell.

However, I was held back by the fact that such a knife is very illegal in the UK (4 inch locking blade :o), and I dislike the idea of carrying two tools, I prefer one all in one multitool (why I probably will not buy a leatherman freestyle and pair it with a SAK, even thought I am real tempted).

So I firgured I could solve my problems by getting the new leatherman TTI, since it had the special steel knife, and a cutting hook, and brought me back to a one tool solution.

I dont believe I regret my decision, even getting the sec3d version from cabelas (which looks stunning) I think it worked out cheaper than buying a separate klamath (since I sold my surge).

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%