Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman's Knives

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Leatherman's Knives
Reply #30 on: May 10, 2007, 04:03:16 PM
#
However, I was held back by the fact that such a knife is very illegal in the UK (4 inch locking blade :o), and I dislike the idea of carrying two tools, I prefer one all in one multitool (why I probably will not buy a leatherman freestyle and pair it with a SAK, even thought I am real tempted).
#

arent we lucky to live in such a knife friendly country :angry: :grin:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: May 10, 2007, 04:40:15 PM
I can understand the logic behind not letting people carry knives, i.e. to reduce knife crime, but its not going to work, because unless you search every person as they leave their house and on every street corner, how are you going to stop people carrying knives? Add to that the incredibly lax laws in the UK even if you get caught, and there is no chance.

Knives are incredibly nasty weapons, people who mess around with them fighting each other and threatening others most often do not mean to harm someone to the extent they do, or kill them, but due to the nature of inserting a few inches of metal into someone's body, even if you dont kill them you are seriously going to inflict some damage, maybe even cause certain organ failure if you catch it.

Now if they said its illegal to carry a locking blade, or blade over 3 inches, and if you are caught with one you will be stabbed with it, then it happens a few people, maybe others will think twice before carrying them. I dunno, something like that would definitely scare me out of ever trying to get away with it. Of course thats an exagerrated example, but you get my idea.

The way i see it, we have a class of people in the UK on the streets who are not scared of going to prison, so they consider themselves above the law because the worst punishment for a crime here is life in prison, which means 25 years, 12 on parole. Combine this with ever increasing levels of binge drinking, increasing levels of promiscurity, falling levels of education, total lack of family structure, ever increasing move towards consumerism, I think things are going to get a lot worse. Maybe if the death penalty is reintroduced it will make an impact. Otherwise I see this country going to smurf.

Bit of a pessimist as you can see, or maybe just realistic.

Offline geoemt

Reply #32 on: May 10, 2007, 07:57:10 PM
This is my Leatherman e301, very happy with it. I like the bladelauncher system and the carabiner/bottle opener. It's small and light, sometimes I don't even remember that I'm carrying it, that is not good when you have to go the airport.  :angel:

Here is a picture:

Thanks!
Guillermo
<

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #33 on: May 10, 2007, 08:29:14 PM
I can understand the logic behind not letting people carry knives, i.e. to reduce knife crime, but its not going to work, because unless you search every person as they leave their house and on every street corner, how are you going to stop people carrying knives? Add to that the incredibly lax laws in the UK even if you get caught, and there is no chance.

Knives are incredibly nasty weapons, people who mess around with them fighting each other and threatening others most often do not mean to harm someone to the extent they do, or kill them, but due to the nature of inserting a few inches of metal into someone's body, even if you dont kill them you are seriously going to inflict some damage, maybe even cause certain organ failure if you catch it.

Now if they said its illegal to carry a locking blade, or blade over 3 inches, and if you are caught with one you will be stabbed with it, then it happens a few people, maybe others will think twice before carrying them. I dunno, something like that would definitely scare me out of ever trying to get away with it. Of course thats an exagerrated example, but you get my idea.

The way i see it, we have a class of people in the UK on the streets who are not scared of going to prison, so they consider themselves above the law because the worst punishment for a crime here is life in prison, which means 25 years, 12 on parole. Combine this with ever increasing levels of binge drinking, increasing levels of promiscurity, falling levels of education, total lack of family structure, ever increasing move towards consumerism, I think things are going to get a lot worse. Maybe if the death penalty is reintroduced it will make an impact. Otherwise I see this country going to Colorful Enunciation.

Bit of a pessimist as you can see, or maybe just realistic.

not pessimistic at all, that sounds like a fair discription of the way the uk is going.

sadly i really don,t see it changing anytime soon (read ever!)

had my son not come along i was all set to vote with my feet and move to canada.

i can and will witter on about this subject all night, but def quite rightly, tries to keep politics outa his forums...

so i,ll shut up :grin:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline 65hoss

Reply #34 on: May 12, 2007, 03:15:26 AM
Here is the K500x and the K502x side by side.

Jan92007pic 024.jpg
* Jan92007pic 024.jpg (Filesize: 121.94 KB)

Offline 65hoss

Reply #35 on: May 12, 2007, 03:24:55 AM
K502x is a worthy workhorse.
Jan92007pic 011.jpg
* Jan92007pic 011.jpg (Filesize: 121.76 KB)

Offline 65hoss

Reply #36 on: May 12, 2007, 03:26:07 AM
K502x with driver open.
Jan92007pic 020.jpg
* Jan92007pic 020.jpg (Filesize: 112.01 KB)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #37 on: May 12, 2007, 04:52:53 AM
Does that K502x come with a whole kit of flattened bits, or just the 2 or 3 that are stored on board the knife itself?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline 65hoss

Reply #38 on: May 12, 2007, 06:26:12 AM
Does that K502x come with a whole kit of flattened bits, or just the 2 or 3 that are stored on board the knife itself?
It comes with 2 in the handle and 1 in the holder.  You can order the entire kit for it.
Jan92007pic 018.jpg
* Jan92007pic 018.jpg (Filesize: 106.2 KB)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #39 on: May 12, 2007, 08:02:29 AM
Hmmmm....that bit driver looks beefier than the one on the Charge/Wave/Surge tools.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: May 12, 2007, 11:46:49 AM
I have never used the bit driver (on the charge, ands before that the surge) for anything serious.

People who have used them, how well do they hold up? Are they fragile things that break, or can they take the full force required to release a seriously stuck screw?

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #41 on: May 17, 2007, 03:49:06 AM
So I got a C305 today, I'm going to carry it tomorrow.  One thing I noticed is that the liner lock is really tight to the point the blade launcher doesn't work.  My C301 works fine, so I know how to use it :grin:

The Phillips head and slotted driver feels like there's sand in the joints (there isn't though, it came straight from the package)...

Just wondering if anyone has experienced this with theirs.
[

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: May 17, 2007, 11:49:49 PM
Just loosen the pivot screws slightly.

Tom

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #43 on: May 18, 2007, 12:45:00 AM
Just loosen the pivot screws slightly.

Tom

I might have to with the blade, but after a day of use and three diffrent lubricants, the drivers snap out nice and tight.
[

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #44 on: May 18, 2007, 04:52:04 AM
I am going to get one of the LM knives if I have to break down and buy one!  Darn they look nice!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #45 on: May 19, 2007, 03:12:06 AM
I am going to get one of the LM knives if I have to break down and buy one!  Darn they look nice!

Def

You just sold one! :P

If you mean a "multi tool" version with drivers, then I'd reccomend it.  I *gasp* stopped carrying my SAK this week, replacing it with my new C305.
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #46 on: May 19, 2007, 03:13:10 AM
I wonder how long that will last!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #47 on: May 19, 2007, 03:24:39 AM
I was thinking this in my head this week:

SAK Soldier:

Pros
-It's smaller
-It has an awl

Cons
-No one hand opening
-no pocket clip
-no 'full' Phillips driver
-I already carry an awl in my SOG
-Drivers are polished and slip
-Drivers are short

Leatherman C305

Pros
-One hand opening blade/carabiner/bottle opener
-Pocket clip
-Bigger blade
-full Phillips head
-Drivers are longer and grip well (and the handle is larger for better hand grip)

cons
-Larger tool (not a bad thing IMO, doesn't effect me one way or the other)

[

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: May 31, 2007, 09:15:46 PM
I saw one at the store once, and I've been thinking about getting one, it has the bits and the bit driver, a caribiner, and the blade, of course. I think the bits in the handle are ingenious.

I recently bought a Wave because I'm going back to work on Monday, and I need a one-hand blade. So far it's pretty nice (I've been carrying it around recently to get used to it.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 09:18:40 PM by Viper »
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #49 on: June 05, 2007, 04:07:56 AM
I wish they would start to incorporate that handle/bit holding design into some of the multis.  Not only would it offer a better grip in adverse conditions but it would also allow you to carry a bunch of extra bits without the bit holder hiding in the sheath.

Def

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #50 on: June 05, 2007, 11:29:42 PM
I wish they would start to incorporate that handle/bit holding design into some of the multis. 
I think that could be cool, but it would add a lot of bulk to the tool. I don't know if you've seen the knives up close, but to me the bit holder adds way too much thickness to the smaller knives. On the bigger lockbacks I think it works great though. But on a multi-sized handle I think it would add too much. Also, if you carried the sheath, the handle-bit-holders would be wasted space since you would have the full bit holder as well. Now... if they would make some interchangable handle scales...  :grin:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #51 on: June 06, 2007, 12:00:23 AM
I think that all depends.  If you were looking at a one handed opening multi like the Charge or Surge, then you are probably right.  But the heavy duty tools like the SuperTool, Core, SwissTools etc are probably plenty thick enough already.  I doubt the increase in size would be that noticeable.

Def

us Offline Fred

• I'm the one they call Dr FeelGood
Reply #52 on: June 06, 2007, 03:33:39 AM
what they arent heavy enough already?
Yabba dabba doo!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #53 on: June 06, 2007, 03:37:47 AM
I got a new belt... I have to test it out somehow! :D

Def

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #54 on: May 18, 2016, 06:16:38 AM
I am thinking of carrying my H502 this week so I was just looking around at some of the old LM knife threads and this is an oldie but a goodie :D

nz Online zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #55 on: May 18, 2016, 06:58:11 AM
 :clap:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #56 on: May 18, 2016, 02:12:37 PM
Ya know :think: The H502 is pretty much a Skeletool without the pliers :ahhh I have never thought about that til reading this thread :o Mind blown :D

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #57 on: May 18, 2016, 08:47:21 PM
Can someone fix the photos

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #58 on: May 18, 2016, 09:31:15 PM
Can someone fix the photos

Some photos from the older threads may be lost to time :( They did a software change or a switchover and some of the data may have been lost :think: Or at least I think I remember something like that happening ??? Or we may have had a crash once and they saved most of the info from a backup :think: I don't know for sure so maybe somebody higher up can tell us and clarify if what I am saying is right or completely wrong :D

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #59 on: May 20, 2016, 01:15:21 AM
Here are a few Leatherman knives I use.

The heavy H503 does basement duty, never leaving the house.  The screwdriver bits have a tendency to fall out of the knife handle.

Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%