Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Aitor?

J-sews · 10 · 3468

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Aitor?
on: September 16, 2006, 04:18:17 PM
Anybody here familiar with Aitor products, of Spain? Apparently they produce quite a selection of different multi-purpose knives and tools. I see a few of their products listed here and there from various European distributors, but am unable to find an Aitor home website.

I own an Aitor Fisherman tool that I picked up from CTG a few years ago. Kinda neat in the way it splits down the middle into two components. Nice quality too.

Then I ordered an Aitor Jardin this week, for no particular reason other than it caught my fancy.
http://jls-wednesbury.tripod.com/id36.html

~Bob
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Re: Aitor?
Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 08:25:03 PM
It is one of the better SAK "Wannabes" IMHO.
T

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 11:32:08 PM
Aitor review on SOSAKOnline...
http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=22&Itemid=35

As far as SAK-like knives go, this is one of the better ones.
Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Kapt Kopter

Reply #3 on: September 17, 2006, 08:23:55 PM
Those look pretty cool............I like the fishermans model

Kap
I

ar Offline mcniac

• Administrator
  • Don't Panic!
Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 05:18:00 PM
here is the site
http://www.aitor.com/

i have seen some of their sak like knife and i felt thast was good, also i bought really cheap a small aitor sak in the last knifeshow here, it is a good one, but the scales looks cheese and it doesn't have a lanyard

Offline Sharpdogs

Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 10:52:31 PM
If I am thinking of the right company they make some decent fixed blades as well.
w

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006, 01:52:58 AM
Thanks for the feedback fellas! I can't understand why I couldn't find the website.........never thought to look at www.aitor.com.  (Duh!)

The Aitor Fisherman tool/knife/miscellaneous device is sort of strange in how it is able to split apart. I guess the idea is that you can hold a fly in the vise in one half, while trimming it with the scissors from the other half. I'm not a fly fisherman, and so can't judge how useful this feature really is.

Overall quality is pretty good, but nowhere near the Swiss standard. Much better than the typical crap from China though.

I'll let you know what I think of the Jardin when it gets here. (If it EVER gets here.......)
Aitor F1.jpg
* Aitor F1.jpg (Filesize: 36.43 KB)
Aitor F2.jpg
* Aitor F2.jpg (Filesize: 38.91 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: September 19, 2006, 02:12:45 AM
I actually like the idea of a tool that seperates into two.  Basically the need for two tools is what drove Tim Leatherman to develop and market the PST in the first place, and some manufacturers have seen that and decided to put their own spin on it- like the SpyderWrench or that Hobo knife that splits into a fork and spoon.  I think it's the Case Hobo, but slippies have never been my strong suit.
Neat idea, but I always wondered how sturdy they would be.
Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: September 19, 2006, 11:04:30 PM
Thanks for the info.  The Cubierto De Campo and the Jardin models look very useful.
- Terry

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: September 20, 2006, 04:27:55 AM
Package for me?! Alright!
My Jardin came today. It's pretty nice, although somewhat on the fat side. Great quality of construction throughout. Polished to a mirror finish on all metal work except the wood saw. Green, laminated hardwood grip panels are a nice touch, but they add to the thickness of the tool, making it too wide IMO. Spear point knife blade is reasonably sharp, with an extremely thin hollow-ground profile. The saw blade has an unusual shape to its teeth, created by a series of alternating notches. Sharpness and bight feels very adequate on my thumb. I need to test it on some branches tomorrow.
The secatuers themselves are razor sharp, both upper and lower jaws. The folding "plier" handle feels plenty stout enough. I think the mechanism should be able to slice through any branch small enough to fit between the jaws. A heavy duty lanyard ring is cast integral with the frame.

Overall it is a well made tool. Much better than Chinese, but not as good as Swiss. 
Jardin.jpg
* Jardin.jpg (Filesize: 47.21 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%