Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Rumor Control - NEW SpydeRench for 2007

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
Rumor Control - NEW SpydeRench for 2007
on: September 08, 2006, 03:28:43 AM
I have seen several post that a new SpydeRench may be in the works for 2007!!!
Any truth to this rumor?

eodtech -----  aka   PolishSumgai

« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 03:30:38 AM by eodtech »
Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Rumor Control - NEW SpydeRench for 2007
Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 03:33:55 AM
I haven't heard anything about a new SpyderRench, but I hope they are coming out with one.  I thought the design of the original one was great- it was the only multi that addressed the issue of needing a screwdriver and pliers at the same time.  I thought it was brilliant, and I am really sorry I didn't buy one before the price got a little crazy on them.
If there's a new one coming out, I can't wait to see it.
Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Ging

• Skint Brit!!
Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 08:24:56 PM
From what I know (ie read on the Spyderco forum) a new Rench, with a better knife steel, was asendently released to a shop in the UK.  I dont know if that was the 'new' model as all the tools were the same, it just had upgraded knife  ???
E

Offline Alpha Niner Niner Smith

Reply #3 on: September 09, 2006, 05:24:51 PM
the spider wrench was an ugly hunk of crap.You can get the same thing by duck taping a monkey wrench to an endura.There's a reason it was discontinued.
A99S
O

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: September 09, 2006, 10:52:00 PM
Blasphemy!
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: September 10, 2006, 02:03:02 AM
Different strokes for different folks I guess.  It may not have been a popular or even pretty choice, but it was the only multi that addressed the issue of needing screwdriver and pliers at the same time.
Revolutionary when you think about it, but sometimes revolutions don't end up the way they were planned.  Still, makes it kind of valuable as a collector's piece, much like the Victorinox Auto Tool and Sport Ratchet.
Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Fred

• I'm the one they call Dr FeelGood
Reply #6 on: September 10, 2006, 10:03:23 PM
the spider wrench was an ugly hunk of crap.You can get the same thing by duck taping a monkey wrench to an endura.There's a reason it was discontinued.
A99S

A lot of tools were tried and failed.That's what evolution and experimentation is all about.You don't think the guys at Leaterman are watching what other companies are doing to see if it works?
Yabba dabba doo!

Offline damota

Reply #7 on: September 16, 2006, 02:13:34 PM
From what I know (ie read on the Spyderco forum) a new Rench, with a better knife steel, was asendently released to a shop in the UK.  I dont know if that was the 'new' model as all the tools were the same, it just had upgraded knife  ???

Heinie Haynes has it for 79 UKP Aus8 part serated blade.

http://www.heinnie.com/cgi-bin/heinnie_store/web_store.cgi?page=FRATOTAB/newadditions.htm&cart_id=

If that link does not work go to the home page and click on the blue <recent aditions> and go down to the 2nd May neer the bottom of the page, I think he exports to but I am ordering some stuff off him next week so I will ask him and let you know *if he does not*.

Dave

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: September 17, 2006, 03:09:06 AM
79 pounds?  That's a little pricey...  I hope they put their profit into re-doing their site.  I've never been much of a fan of navigating at Hennie.  So, for those who can't manage to find it:

The SpydeRench is possibly the most ingeniously designed multi tool ever made. Designed by an aerospace engineer along with the Spyderco research and development department the Spyderench features a host of vital tools handily located in an innovative package. It has a Spyderco blade and transforms into a long bit holder and adjustable wrench. In the past it has been described as a "toolbox on steroids".

Features:

* Full sized locking blade.
    * Slip joint pliers with a large and small bite.
    * 9/16" crescent wrench.
    * Four standard sized bits are housed inside the handle, replaceable with any standard size bits.
    * Long bit for tunneled electronic repairs featuring a phillips bit and diamond sharpener.
    * File has a concave, convex, and flat sharpening surface for deburring and honing.
    * Pivot pin rotates, opening the tool to full length.
    * Two halves separate allowing use of the crescent wrench and screwdriver at the same time.
    * Body is made from investment cast 17-4ph corrosion resistant stainless steel contoured for comfort.
    * Blade is AUS-8 steel.
    * Metal pocket clip provides a tip down carry.

Spyderco Multi Tools - Spyderench
Blade Steel: AUS-8
Blade Length: 2 1/2"
Overall Length: 4 1/2"
Hardness: RC: 58-60
Weight: 7.82 ounces (200 grams)
Heinnie Price £79.95

Def
Spyderwrench.jpg
* Spyderwrench.jpg (Filesize: 29.19 KB)

Offline damota

Reply #9 on: September 17, 2006, 03:59:23 PM
I guess you folks in the states would get the 17.5% VAT off that price and also Haynes's prices includes 1st class UK recorded delivery. I will be phoning them in the morning and will ask if/what/when. Any one interested in colecting Spyderco he has the UK legal knife that they made especially for the UK market as a EDC knife. 3" blade with the only safe slip lock I have seen were the open blade is held between finger and thumb so can not close in use.

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #10 on: September 17, 2006, 06:10:02 PM
So can you get us a price to get this shipped to the states?
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: September 17, 2006, 06:11:00 PM
Or Canada? 
Def

Offline damota

Reply #12 on: September 18, 2006, 11:17:46 AM
Sorry guys :(
Just got off the phone with them and although they did not sound too sure, as far as they know you pay the price as shown on the site and your respective custom's sort out if you get the VAT back or not. This does not sound right to me but if you buy through there site I think the software that does the credit card part will sort out any difference in price before you confirm the order?? You know, the bit were you say what country you are in?
From what was said most of the Spyderench's are going abroad.
I think Alpha 9 was correct in his statement about this tool apparently the sharpener/screw driver bit can fall out and get lost on some of these and it tends to nip hands when used. I know when it was around I read enough bad reports on it to stop me getting one.
I do have a Paul Chen Multi Tasker and a Foreman task light comeing tommorow though. :P
Dave

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: September 18, 2006, 11:44:27 AM
Let us know what you think of that Paul Chen model.  I have been looking veeeeery closely at one of those!
Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: September 19, 2006, 02:01:32 AM
Let us know what you think of that Paul Chen model.  I have been looking veeeeery closely at one of those!
Def

Picture? (Link? Description?)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: September 19, 2006, 02:17:00 AM

* Paul Chen.jpg (Filesize: 6.97 KB)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: September 19, 2006, 02:40:22 AM
Ahh yes, a most unique device. It was called the Excalibur Multi Snip in a previous rendition. Gerber sliding jaw mechanism, removable file, locking blade with thumb stud. Interesting indeed.

Be sure to tell us what you think of it damota!

Excalibur.jpg
* Excalibur.jpg (Filesize: 28.88 KB)

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #17 on: September 19, 2006, 07:49:56 AM
Ugh... Ok Def... I now strongly dislike you for posting that link to discountcutlery.net

I've been browsing that site for an hour now and have found a few things I want to order.  Anyone have any feedback on the site?  Are they decent to deal with?  I see that they are based in Michigan (where I live) so I guess if they screwed me I could always go and bust down their door... hehe
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: September 19, 2006, 11:38:33 AM
I don't actually know anything about them.  I first saw the Paul Chen on Hennie, but I haven't been able to find it there since.   Of course that might be because as I mentioned before, I hate trying to navigate that mess.  This was about the only other site I could locate it on and so I posted it.
Def

Offline damota

Reply #19 on: September 19, 2006, 02:27:25 PM
Ahh yes, a most unique device. It was called the Excalibur Multi Snip in a previous rendition. Gerber sliding jaw mechanism, removable file, locking blade with thumb stud. Interesting indeed.

Be sure to tell us what you think of it damota!

Just put it up in the review part.

Dave

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69