Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Super Tinker vs. Mechanic

us Offline turbov21

Super Tinker vs. Mechanic
on: September 26, 2009, 07:05:27 AM
I'm looking to get another SAK, so I've been looking at various mdels.  I finally stumbled across one that I like, the Mechanic.  However, part of my EDC is a LM Crunch, which not only has pliers but lacks scissors, something the Super Tinker has but the Mechanic does not.  The main appeal of the Crunch is the spring-loaded pliers work well in my hands, but it looks like the Mechanic's pliers are spring-loaded like the scissors. 

I guess my question is really is the Mechanic a good enough knife to replace the LM Crunch's pliers and the Super Tinker's everything else?

Thanks!

us Offline WH867

• No Life Club
Re: Super Tinker vs. Mechanic
Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 07:18:17 AM
How about the Tinker deluxe which has both pliers and scissors?

A SAK pliers will not take the place of your crunch pliers unless you only use it for light duty stuff.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 07:23:40 AM by WH867 »
Dennis

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 07:35:05 AM

A SAK pliers will not take the place of your crunch pliers unless you only use it for light duty stuff.

+1 :tu:
A

us Offline turbov21

Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 08:32:57 AM

I thought about the Deluxe Tinker, but I was trying to stay below $30.  Also, about the pliers, that's what I thought, but I wanted to have someone else say it.  So, thank you for saying it. :)

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 08:51:29 AM
I guess my question is really is the Mechanic a good enough knife to replace the LM Crunch's pliers and the Super Tinker's everything else?

Thanks!

I have a Mechanic and love it - regularly gets rotated into my EDC.  I got it because it has pliers but is only three layers thick, one layer thicker than my normal EDC Tinker.

Think of the Mechanic's pliers as sort of a heavy duty tweezers.  Very good for manipulating small objects, but not really suitable for tightening a nut, unless it's a very small nut.

Mechanic pliers also work great for grabbing jumper blocks on motherboards, hard drives, etc.  They provide the user with excellent reach into cramped, confined spaces, such as inside a computer case.

In other words, Mechanic's pliers are light duty, being less capable that even a LM Squirt.  Much less capable than a LM Juice or any full size LM.

I also love the Super Tinker, and would recommend it as a complimentary carry companion to your Crunch.

As WH867 mentioned, if you can tolerate one more layer of thickness, then the Deluxe Tinker at four layers would also be great for EDC with your Crunch.

N

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 06:46:25 PM
I have nothing to add that Ringzero hasn't said already.  :D

The Mechanic does feel nice in the hand though.  I like it.
I'm back!!

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 06:48:12 PM
felinevet may be able to get a deluxe tinker used for around 30.00

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 06:50:10 PM
I think Ringzero summed it up nicely. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline turbov21

Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 10:31:55 PM
I also love the Super Tinker, and would recommend it as a complimentary carry companion to your Crunch.

That's actually my current EDC.  They're a great duo.

felinevet may be able to get a deluxe tinker used for around 30.00

Hmm.  You don't say!  :drool:

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: September 27, 2009, 01:31:47 AM
I think that's what i payed for mine.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #10 on: September 27, 2009, 01:41:07 AM

I thought about the Deluxe Tinker, but I was trying to stay below $30.  Also, about the pliers, that's what I thought, but I wanted to have someone else say it.  So, thank you for saying it. :)

There you go, deluxe tinker for $18.

http://felinevet.sosakonline.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=1212&category_id=1c914424d2569bea3439fbcca9123a27&option=com_phpshop&Itemid=1

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #11 on: September 27, 2009, 09:07:59 AM

There you go, deluxe tinker for $18.

http://felinevet.sosakonline.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=1212&category_id=1c914424d2569bea3439fbcca9123a27&option=com_phpshop&Itemid=1

Great deal!

Felinevet always has amazing deals on used SAKs.  Almost always has used Tinkers availbable for less than 10 bucks, and used Super Tinkers for a little bit more.

Buying used SAKs from Felinevet is a great way to inexpensively try out different models for your EDC.

N

Offline Ben X

Reply #12 on: September 27, 2009, 11:24:26 AM
I EDC'ed a Mechanic for upwards of 7 or 8 years and all I can say is I highly recommend it over the Super Tinker. If you really want scissors, then grab a classic and put it on your keys. For years that was my combo and I cannot sing the praises of the Mechanic enough. I wore it out so much that Vic actually gave me a new one; nothing broken, just worn springs from so much use!
"

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #13 on: September 27, 2009, 12:00:28 PM
I EDC'ed a Mechanic for upwards of 7 or 8 years and all I can say is I highly recommend it over the Super Tinker. If you really want scissors, then grab a classic and put it on your keys. For years that was my combo and I cannot sing the praises of the Mechanic enough. I wore it out so much that Vic actually gave me a new one; nothing broken, just worn springs from so much use!

The Mechanic does sort of grow on you.  The more you EDC a Mechanic, the more everyday uses you find for its pliers.

I'm also kind of coming around to you point of view on the scissors issue.  Think that I'd rather pocket carry a Mechanic and a keychain SAK with scissors, rather than carry the bulkier Deluxe Tinker.

N

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD